OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just an incredible show put on by both Portugal and Spain. Similar to the Lebron and Jordan debate, Messi and Ronaldo (don't forget pele) both have their claims of being the best ever, but I just want to enjoy both players while they are both still competing at a high level. Today was Ronaldo's day and let's see what Messi can do tomorrow.

Saw the second half. Great soccer. Was rooting for Portugal. The tie sets things up nicely. Both teams should get through but now goal differential will determine the group winner.

Reaction Score
One of the work sites I manage is in Costa Rica....am giving them all the morning off to watch Los Ticos next Friday...they're psyched. Of course, if I didn't give them the morning off, they might have all called in sick...:D

Reaction Score
One of the work sites I manage is in Costa Rica....am giving them all the morning off to watch Los Ticos next Friday...they're psyched.
Kudos on the morning offer @Yardigan, but win or loss Los Ticos won't show up or do any work if they do next Friday afternoon. Just call it a week Thursday; they'll be even more psyched!

Reaction Score
I will be cheering for ColOmbia (not to be confused with ColUmbia please) since my wife is from there. Iceland too because they are underdogs and Iran too.
Pulling for Sweden to do well.

Cheering against Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil and Germany because who wants to see the same ol' same ol'... Uruguay too because I can't stand Suarez. Cheering against Russia and Saudi Arabia too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Great game plan by Iceland. Well deserved. The entire Argentina team doesn’t just play. They always look to Messi. Messi has multiple chances himself to seal it but didn’t. How many times did an Argentina player get near the box but dribble backwards or pass square? They needed to shoot. The coach kept 3-4 players on the bench that should’ve started. Also, how much does having a good-great goalkeeper matter? Argentina’s main goalie was injured before the cup. Now they have some guy who looks as if he’s never played before. Iceland’s keep will be getting some big names calling for him if he keeps this up if he hasn’t already

Reaction Score
Ice...Ice... ____ !
My son came up with... their fans should take a cue from cheesehead fans...and get ice cube heads

Love their chant, it gives me chills!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great game plan by Iceland. Well deserved. The entire Argentina team doesn’t just play. They always look to Messi. Messi has multiple chances himself to seal it but didn’t. How many times did an Argentina player get near the box but dribble backwards or pass square? They needed to shoot. The coach kept 3-4 players on the bench that should’ve started. Also, how much does having a good-great goalkeeper matter? Argentina’s main goalie was injured before the cup. Now they have some guy who looks as if he’s never played before. Iceland’s keep will be getting some big names calling for him if he keeps this up if he hasn’t already

Man of the match in my opinion. The GK was the difference.

Reaction Score
I am already sick of the narrative by the Fox commentators on who is better Messi vs. Ronaldo. Both players are amazing, but I would rather play with Messi, Ronaldo is a floppingfag for his size. Messi constantly gets manhandled.

Reaction Score
I love the nationalism of soccer....everyone in/from a country supporting that team...the 'Cubes' (my name for Iceland)...Costa Rica, from having been there, seen their national stadium and heard first hand about the fervor surrounding the team... but, one thing I'm kind of sick of...anytime two players bump into each other, one of them goes down like he's either been shot, or suffered the same injury as Gordon Hayward. Then, 10 seconds later...he's running around like nothing happened. I've joked about soccer being the only sport where the refs are tougher than the players, but was watching a game today (may have been Iceland), where a guy bumped into a ref and went down like a sack of potatoes.... I'm glad these guys aren't really getting hurt, but good grief, sometimes it looks like they're popping a dozen acl's per game...

Reaction Score
I never understood the narrative that soccer is boring. Especially pro soccer at the highest level.
There are no commercial breaks, except half time, and it's constant action for 90 min. So you get more action, and the game takes far less time than football and baseball.

Talk about wanting to watch paint dry, how about we talk about baseball. I used to love baseball, now I prefer Basketball first, soccer 2nd, and everything else after that. Baseball is 30 seconds of watching a pitcher walk around the mound adjusting his crotch, then 3 seconds of action. Rinse, repeat. And the product is so diluted with 162 games a year, rendering each individual game seemingly meaningless.

Similar deal with football in that there is minimal time of actual action and a lot of standing around and commercials. But football is still far more entertaining than baseball.

For me, and for many of my younger generation-
Soccer>Baseball, hockey, football. Too many stoppages for our attention spans in baseball and football.
The NBA runs the same play 90% of the time, pick and roll, exciting, every 24 seconds over and over. There’s 45 seconds between football plays which is more than baseball pitches. Someone catches a screen pass, gains a first down and acts like he just won something, infact a routine tackle is worthy of a celebration dance. Each to their own.

Reaction Score
To each their own is right...in baseball...there's barely enough time between pitches (and sometimes there isn't)...to think of what the pitcher could/should throw/where, and all the possibilities of what could happen. Although...even that has changed some, with nearly every play being a home run, strikeout, or walk. The ginormous increase in strikeouts is not helping anything...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom