Would AAC add UNC-Charlotte? | The Boneyard

Would AAC add UNC-Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Big time market in the state of North Carolina, UNCC is moving their football program to Division 1 in 2015 to be in the CUSA (they will compete in their first season of football this upcoming season). Would this be another move to help penetrate SEC/ACC country and to help us get exposure down there?

Reaction Score
Most of us are more concerned with getting into the B1G. That's is perfection for us for centuries to come. Our tradition before Calhoun and Auriemma was Ivies (particularly Yale), the Little Ivies, and land grant New England schools. The Ivies were the national powers. The Little Ivies were very powerful, too. This remained true up until the 1970s, at least. We became a soccer powerhouse in the mid-70s. Our soccer championship in 1948 was a miracle run.

But since you ask, ODU is probably a better candidate for the AAC in the future.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Look, any time you can add the seventh-best program in North Carolina, you just gotta do it.

Getting Charlotte would be like ramming the dildo of AAC greatness into the smugly-puckered arseholes of the SEC and ACC.

What a great idea.

Reaction Score
Damn Fishy, you always got the list of significance within states on hand.

Good thing we're #1 in Connecticut. The potential for the hockey program reminds me of what happened in soccer. We were losing to Sacred Heart not too long ago.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The saddest part --- they could be more attractive than UConn in 2020. The state is commited to bringing Charlotte into the ranks of UNC and NC State.

If UNC goes BiG in 2020, would the Charlotte Mafia look at Charlotte as a replacement if Charlotte is executing their plan?

Reaction Score
Let's see: Not relevant in football, & not in hoops since the days of "Cornbread" Maxwell. Seems like a perfect fit. Yikes.

Reaction Score
UNC-Charlotte? More attractive than UConn? Are you kidding? We invented the best iced cream in the world.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Delaware is a more realistic shot for this crapfest than Charlotte.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I couldn't care less...

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Don’t worry folks, when the ACC expands again, I am sure BC & company will find yet another data point out there that shows that UNCC (and Old Dominion) add so much more value than adding UConn. If UConn has not been saved by the B1G by that time and needs the ACC, UConn’s best hope would be if UNC, NC State, VA and VT unite in protecting their territory and refuse to add both schools. That would out-vote BC’s block and force BC to share their ‘state’ (New England).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don’t worry folks, when the ACC expands again, I am sure BC & company will find yet another data point out there that shows that UNCC (and Old Dominion) add so much more value than adding UConn. If UConn has not been saved by the B1G by that time and needs the ACC, UConn’s best hope would be if UNC, NC State, VA and VT unite in protecting their territory and refuse to add both schools. That would out-vote BC’s block and force BC to share their ‘state’ (New England).

We have more than enough off the wall theories around here - best not to start creating new ones.

Recycle the lunacy - it's the green alternative.

Drew

Reaction Score
Look, any time you can add the seventh-best program in North Carolina, you just gotta do it.

Getting Charlotte would be like ramming the dildo of AAC greatness into the smugly-puckered arseholes of the SEC and ACC.

What a great idea.

I currently live in Charlotte. They have a very big following here and most of the people here view them favorably. The school is expanding, they just redid their entire campus in the past 15 years. It has an undergraduate enrollment of over 20,000 (i.e. bigger than UConn, and a lot of schools in the AAC) has a pretty good rivalry with ECU (future conference member). Charlotte is a top 25 TV market to go along with the other TV markets we have nailed down in this conference. Oh and they sold out their spring game. Mock it all you want but this is another school that is a sleeping giant.

It does annoy me that nobody here seems interested in improving the AAC or doing well in it, we just want a B1G invite to materialize out of thin air. Focus on what we have and upgrading ourselves and we will get out eventually.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sleeping giants don't build 15,000 seat football stadiums.

As bad as the AAC is, Charlotte is actually beneath us - they're dryer lint.

Drew

Reaction Score
Sleeping giants don't build 15,000 seat football stadiums.

As bad as the AAC is, Charlotte is actually beneath us - they're dryer lint.

They do when they haven't played a single down of football. Ever. Stadium has the ability to be expanded to over 45,000 and is smack in the middle of campus

Reaction Score
They do when they haven't played a single down of football. Ever. Stadium has the ability to be expanded to over 45,000 and is smack in the middle of campus
I do believe large urban public schools do have a future. But let the school play first. ODU is even a better option right now. I came across a man who is a UConn grad and his daughter is deeply associated with Temple's women's basketball program. We discussed the plans of other schools in the AAC. He believes Temple is aiming to become a permanent member of the "Power 5".

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The AAC future under commish drew:

Uconn
Del
Umass
Ohio
Gast
Ny

Cincy
Charlotte
Memphis
Houston
Temple
Birmingham

USF
UCF
Ecu
Smiss
Wku
Nill

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Everyone "plans" to be a permanent member of the big five conferences.

UConn and Cincinnati have hope. Temple and Memphis have fantasies.

Schools like ODU and Charlotte just have pipe dreams.

Not happening. They don't even make our s--- conference look better.

Reaction Score
Wait...is this really a thread discussing the merits of adding a branch campus to the AAC?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It does annoy me that nobody here seems interested in improving the AAC or doing well in it, we just want a B1G invite to materialize out of thin air. Focus on what we have and upgrading ourselves and we will get out eventually.
Why should any UConn fan want to improve the AAC? So another school can leap frog us in the CR game? No thank you. I'd rather run the table every year, handle our business, and leave the rest of this crap conference on it's mid-major level. I see ZERO reason why UConn fans should want any school in the AAC or any school not in the "Power 5" to do well. It's every school for themselves and we just watched three schools from C-USA use our old conference to get to greener pastures (Louisville, DePaul, Marquette).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wait...is this really a thread discussing the merits of adding a branch campus to the AAC?
Why not? Commuter schools are now welcome in the ACC. Think outside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom