Worried? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This year's incoming freshman class was easily the best in the nation.

Sorry to disagree, but UConn's freshman class wasn't close to being the best ON THE COURT. The latest example of who is better was Monday night. More than once this season people have stated that based on performance, UConn's class is not "the best". One of the best perhaps, time will tell.

Just curious on how you determine what the best freshman class is.

Reaction Score
Just curious on how you determine what the best freshman class is.

How about performance on the court? Keeping structural discipline offensively and defensively. Making clutch shots (including foul shots) or getting clutch rebounds. Focusing on your assignments. Doing the foregoing, not just in blowout games, but also in the games against the top tier. Also, how about actually playing meaningful minutes in those top tier games?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How about performance on the court? Keeping structural discipline offensively and defensively. Making clutch shots (including foul shots) or getting clutch rebounds. Focusing on your assignments. Doing the foregoing, not just in blowout games, but also in the games against the top tier. Also, how about actually playing meaningful minutes in those top tier games?

Wow. So, you have watched ALL the other freshman and know how they have done in those situation?

What teams have had better freshman this year? I'm not saying UConn has had the best at all. Just wondering how you know that UConn's has NOT performed the best.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Responding to the thread title in my usual way....

"Don't worry - Be Happy" :)

Reaction Score
"I'm not saying UConn has had the best at all."

Good, the question is settled then.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"I'm not saying UConn has had the best at all."

Good, the question is settled then.

No, I didn't say they didn't have them either.

I'm still waiting for your list of freshman players you have critiqued that make them better than the combination of Tuck, Stewart and Jefferson. You seem to know. Why no answer?

Reaction Score
I do not think ND misses a beat next year with Jewel Loyd taking over Diggins responsibilities at guard.

Jewel Loyd is an excellent player with a world of potential, but she doesn't have the magic that Skylar Diggins has, and yes Notre Dame will miss a beat next year especially when the game is on the line.

Reaction Score
No, I didn't say they didn't have them either.

I'm still waiting for your list of freshman players you have critiqued that make them better than the combination of Tuck, Stewart and Jefferson. You seem to know. Why no answer?

What are you trying to provoke? A wizzing contest? Are you an attorney?

I expressed an opinion. I didn't say I critiqued all the freshmen. In my opinion, ND, to name one team, has TO DATE a better performing class on the court, based on the criteria I mentioned above. Since I only need mention one team I believe to have a better performing freshman class than UConn, my opinion stands. UConn doesn't have the best class of freshmen as of this point in time.

Also, since you seem to disagree, perhaps you would grace me with your reason(s) why UConn does have the best class on the court, since you have obviously have seen the other teams that play their freshmen and presumably think they have all performed worse than the UConn freshmen.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What are you trying to provoke? A wizzing contest? Are you an attorney?

I expressed an opinion. I didn't say I critiqued all the freshmen. In my opinion, ND, to name one team, has TO DATE a better performing class on the court, based on the criteria I mentioned above. Since I only need mention one team I believe to have a better performing freshman class than UConn, my opinion stands. UConn doesn't have the best class of freshmen as of this point in time.

Also, since you seem to disagree, perhaps you would grace me with your reason(s) why UConn does have the best class on the court, since you have obviously have seen the other teams that play their freshmen and presumably think they have all performed worse than the UConn freshmen.

I'm not an attorney, but I play one on The Boneyard.

I won't go into other teams, as you feel ND has a better performing freshman class. I'm thinking you can't even name the other two without looking it up.

ND has 3 freshman. UConn has 3 freshman. Let's take a look.

First overall season play against all teams.

ND - Loyd 11.7, 5.3, 2.1 Mabrey 3.7, 1.2, 1.5 and Huffman 2.3, 2.2, .5

Total 17, 8.5, 3.8

UConn - Stewart 12.2, 6.5, 1.0 Tuck 6.2, 3.7, 1.5 and Jefferson 4.2, 1.9. 1.7

Total 22.6, 12.1, 4.2

Advantage UConn.

UConn also plays a much tougher schedule than ND.

How about Monday night's game.

ND - Loyd 54 minutes 6,6,4 Mabrey 3 minutes 0,1,0 Huffman DNP
UConn - Stewart 40 minutes 5,6,1 (5 blocks) Tuck 34 minutes 11,7,6 Jefferson 2,0,0

Looks like Uconn freshman outplayed the ND freshman.

I'm too tired to look up more. I beleive that Mabrey had a nice game in the first matchup. But that was about it for her. Loyd is a wonderful player. No doubt. But statistically, Uconn's freshman are better.

I think Stewarts missed FT's has you crazed.

Reaction Score
I'm not an attorney, but I play one on The Boneyard.

I won't go into other teams, as you feel ND has a better performing freshman class. I'm thinking you can't even name the other two without looking it up.

ND has 3 freshman. UConn has 3 freshman. Let's take a look.

First overall season play against all teams.

ND - Loyd 11.7, 5.3, 2.1 Mabrey 3.7, 1.2, 1.5 and Huffman 2.3, 2.2, .5

Total 17, 8.5, 3.8

UConn - Stewart 12.2, 6.5, 1.0 Tuck 6.2, 3.7, 1.5 and Jefferson 4.2, 1.9. 1.7

Total 22.6, 12.1, 4.2

Advantage UConn.

UConn also plays a much tougher schedule than ND.

How about Monday night's game.

ND - Loyd 54 minutes 6,6,4 Mabrey 3 minutes 0,1,0 Huffman DNP
UConn - Stewart 40 minutes 5,6,1 (5 blocks) Tuck 34 minutes 11,7,6 Jefferson 2,0,0

Looks like Uconn freshman outplayed the ND freshman.

I'm too tired to look up more. I beleive that Mabrey had a nice game in the first matchup. But that was about it for her. Loyd is a wonderful player. No doubt. But statistically, Uconn's freshman are better.

I think Stewarts missed FT's has you crazed.

If you think the stats compiled against cupcakes suits your purpose, have at it. Likewise a survey of one. I'll not agree with you, because if I did, we would both be wrong. I stand by my OPINION.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If you think the stats compiled against cupcakes suits your purpose, have at it. Likewise a survey of one. I'll not agree with you, because if I did, we would both be wrong. I stand by my OPINION.

Based on what? Seriously, at least I back mine up with some facts. You miss the fact that UConn plays a tougher schedule? That 2 of the 3 freshman for ND see little time against good teams?

You are basically saying that Loyd is better than Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No way that Loyd will get the "star" treatment from the refs. After all, she is not noted as a "twitter princess" is she ?
Talking about on the court as a player, not as America's sweetheart.

Reaction Score
IMHO, there's really only two reasons we're not undefeated and a shoo-in for a national championship: Griner and Diggins, and only Diggins because she has McBride, and Griner because she has Sims. UCONN can still beat both teams if they take care of the ball and stay out of foul trouble, lately easier said than done. I agree that ND will be strong next year, but Diggins' loss for ND will be equivalent to UCONN's losing Taurasi and her swagger. That seems to have gone a long way for ND. Got to give Diggins credit, like it or not. I think UCONN will be in the driver's seat next year, and can still win it all this year. It wouldn't hurt to have a true go-to player for crunch time on the court, a la Moore or Taurasi. At times I've thought we finally had that leader but I don't believe that to be the case anymore. It could be Dolson or KML, or even Faris, but the failure to "close out" close ganes against great teams suggests this just isn't the case.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And she won't get the same calls on the court as Diggins does.
Sure she will she plays for ND. Diggins was far from the only ND player to get favorable calls.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I completely agree with Ice, Notre Dame will be a first-class team next year.

Reaction Score
Based on what? Seriously, at least I back mine up with some facts. You miss the fact that UConn plays a tougher schedule? That 2 of the 3 freshman for ND see little time against good teams?

You are basically saying that Loyd is better than Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson.

Lord, you are an obstinate man. It is an opinion. That means if the moon was in the sky last night, it counts. It is an OPINION. I do not believe, at this point in the season, that UConn has the best freshman class. You can quote until your private parts are blue, you can give me all the "facts" you want to, you can quote all the "experts" you want to, my OPINION is that UConn doesn't have the best freshman class AT THIS POINT. Do you understand?

Until this last game, Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense. MoJeff, can't even get in the game for meaningful minutes and until two games ago Tuck (because of her injury) couldn't get in the game. Incidentally, I believe she will be the best of the three when all is said and done.

So, lets just leave it as a difference of opinion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Welcome to the "Men's game". Not too many years ago, UConn women had something like 4 of the top ten players in the country that recruiting year. Those numbers are hard to come by for even the Kentucky's, Duke's and UNC's for the men's game. UConn men - as big time a national program as they are - never have come close to pulling that off. Sometimes a Top 10'er and another in the Top 25. Sometimes one in the Top 50. Girls game has been different - up til now.
??

High school rank
#14 Bria Hartley
#1 Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
#1 Breanna Stewart
#2 Moriah Jefferson
#6 Morgan Tuck

Geno also landed #6 Samarie Walker and #1 Elena DelleDonne. Stefanie Dolson was ranked #39. LOL. She's one of the best centers in the country.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Lord, you are an obstinate man. It is an opinion. That means if the moon was in the sky last night, it counts. It is an OPINION. I do not believe, at this point in the season, that UConn has the best freshman class. You can quote until your private parts are blue, you can give me all the "facts" you want to, you can quote all the "experts" you want to, my OPINION is that UConn doesn't have the best freshman class AT THIS POINT. Do you understand?

Until this last game, Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense. MoJeff, can't even get in the game for meaningful minutes and until two games ago Tuck (because of her injury) couldn't get in the game. Incidentally, I believe she will be the best of the three when all is said and done.

So, lets just leave it as a difference of opinion.
Fine, it's an opinion not based on fact.

No problem.

Reaction Score
??

High school rank
#14 Bria Hartley
#1 Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
#1 Breanna Stewart
#2 Moriah Jefferson
#6 Morgan Tuck

Geno also landed #6 Samarie Walker and #1 Elena DelleDonne. Stefanie Dolson was ranked #39. LOL. She's one of the best centers in the country.

Yep. But there are storm clouds on the horizon. The men's team has seen them, the fans of the lady Huskies not so much.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yep. But there are storm clouds on the horizon. The men's team has seen them, the fans of the lady Huskies not so much.
There are no lady huskies. Sheeesh.

How far on the horizon? UConn is primed for a great class in 2014.

Reaction Score
Thanks to the people taking this thread seriously, because it is one of the best topics discussed here in a couple of years. I wrote this thing on the fly today and tried to copy it in. I apologize for the font, which is awful. Anyway, a few thoughts, for whatever they are worth:

Some of what I'm thinking came out of a previous post entitled "This team just doesn't have it," a well-reasoned argument by a loyal fan that while UConn is a wonderful team and it's a great accomplishment to be $3 in the country, it still is #3 and unlikely to advance further than that this year.

So what happens if you take that argument (assuming you agree, and I do) and run with it? For example, what will next year be like? Well, UConn will not have enough players. That much is clear. They are getting a top=notch guard, and boy could they use more guards. But if someone goes down with an injury, as inevitably happens, the team will find its hardest 3-4 games very difficult to win. Just look what happened this year. UConn loses its second game against ND and people immediately suggest that things would have been different if Brianna Banks were playing. They may well be right, but think about it. You are the #3 team in the country, recruiting All Americans from all over, with the best coach in women's basketball, and you need the presence of a player who until this year was simply not a factor?

What will next year be like? It will not be pretty. UConn will win the games it is supposed to, often by staggering amounts, and will struggle mightily against the other 3-6 teams.

And what will it look like down the road? UConn will get some top-notch recruits, but despite Geno's statements (what's he going to say, after all?), its presence in The League With No Name will hurt his chances to consistently bring in the best. I doubt there will be any more UConn classes like the Fab Five combo of a few years ago.

So here's something to think about, Boneyarders, something raised by another poster: Nothing ever stays the same. Could it be that women's basketball, like most everything else, is going to run in cycles, and that UConn is the next Tennessee? That it is the Last Old Thing, and that other teams -- Baylor, maybe, or Notre Dame -- are the Next New Things? And speaking of ND, it's not like they are standing still next year. Don't they have some recruits coming in?

There are several factors that argue for this cycle theory, as much as we may not like to think about them. First is the league situation. Yes, UConn may some day get into the ACC or some other legitimate league, but the damage may be done by then.

Also, there are more top-quality recruits, and they are being spread farther around the basketball universe. Let's face it: In spite of protestations to the contrary and in spite of picking up a fine recruit, UConn got its clock cleaned in the last recruiting class. North Carolina is apparently a first-rate recruiting stop in spite of its second rate coach. North Carolina? Seriously? Seems that way. I’m afraid that this may be the new reality, and maybe UConn recovers, adapts and does just as well as ever, and maybe it becomes as irrelevant as Louisiana Tech.

Reaction Score
There are no lady huskies. Sheeesh.

How far on the horizon? UConn is primed for a great class in 2014.

That would be next season, 2114, right?

UConn's recruiting class has one (1) guard, as of now. Chong may (and I stress may) be a suitable point IN TIME or not, but UConn really needs a couple of highest quality point guards that can run a team. It they don't get them, there will be a lot of talent recruited that will be wasted over time. If there has been anything that has been shown this year, it is the absolute necessity for quality guards.

Banks, may or may not return to her former self. At this point UConn doesn't know. Nobody does. MoJeff may or may not develop into a serviceable point. I know I will get killed for this statement, but I don't see her being the answer. Her body type just doesn't seem to be the kind to develop into a highest level D-1 point. I HOPE I AM MISTAKEN and she proves me very wrong. OK, who else? No, she is not a point. Bria can hopefully help, like this year. But, what if she doesn't recover her sophomore skills?

One looks a the roster and surmises they should be great and maybe they will be. But this year certainly hasn't gone to plan at this point.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

UConn's recruiting class has one (1) guard, as of now. Chong may (and I stress may) be a suitable point IN TIME or not, but UConn really needs a couple of highest quality point guards that can run a team. It they don't get them, there will be a lot of talent recruited that will be wasted over time. If there has been anything that has been shown this year, it is the absolute necessity for quality guards.

Banks, may or may not return to her former self. At this point UConn doesn't know. Nobody does. MoJeff may or may not develop into a serviceable point. I know I will get killed for this statement, but I don't see her being the answer. Her body type just doesn't seem to be the kind to develop into a highest level D-1 point. I HOPE I AM MISTAKEN and she proves me very wrong. OK, who else? No, she is not a point. Bria can hopefully help, like this year. But, what if she doesn't recover her sophomore skills?

One looks a the roster and surmises they should be great and maybe they will be. But this year certainly hasn't gone to plan at this point.

You must be a fun person to sit next to at a game.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

You say MoJeff can't be a good pg because of her body type?. You must joking.

I will also point out that the only two teams that UConn has not beaten this year take big hits for graduation, while UConn loses only one significant contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom