Worst Coach in a movie | The Boneyard

Worst Coach in a movie

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am on the fence between Norman Dale from Hoosiers and Coach Herman Boone from Remember the Titans. Both are terrible coaches.

Dale:

Implemented a ridiculous 3 pass rule.
Hired a raging alcoholic to be the assistant coach of a high school basketball team.
First had the team revolt on him, then had the entire town revolt on him, until a once in a lifetime superstar saved his ass after he had already been fired.
Tossed all his stupid rules out the window and let the superstar do whatever he wanted.
In the final game, after a huge collapse by his opponent, Dale calls a play that is so stupid his entire team refuses to take the court unless Dale calls another play.

Boone:

Gets carried all season by Yost, and despite a lot of talent, his offense underperforms.
The best player on his team is riding the bench until the starting QB gets hurt.
With almost no time left and about 75 yards to go, he calls a double reverse.

Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
I always thought the guy from South Bend was an idiot. Let that late lead slip away, and then didn't run a double at Chitwood to get the ball out of his hands. Make someone else beat you. However, I've softened my stance recently, since in real life, a well-respected coach actually allowed his slow clumsy center to switch on to a Chitwood equivalent and fall down. At least Chitwood had to score on a decent defender.

My other nominee would be the crazy coach in that movie Miracle that pulled the best goalie in the world in the Olympic semifinals after one soft goal.

Reaction Score
How about Buttermaker? He bought his daughters contract with a training bra, then sat in his little league dugout drinking beer while she blew out her arm.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am on the fence between Norman Dale from Hoosiers and Coach Herman Boone from Remember the Titans. Both are terrible coaches.

Dale:

Hired a raging alcoholic to be the assistant coach of a high school basketball team.
First had the team revolt on him, then had the entire town revolt on him, until a once in a lifetime superstar saved his ass after he had already been fired.
Tossed all his stupid rules out the window and let the superstar do whatever he wanted.
In the final game, after a huge collapse by his opponent, Dale calls a play that is so stupid his entire team refuses to take the court unless Dale calls another play.

Boone:

Gets carried all season by Yost, and despite a lot of talent, his offense underperforms.
The best player on his team is riding the bench until the starting QB gets hurt.

Any thoughts?

I love Hoosiers so I have a pretty strong feeling about it.

1. Norman Dale implemented a 4 pass rule, which at first glance amplifies your point a little more. However, he didn’t have a go-to scorer. In the era prior to shot clocks, it was a way to slow down the game, necessary for a small school and a team of 6. Jimmy changed that when he joined up. Then Coach Dale adjusted his principles to take advantage of his team’s strengths. What a novel concept…In real life Milan played The Stall as well, but it did not make for good entertainment in 1986.

2. I can't disagree with you more about Shooter...Everyone deserves a second chance. It was a noble gesture.

3. Coach Dale gives each player on the team an ultimatum ("All of you have the weekend. Decide whether or not you want to be a part of this team or not, under the following condition. What I say when it comes to this basketball team is the law, absolutely and without discussion.”). They all came back, plus Buddy, and later Jimmy. He never lost his team like he did the town.

4. He lost the town because they were set in their conservative thinking about the game in farm town Indiana (Zone defense is all we’ve ever played and is the only defense that will work now. - paraphrased)

5. I don’t think the final play is an inmate running the asylum situation at all. I actually think it’s a combination of, ride the horse until she bucks you, or don’t ride at all and Dance with the one who brought ya. For good measure, everyone thought that a Jimmy shot double teamed, was better than a wide open jumper by anyone else.

Does your portrayal of Boone remind anyone of anyone else? Hint: He’s an amalgamation of two individuals on the UConn football staff last year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I always thought the guy from South Bend was an idiot. Let that late lead slip away, and then didn't run a double at Chitwood to get the ball out of his hands. Make someone else beat you. However, I've softened my stance recently, since in real life, a well-respected coach actually allowed his slow clumsy center to switch on to a Chitwood equivalent and fall down. At least Chitwood had to score on a decent defender.

My other nominee would be the crazy coach in that movie Miracle that pulled the best goalie in the world in the Olympic semifinals after one soft goal.

Can you really call Viktor Tikhonov a bad movie coach, when that is exactly what happened in real life?

Husky25

Reaction Score
For the record...Bud Kilmer, Head Coach of the West Canaan Coyotes is a real B@$tard...As is Coach Nickerson in All the Right Moves. Although he did build up Tom Cruise's confidence enough (5'-7" corner) to believe he could turn down out-of-hand full ride Div 1 scholarships because their engineering program wasn't very strong.

Reaction Score
Who was the special teams coach that taught Lucy how to hold a football for Charlie Brown ?????

That dude should have been fired dozens of times.

IMG_5603d.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about Buttermaker? He bought his daughters contract with a training bra, then sat in his little league dugout drinking beer while she blew out her arm.

He was the Little League Billy Martin. Got that team to overachieve.

Reaction Score
Can you really call Viktor Tikhonov a bad movie coach, when that is exactly what happened in real life?

My attempt at humor whiffed a bit on that one. Was pretending I thought it was fiction.

Reaction Score
The coach from Dodgeball.

Patches O'Houlihan? C'mon. He established a winning attitude in the locker room. And the wrench drill was genius.

Nick Nolte was pretty bad, needing all that cheating, and then turning a press conference into a confessional.

Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy) had a much more talented team and lost on a fumblerooski.

It worked, but giving the ok for a wobbly-kneed old catcher like Tom Berenger to put down a bunt was pretty foolish. That team had no business being there, though.

And I don't care if he could throw 110 mph, there's no way any coach should let Steve Nebraska strike out 27 in a row.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
To be fair that was just his ex-girlfriends daughter not his. :)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fonzi was a terrific coach in Waterboy. His team was terrible, his Defensive Coordinator was a total idiot who was incomprehensible, and his best player was severely developmentally challenged. Bill Belichek couldn't have taken that team to a winning record.

Reaction Score
Coach Moreland Smith trying to rescind the scholarship of Henry Steele in One on One. It was obvious that Steele was the second coming of Pistol Pete. And unlike Ajou Deng, who dominated the chairs in the half court, Steele dominated his girlfriend and a bunch elementary school kids at the end.

Reaction Score
Jerry Van Dyke portrayed an awful coach in COACH yet somehow the show was very funny.................

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I see what you did there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
bad-news-bears-GC.jpg

Buttermaker.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It worked, but giving the ok for a wobbly-kneed old catcher like Tom Berenger to put down a bunt was pretty foolish. That team had no business being there, though.

Hold the phone!!!! A game under .500 at August 15 and then going on a 32-9 run down the stretch is a miracle piece of managing. Lou Brown should be in the Hall of Fame for that performance.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score

And they were playing Muncie Central, not South Bend.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Jerry Van Dyke portrayed an awful coach in COACH yet somehow the show was very funny.................

Ding Ding Ding Ding. Winner! He is the inspiration for GDL.....
Though Luther is charming. GDL....not so much

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Dale:

Boone:

Any thoughts?

Sunshine Ronnie Bass blocking for the Rev on the last play was classic!
Coach Boone was awesome! So many stars in that movie and so many quotes. "Football ain't fun, is it son?" Gotta disagree, respectively, Nelson. Great post though

Reaction Score
And they were playing Muncie Central, not South Bend.

In the movie, it was South Bend.

Look at how poorly coached they were. No shot clock and the dude dribbles up the sideline slowly into a trap over midcourt that he should have seen coming a mile away. The Hickory players are even giving away their plan with hand signals. It was like he wanted to turn the ball over. Call a TO and get organized, coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom