WNBA Player Movement Central | The Boneyard

WNBA Player Movement Central

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The WNBA has awakened from it's winter hibernation, and has begun the business of allowing teams to sign players for the upcoming season. There has already been a small number of players changing teams.

Transactions (through Friday Feb 21)

CLICK HERE for a list of notable Core Players, Reserved Players, Restricted Free Agents and Unrestricted Free Agents that were on team rosters at the end of the 2018 WNBA season.

CLICK HERE for the complete list.

Unrestricted free agents - are free to sign with any team provided that she is not designated as a Core Player by her prior team.

Restricted free agents - players with 4 or 5 years of service are considered to be Restricted Free Agents. Restricted free agency gives the player’s prior team the right to keep the player by matching a contract offer the player signs with another team (Right of First Refusal).

If the player signs a contract offer with another team, the player’s prior team has 4 days from the date it receives the offer to determine whether it wishes to match. If the offer is matched, the player will remain with her team. If the offer is not matched within the 4 day period, the player will be under contract with the offering team.

Reserved players - players with 3 or fewer years of service are considered to be Reserved Players. The player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.

Core players - The Core designation gives that team exclusive negotiating rights with the player. Players can receive a Core designation only 4 times in their career.

Note - Karlie Samuelson resigned with the LA Sparks on Feb 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The WNBA has awoken from it's winter hibernation, and has begun the business of allowing teams to sign players for the upcoming season. There has already been some player movement.

Transactions (through Feb 19)

CLICK HERE for a list of notable Core Players, Reserved Players, Restricted Free Agents and Unrestricted Free Agents that were on team rosters at the end of the 2018 WNBA season.

CLICK HERE for the complete list.

Unrestricted free agents - are free to sign with any team provided that she is not designated as a Core Player by her prior team.

Restricted free agents - players with four or five years of service are considered to be Restricted Free Agents. Restricted free agency gives the player’s prior team the right to keep the player by matching a contract offer the player signs with another team (Right of First Refusal). If the player signs a contract offer with another team, the player’s prior team has four days from the date it receives the offer to determine whether it wishes to match. If the offer is matched, the player will remain with her team. If the offer is not matched within the four-day period, the player will be under contract with the offering team.

Reserved players - players with three or fewer years of service are considered to be Reserved Players. The player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.

Core players - The Core designation gives that team exclusive negotiating rights with the player. Players can receive a Core designation only four times in their career.

Pretty minimal movement in the offseason so far. I wonder if Charles is content staying in NY. She'll be playing on a team thats likely going to be a bottom feeder once again and they only draw a couple thousand per game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Pretty minimal movement in the offseason so far. I wonder if Charles is content staying in NY. She'll be playing on a team thats likely going to be a bottom feeder once again and they only draw a couple thousand per game.

Correct. Perhaps it's time for Charles to move on to greener pastures if she wants to win a championship. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What a great story that would be if Lou went home to LA to join her sister! Although, there are probably about 6 other teams that could use her services before LA gets to pick.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's good to see Brooke McCarty signed with someone, even if it is the Wings. I thought maybe she'd foregone the W being a serviceman's wife -- did she try out for anyone last year? I hope she makes it, she's so much fun to watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a great story that would be if Lou went home to LA to join her sister! Although, there are probably about 6 other teams that could use her services before LA gets to pick.

I do not want to root for the Sparks.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Correct. Perhaps it's time for Charles to move on to greener pastures if she wants to win a championship. :rolleyes:

She needs to join forces with another top player if that's going to happen. Tina isn't going to win a title unless she has another top player alongside her. Keep in mind, DT/Parker/Moore/Bird/Stewart/Cooper/Swoopes have only won championships playing alongside other MVPs or other legendary players. The only star who has led her team to a title with a mediocre supporting cast was Catchings in 2012, and even she had a pretty good wingman in Katie Douglas.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I know her family ties and foundation work in NYC are very strong but I would seriously consider moving although if they could play at the Barclay Center in 2 years, some life might be breathed back into the team.

Reaction Score

Things may not be as dire for the NY Liberty as they seem. They re-signed Rebecca Allen and Amanda Zahui B (the two I hoped they would re-sign along with Bria), and of course retain Kia. Since Charles is a core player they'll do everything they can to hold onto her. They have a new billionaire owner who is dedicated to pro basketball (49% owner of the Nets). They will probably play in a better venue closer to NYC, perhaps the Barclay Center, the following year. They have tons of room under the salary cap to sign new players right now. They have the 2nd draft pick this year (hoping for Phee or KLS, but Durr would be fine), which also means they'll have a high pick in the second round. Maybe Kia can convince an Aussie or two to come on over (e.g., Kelsey Griffin, her WNBL teammate, has indicated an interest in returning to the WNBA). A lot remains to be accomplished in a short period of time. We'll soon see how it all shakes out but I suspect when all is said and done, in time the NY Liberty will once again be a favorable destination for players to land. And Katie Smith will have had more coaching experience under her belt.

Reaction Score
She needs to join forces with another top player if that's going to happen. Tina isn't going to win a title unless she has another top player alongside her. Keep in mind, DT/Parker/Moore/Bird/Stewart/Cooper/Swoopes have only won championships playing alongside other MVPs or other legendary players. The only star who has led her team to a title with a mediocre supporting cast was Catchings in 2012, and even she had a pretty good wingman in Katie Douglas.
Katie Douglas was more than just a good wingman, she was a star in herself. She had some tremendous years.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Things may not be as dire for the NY Liberty as they seem. They re-signed Rebecca Allen and Amanda Zahui B (the two I hoped they would re-sign along with Bria), and of course retain Kia. Since Charles is a core player they'll do everything they can to hold onto her. They have a new billionaire owner who is dedicated to pro basketball (49% owner of the Nets). They will probably play in a better venue closer to NYC, perhaps the Barclay Center, the following year. They have tons of room under the salary cap to sign new players right now. They have the 2nd draft pick this year (hoping for Phee or KLS, but Durr would be fine), which also means they'll have a high pick in the second round. Maybe Kia can convince an Aussie or two to come on over (e.g., Kelsey Griffin, her WNBL teammate, has indicated an interest in returning to the WNBA). A lot remains to be accomplished in a short period of time. We'll soon see how it all shakes out but I suspect when all is said and done, in time the NY Liberty will once again be a favorable destination for players to land. And Katie Smith will have had more coaching experience under her belt.

Lynx, I’m feeling you. I’m also a Liberty fan. There are 4 UConn alumna on their roster making it an easy team to root for. I would enjoy watching NY return to prominence. I’d also like to see Kiah Stokes have a major breakthrough this year. A Liberty - Storm championship final would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Katie Douglas was more than just a good wingman, she was a star in herself. She had some tremendous years.

She did--but she isnt in the same boat as the likes of Cappie Pondexter, Sylvia Fowles, Lauren Jackson, Tina Thompson, Penny Taylor, Lindsay Whalen, etc.

And she was past her prime in 2012 despite still being a very good player. Catchings was the lone outlier I could think of who led her team to a title with really modest talent compared to most other title teams.

Reaction Score
She did--but she isnt in the same boat as the likes of Cappie Pondexter, Sylvia Fowles, Lauren Jackson, Tina Thompson, Penny Taylor, Lindsay Whalen, etc.

And she was past her prime in 2012 despite still being a very good player. Catchings was the lone outlier I could think of who led her team to a title with really modest talent compared to most other title teams.

Good quote. It takes more than just one great player to compete for a championship with so much talent in the league and a small number of teams. I loved Douglas' game but she wasn't as good as the players you mentioned above. The Sparks won their title with Nneka having equally as great stats as Parker that year. Stewie is a WNBA great already but I doubt the Storm win last year without Bird as the point guard.

Reaction Score
Griffin has signed to Lynx's training camp roster.

Disappointing as I thought there was a chance she might sign with the Liberty. I wonder what the Liberty's master plan is as they don't seem to be doing much of anything. and they have money to spend

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom