Worst blown call in sports history | The Boneyard

Worst blown call in sports history

Reaction Score
As we gear up for the chat room and the numerous ref frustrations, what would you submit as the worst call ever made in Sports?

How about submit this gem:

I watched that game with my grandsons both huge third generation Tiger fans
He literally stole one of games great achievements a perfect game away with a call that a little league umpire would have gotten correctly

Reaction Score
As we gear up for the chat room and the numerous ref frustrations, what would you submit as the worst call ever made in Sports?

Feels pretty hard to top this one. If we expanded it to worst officiating performance, I’d have to submit the infamous Livan game in the 1997 NLCS.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I think you nailed it with the OP, as I knew you expected to.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1972 Mens Basketball Olympic Finals. A series of blown calls by the refs and dirty play by the Russians. I, along with the rest of the country, was in disbelief the way the game ended. The USA team members refused their Silver Medal because of the way they were screwed.

That was fixed. The worst blown call was the PI in 2018 NFC Championship Game, Saints v Rams.

A case can also be made for the Immaculate Reception and Maradona's Hand of God in the 1986 World Cup. Both were epically bad per the rules but easily missed in the days before replay, but neither was made at a point in the game where the victimizes team (Saints) were seconds from winning a very important game, not a final, but as close as it gets in US sports.

Reaction Score
The perfect game blown call is horrible. I recall the interview with Jim Joyce after. He was fighting back tears and accepted blame for his bad call.

As a young Yankee hater I remember Reggie Jackson sticking his butt in the way of a throw to first base in the 1977 WS.

That may be second in my book only to the Jeff Maier interference.

Honorable mention goes to every game Angel Hernandez is behind the plate.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Anyway, I wanted to include Denkinger's call above as that one basically decided a World Series, but only one vid per post.

This is what immediately came to mind.

The Galarraga one is slightly worse, but World Series > perfect game.

Reaction Score

The tragedy of this one was that replay was widely introduced like a year or two later -- this call would have been trivially overturned and nobody would know or care about the umpire and Galarraga would have his place in history.

Reaction Score
This is what immediately came to mind.

The Galarraga one is slightly worse, but World Series > perfect game.
I dunno. The Cardinals still could have lost that game a thousand different ways even if the call wasn't blown. In the other case, the umpire's blown call singularly and decisively nullified a perfect game.

Reaction Score
That was fixed. The worst blown call was the PI in 2018 NFC Championship Game, Saints v Rams.

A case can also be made for the Immaculate Reception and Maradona's Hand of God in the 1986 World Cup. Both were epically bad per the rules but easily missed in the days before replay, but neither was made at a point in the game where the victimizes team (Saints) were seconds from winning a very important game, not a final, but as close as it gets in US sports.
Is there evidence that the Immaculate Reception was a bad call?

Hand of God was, well, very obviously a handball that was impossible to see in real time.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I dunno. The Cardinals still could have lost that game a thousand different ways even if the call wasn't blown. In the other case, the umpire's blown call singularly and decisively nullified a perfect game.

True, of course. I guess I should have written World Series >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Perfect game.

As a fan, how much angrier would you be if that happened to your team in the 9th inning a closeout WS game vs in a regular season game even if, as you point out, there was more direct causal connection between the blown call and the outcome in the latter? Personally, exponentially.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom