WNBA draft surprises ? | The Boneyard

WNBA draft surprises ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For all you WNBA superfans, are there any surprises - players going higher or lower than expected, players being drafted out of the blue, players not being drafted?

I'll start with Kiah Stokes. IMHO, although she wasn't offensively minded this season, I thought her UConn pedigree and defense were 1st round caliber, however many thought she would probably go in the 2nd round.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Michala Johnson getting drafted, at all. Especially after she was injured this year. But good for her. Biggest surprise for me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
For all you WNBA superfans, are there any surprises - players going higher or lower than expected, players being drafted out of the blue, players not being drafted?

I'll start with Kiah Stokes. IMHO, although she wasn't offensively minded this season, I thought her UConn pedigree and defense were 1st round caliber, however many thought she would probably go in the 2nd round.

Chicago taking Cheyenne Parker at 5 was a shocker. Wasn't projected to be a first round pick after she got dismissed from the team at Middle Tennessee State.

Reaction Score

I knew if any of the teams had any brains they would draft Kiah in the first round.

I was disappointed that Blake Dietrick was not picked.

Reaction Score
Chicago taking Cheyenne Parker at 5 was a shocker. Wasn't projected to be a first round pick after she got dismissed from the team at Middle Tennessee State.
Why does Fowles want to leave the team?

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Anyone know what happened with Blake Dietrick? Last I heard she was in the draft, but nothing more...

Reaction Score
Anyone know what happened with Blake Dietrick? Last I heard she was in the draft, but nothing more...
She was hoping to get picked but didn't.

She still may get invited to try out at a camp. I'm still pulling for her!

Reaction Score

Trader Bill has pretty good instincts about post players. He'll make her a little more nasty and she'll have a great career.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why does Fowles want to leave the team?

I don't know. I knew she hadn't signed her core tender yet, so I figured something might be up. I'd been looking around for info over the last few weeks, but there are no stories on the net about it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not necessarily a shock, but think about this: Kiah Stokes did not even start for her team, and averaged only 18 minutes per game, yet was drafted #11 in the first round! That has to be a record. Has a non-starter ever even been drafted?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not necessarily a shock, but think about this: Kiah Stokes did not even start for her team, and averaged only 18 minutes per game, yet was drafted #11 in the first round! That has to be a record. Has a non-starter ever even been drafted?
I think Ashley Battle pretty much came off the bench her entire UCONN career and she had a solid WNBA career. She is the only one I can think of off the top of my head...

Reaction Score
Geno wasn't there to support his players. I can't believe he wasn't there.

wbfree- - It was mentioned he couldn't be there but sent flowers for KML and her mother and Kiah and her mother!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Couldnt the trip have been delayed until after the WNBA draft ?

Why does it matter?

Next weekend is the first big weekend of AAU tournaments so I'm sure Geno and staff will be in Virginia and other parts. Then he needs to prepare for and conduct a USA BB training camp in Vegas. It's been non-stop basketball (World Championships/UConn) for almost a year. Sounds like Geno saw a window to get away and took it. He's given a lot of himself to Kaleena and Kiah over the years and I would hope they value that more than him sitting at a WNBA draft table which should be more about the players and their families anyway.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think Ashley Battle pretty much came off the bench her entire UCONN career and she had a solid WNBA career. She is the only one I can think of off the top of my head...
You're basically correct, but I looked it up: Ashley started 8 games her senior year, and averaged 20+ mpg. She was drafted 5th by Seattle but didn't play much her first year.

I should have asked if any non-UConn, non-injured, non-starter, non-foreign player has ever been drafted by the WNBA.

Reaction Score
You're basically correct, but I looked it up: Ashley started 8 games her senior year, and averaged 20+ mpg. She was drafted 5th by Seattle but didn't play much her first year.

I should have asked if any non-UConn, non-injured, non-starter, non-foreign player has ever been drafted by the WNBA.
Actually Ashley B. Was selected 25th in the 2005 draft (second round)

Reaction Score
For me, the biggest shock was the Dream drafting 2 more guards; Logic and Massengale. I think they have 7-8 guards now Of course once the pre-season starts, they could either keep or cut some of those guards. But it is going to be interesting to see that roster develop.

Minnesota adding Kelley and Gray is going to be fun to watch. Hopefully the Lynx can keep both players but minutes are going to be hard to get.

Reaction Score
JellyBean said:
For me, the biggest shock was the Dream drafting 2 more guards; Logic and Massengale. I think they have 7-8 guards now Of course once the pre-season starts, they could either keep or cut some of those guards. But it is going to be interesting to see that roster develop. Minnesota adding Kelley and Gray is going to be fun to watch. Hopefully the Lynx can keep both players but minutes are going to be hard to get.
They traded Jasmine Thomas. Schimmel is more of a 2 guard so my guess is that Logic will play the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom