(Womans Game) opinion on foul | The Boneyard

(Womans Game) opinion on foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
For anybody who watched the Uconn women's game, that blocked lay up faris took that GA got the T for. that that wasn't a foul right? Everyone on the women's board is screaming bloody murder about it. All I can think of is that in the men's game, much worse doesn't get called.

Reaction Score
It wasn't an especially hard foul, but the body contact and the slash across the arm has to be called.

This is actually one of the biggest problems in the women's game. They allow as much contact as they do in the men's game (except against Skylar Diggins), but the players don't have the strength to finish through contact. It becomes a really ugly game with little offense, and incurs ridicule from chauvinist meatheads like us.

Reaction Score
Not intentional or flagrant - but clearly a foul (IMO). It was more the angle of the contact (the turtle came across to challenge) if it was straight up and down, no so much.

Reaction Score
... Everyone on the women's board is screaming bloody murder about it. All I can think of is that in the men's game, much worse doesn't get called.
Please stop. First, stop comparing the women's game to the men's. Second, just because they get the call wrong in the men's game, makes it correct? It is a foul in the men's game also. The crap that goes on in the men's game is only slightly offset by the fact that men are naturally more physical. The officiating rules need to err on the side of the offense (unlike today's defense favoring rules). But, disregard what I am saying, perhaps this guy is more credible (you can speed up to the 7 min mark)

Reaction Score
clearly a foul and yea you will see that sometimes go uncalled in the mens game and that's due to terrible officiating at the college level, although the womens game has the worst I' ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
That was a hard foul. Bodied hard AND arm came across the body and threw her down.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not complaining about the fouls. The refs swallowed their whistles for the most part and UConn took advantage. The Huskies committed more muggings than NYC sees in a year today.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Either way I love how Geno got after the refs to protect his girls!!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No what I meant was, there's more physicality in the men's game that does not get called because it's not a foul. And why can't you compare men's and woman's BB?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
No what I meant was, there's more physicality in the men's game that does not get called because it's not a foul. And why can't you compare men's and woman's BB?
If that wasnt called in high school, women's college, men's college, Wnba or the Olympics it would be an awful no call. She got hammered and that's a foul at any level

Reaction Score
A blown foul call happens in both men's & women's ball, regardless of contact. Everyone agrees it was a missed foul. What made it sad is that the refs missed such an obvious foul... all arm, all body... player on the floor. Explains why there were only 2 fouls combined called all first half.

Reaction Score
A blown foul call happens in both men's & women's ball, regardless of contact. Everyone agrees it was a missed foul. What made it sad is that the refs missed such an obvious foul... all arm, all body... player on the floor. Explains why there were only 2 fouls combined called all first half.

Everyone but Huskyforlife. He (or she) has posted a number of times on the women's board still sure it was a foul. I played a lot of ball many years ago and I can guarantee that would have been a foul in the park (any park, Rucker, 4th ave. or Rockville Centre).

Reaction Score
I'm not complaining about the fouls. The refs swallowed their whistles for the most part and UConn took advantage. The Huskies committed more muggings than NYC sees in a year today.

Not true.

Reaction Score
...The refs swallowed their whistles for the most part and UConn took advantage.

This is what most women's game have been reduced to. Not as much basketball as the years before. Today, it is all about which team can play through the ineptness of the officials. Teams like UConn who, IMO, have the most talented players, have no choice but to reciprocate. So, yes, UConn can and does play a physical and sometimes dirty game. But as talented as they are, when they go up against a team like ND that has similar talent but is better at the "physical" aspect of the game, ND gets a bigger advantage with the refs swallowing the whistles. With some luck, some momentum, you saw the UConn v ND results.

Reaction Score
I think that's actually hurt the Uconn women a lot these past few years, particularly against Notre Dame. The Uconn women are a soft, finesse team. The only exceptions really being Doty and Kelly who can mentally handle it.

Dolson just doesn't act like she can handle it (even though she should be able too.) Kaleena gets taken out of her game. Bria is just so much thinner than everyone else that even if she could mentally handle it..she can't physically handle it. Same for Moriah (if they can catch her..) Etc..

Uconn's been a team that's been too soft to handle the muggings. I'd like to see that change. Good to see it was Uconn doing the mugging this game.

Reaction Score
I think that's actually hurt the Uconn women a lot these past few years, particularly against Notre Dame. The Uconn women are a soft, finesse team. The only exceptions really being Doty and Kelly who can mentally handle it.

Dolson just doesn't act like she can handle it (even though she should be able too.) Kaleena gets taken out of her game. Bria is just so much thinner than everyone else that even if she could mentally handle it..she can't physically handle it. Same for Moriah (if they can catch her..) Etc..

Uconn's been a team that's been too soft to handle the muggings. I'd like to see that change. Good to see it was Uconn doing the mugging this game.

UConn's downfall has been turnovers in big games. They over pass. Top opponents know they will pass 10+ times on a possession, so they wait for UConn W to get lazy on a pass & take advantage of it. Defense is solid, offense is solid when they are not throwing it away. Kaleena needs to develop more of a game off of the dribble. Too much catch & shoot. ND eliminates that against her, since they are like flies on Shi....

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
UConn's downfall has been turnovers in big games. They over pass. Top opponents know they will pass 10+ times on a possession, so they wait for UConn W to get lazy on a pass & take advantage of it. Defense is solid, offense is solid when they are not throwing it away. Kaleena needs to develop more of a game off of the dribble. Too much catch & shoot. ND eliminates that against her, since they are like flies on Shi....
This.

You should get an AC job if you could get them to fix those problems :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Sometimes I think you are too evenhanded. That particular non call was in a class unlike any other in that game. Not calling rebounding fouls on either team is one thing. Deciding anything goes on a shooter is a little different. That wasn't swallowing the whistle, it was admiring how shiny it was while deciding what to have for dinner.

Reaction Score

But I think a lot of the times they turn the ball over because ND is so physical. The combination of passes just being sloppier because there's a lot of mugging going on, and I think it takes them out of their rhythm, which then leads to turnovers.

*Just so we're clear, not making excuses..calling the women's team soft.*

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

??

UConn is very physical and has been since the Jones, Williams, Cash teams. Stewart, who's only a freshman, was taken out of her game when she found out just how physical it is in college but she's embraced it. She dominated the game yesterday and she pushed Maryland's Hawkins all over the court while she did it while Dolson and Faris ping-ponged Maryland's All American Alyssa Thomas in the paint.

UConn's downfall against Notre Dame is 1. that ND's guards are better and 2. no one has been willing to take the game over. I call that one immaturity because the team need to develop mental toughness. I know they're pissed off at letting the three ND games get away from them; I don't know if they're focused enough to have one or more of the players say "I want the ball in my hands when the game is on the line".

As for KML, I'm not sure what you're watching. She scored 17 points yesterday and only made one three . She's been getting an awful lot of points from offensive rebounds and putbacks this year, something Geno tried to get Maya Moore to do for 4 years. KML's development from her freshman to sophomore years has been impressive.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There's a difference between standing ground or being aggressive vs. mugging. What Griner did to Dolson is mugging. Making it hard for a player to get to the basket by not waving the cape and saying "Ole" is physical.

I think the most obvious problem UConn has had with ND, at least this year, hasn't been physicality, but that UConn hasn't figured out the way to overcome ND's extreme overplay of passing lanes (that and how to stop McBride from making great shots). The overplay is what is leading to a lot of our bad passes and turnovers. Where the difference between these teams is negligible as it clearly is in this case, any glaring problem tilts the scales, although the last OT game was a bit misleading because our foul shooting uncharacteristically killed us when it would have changed the outcome. What makes ND's overplay work so well is that they are also good at shutting off the backdoor play. That's something Tennessee had trouble with against us. If we get to play them again, I hope that the coaches come up with a scheme that will get us ahead far enough so last second ND heroics don't decide the deal.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sometimes I think you are too evenhanded. That particular non call was in a class unlike any other in that game. Not calling rebounding fouls on either team is one thing. Deciding anything goes on a shooter is a little different. That wasn't swallowing the whistle, it was admiring how shiny it was while deciding what to have for dinner.

Cohenzone,
Man I don't know what zone you're today but I like it. Read this post when I shouldn't have been reading my phone and almost busted out laughing....happy easter and keep it up.

(huge church attendence today, communion went on forever...just filling the minutes)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Please stop. First, stop comparing the women's game to the men's. Second, just because they get the call wrong in the men's game, makes it correct? It is a foul in the men's game also. The crap that goes on in the men's game is only slightly offset by the fact that men are naturally more physical. The officiating rules need to err on the side of the offense (unlike today's defense favoring rules). But, disregard what I am saying, perhaps this guy is more credible (you can speed up to the 7 min mark)

The men often can explode to dunk. Women not named Griner have to lay it in on the move and are much more exposed to being hacked on the arms and head. I think the refs have to be looking for that. Obviously, when a dunker gets fouled in mid air, it often can be more dangerous. I think what gets overlooked sometimes in the men's game is the lower body foul because the refs are watching arms and the ball 11 feet in the air. In the women's game, almost every shooting foul on a close-in shot almost by definition involves the upper body, which is where Faris got pretty obviously hit.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cohenzone,
Man I don't know what zone you're today but I like it. Read this post when I shouldn't have been reading my phone and almost busted out laughing....happy easter and keep it up.

(huge church attendence today, communion went on forever...just filling the minutes)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I'm more the Passover type, but thanks and Happy Easter. I should be doing more productive stuff, but this is more fun.

A little true Passover/Easter story. My eldest son is married to a Catholic (a Dukie no less). Neither converted, but they don't do much religiously except pay some attention to the bigger holidays. They actually had belonged to a United Universalist congregation for a while. They have two kids who get the best of the fun part of Jewish and Christian holidays. A couple of years ago we were visiting (they lived far from us) when Passover and Easter coincided. If you aren't familiar with it, there is a Passover seder dinner ritual where a piece of matzah called the afikomen is hidden for a child to hunt for, and they get a small prize, typically a dollar bill. Well, in this highly modern, religiously diverse family, the prize for finding the afikomen in my son's home? A chocolate Easter bunny. A fully mixed metaphor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom