OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 41 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
So we can skip the match this afternoon? I think Belgium is a heavy favorite, but so was Spain yesterday. Japan is better than Russia.

Japan winning would be a bigger upset. I think they are better than Russia, but Russia had the home crowd and the perfect strategy to bottle up Spain.

Belgium is playing well, and even though they've had a really weak schedule thus far, have too many weapons for Japan.

Japan is like a second home to me, and even though I'll be pulling for them, I'm still intrigued by this Belgian team.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't like him either for the exact same reason. The diving in general has got to stop, it's ridiculous. My kids (12 and 17) play the game, and no one is dropping like that and rolling around on the ground.
My 12 year old daughter observed last week that her team appears to be the only team in our league that doesn't flop and stall. It never even crosses our players' minds and we never even address it as coaches. But it does seem that every team we have played has at least a few floppers, and a few teams seem to be coached to stall, complete with their coach yelling not-so-subtle cues to do so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's all on FIFA and the refs. They reward that behavior with calls. Until they start carding for dramatics, it will continue.

I'd love to see a hockey style penalty box for this. Whether you are fouled or not, if you roll around and act like somebody just shot you with an AK47 you sit for 2 minutes in the box. If you were not fouled, you get a yellow as well.

Sadly, I think the cause of this grotesque display of grown men emasculating themselves publicly, if that there is one on referee and as often as not he can't see anything. Put at least three out there, one in midfield one on each end, and maybe these guys wouldn't feel the need to sell every single minor kick.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Belgium > Spain by a wide margin this Cup. They are killing teams while Spain was struggling to get a result.

Reaction Score
It's all on FIFA and the refs. They reward that behavior with calls. Until they start carding for dramatics, it will continue.
That is the biggest thing that needs to change about soccer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_104320.png
    IMG_20180702_104320.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 56

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Neymar does embellish the foul or even “fake” them. That’s why I love Messi. Rarely do you see him dive or go down when there is contact. But Neymar does have all eyes on him and they opponents are looking to chop him down to break up th rhythm. I don’t blame him for doing what he’s doing even if it is sad. For Barcelona I never really saw him do any of this stuff there. Might be because of th older players and Messi.

Reaction Score
I see what you mean about having some sympathy for Neymar. But you can go down without all the extra writhing and screaming.

The thing is, the way he plays sometimes- and I agree I saw less of it when he was at Barcelona- defenders feel like he's trying to embarrass them.

I played defense for many years in my youth and when I was up against a player who would toy with me, especially successfully, I'd want to knock him on his as-.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And there's a situation where Belgium should have gone down. The potential reward is too great.

Keeping his feet was a mistake.

Reaction Score
Neymar does embellish the foul or even “fake” them. ... For Barcelona I never really saw him do any of this stuff there. Might be because of th older players and Messi.
Yeah, Neymar's Duke-like flop-a-bouts almost suggest he played with Real Madrid for a few years where he was tutored by ronaldo. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Japan came to play today, love the way they are playing right now. For sure Belgium is more talented, but Japan isn't playing scared and is looking to attack at every opportunity.

Reaction Score
Neymar embellishes too much, but he also gets fouled more than anyone else, and early on in the tournament the refs weren't protecting him and weren't handing out cards on overzealous fouls.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Belgium making the mistake I thinks several superior sides have made (to my untrained eye), of trying to dribble too deep into the box. Japan isn't playing everyone back, but they are playing defensively. Nice long ball there before half..one of those gets dropped, deflected, whatever and you have the chaos that leads to a goal.

Reaction Score
Belgium getting sliced up by the blue samurai. Possibly another big boy out.

Reaction Score
what a game. Japan looks great. Disciplined, hard working, swarming the ball on defense and sending runners on the counter....a lot like their culture i suppose. Fun team to watch.

Belgium needs to get Dembele in the game, let him start the attack from deep, and get Debruyne up the field

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I see what you mean about having some sympathy for Neymar. But you can go down without all the extra writhing and screaming.

The thing is, the way he plays sometimes- and I agree I saw less of it when he was at Barcelona- defenders feel like he's trying to embarrass them.

I played defense for many years in my youth and when I was up against a player who would toy with me, especially successfully, I'd want to knock him on his as-.
Yeah I agree defenders want to lay him. Don’t blame them. I also like Neymar’s flair bc I feel the game is missing individuality compared to years past

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom