WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 20 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone else concerned about Chelsea Gray’s availability for the upcoming Olympics? You would think the committee might need to be aware and possibly thinking about adding the next best point guard? Who would that be I wonder?
Not worried one bit. Team USA and the committe will make the right call that helps Team USA...and then we will complain about their decision :D

Reaction Score
It didn't count in the standings as a regular season loss. People say that the Aces didn't win a game in Brooklyn last season despite them winning Game 4 of the WNBA Finals. That's because they didn't win there during the regular season.

When people refer to Vegas' 19-1 record, they're only referring to the 20 regular season games they played. And because the 17-23 Sparks were that one team, it gives the appearance of a fluke (and it may have been, considering the Aces had a day to prepare and still had the Liberty--who they had just defeated--on their mind while LA had a week to prepare).
No one says the aces didn’t wins game in Brooklyn last year because they did. The most important game.

Regardless of it was a regular season win or not it’s also factually inaccurate to say the Aces only lost won game at home last year even if they have a 19-1 record. Amazingly they lost 2 hole games last year while maintaining a 19-1 record.

Reaction Score
Have you watched their first three games? Is this the resume of a professional basketball coach or even a high level D1 coach?
I am a basketball fan, of course I watched their first three games. The Fever front office liked what they saw in Coach Sides resume. They hired her.

Reaction Score
The Dallas-Chicago game did nothing to advance women’s basketball, in my opinion. Hopefully the next game will be better.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
No one says the aces didn’t wins game in Brooklyn last year because they did. The most important game.

Regardless of it was a regular season win or not it’s also factually inaccurate to say the Aces only lost won game at home last year even if they have a 19-1 record. Amazingly they lost 2 hole games last year while maintaining a 19-1 record.
The playoffs aren't the regular season. The Commissioner's Cup isn't the regular season.

Vegas had a 19-1 regular season home record, with the Sparks as the only team to beat them during the regular season. That Commissioner's Cup game might as well have been played on the moon because it didn't count in the standings. Otherwise, the Aces wouldn't have won the league by two games.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Dallas could run into some issues in the standings with Satou Sabally and now Natasha Howard out extended time. If Arike is going to take 28 shots, she has to make more than nine of them for the Wings to survive. They may not have to rely on Chicago for a lottery pick in 2025 after all.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Trash effort by the Dream down the stretch. All they had to do was sit on Copper's right hand. What else was she going to do?

Reaction Score
The playoffs aren't the regular season. The Commissioner's Cup isn't the regular season.

Vegas had a 19-1 regular season home record, with the Sparks as the only team to beat them during the regular season. That Commissioner's Cup game might as well have been played on the moon because it didn't count in the standings. Otherwise, the Aces wouldn't have won the league by two games.
Ok. I’m not disagreeing. That doesn’t mean they also didn’t lose 2 games at home last season. That is just a fact regardless of whether or not it counts for the regular season record.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Ok. I’m not disagreeing. That doesn’t mean they also didn’t lose 2 games at home last season. That is just a fact regardless of whether or not it counts for the regular season record.
Let me ask you this. Are the Chicago Sky 1-0 at home this season?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Anyone see this? High Point legend getting roughed up? :mad:

While all the CC hype is going on the GOAT DT serves notice with 7 threes that she is not done yet. Without Griner Phoenix plays Vegas tough right to the end.

4-15, 1-8 on threes tonight. Long season ahead. Her fans got too excited about game one.

Reaction Score

4-15, 1-8 on threes tonight. Long season ahead. Her fans got too excited about game one.

But got the W and finished with 15 points and 7 rebounds. Think her fans are more excited tonight than Tuesday.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Well for being over 40 she’s not going to hit 7 very often but on any given night she’s still one of the best scorers in the W. That was my point. And yes I think she got away with one tonight but on the same play Cunningham also got smacked in the face and they didn’t even review that.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Dallas-Chicago game did nothing to advance women’s basketball, in my opinion. Hopefully the next game will be better.
I spent my day watching another favorite sport -- lacrosse -- at Hofstra University in Long Island today, so took most of Saturday off from the round ball. However, for some reason, I did look at highlights (?) of this one and:
  • You're right. It wasn't a thing of beauty by any means, but I'm not sure Teresa Witherspoon, Chicago's new coach, wasn't totally unhappy with what she saw.
  • Dallas committed 25 turnovers (more on this later), which the Sky turned into 34 points. (By contrast, the Wings only scored 6 off of the Sky's 17 t/o's).
  • The Sky had 6 players in double figures, with Elizabeth Williams having a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds.
The backcourt of Dana Evans and Marina Mabrey didn't shoot well, but distributed well with 6 and 8 assists, respectively. Mabrey also snared 8 rebounds.
- It's early, but it's going to be tough for the Wings. Two of their top three scorers from last year (Sabally, Howard) are out and Greg Bibb, in his wisdom, has two new point guards to play off the, ahem,, strong-willed Arike Ogunbowale. (Meanwhile, Tyasha Harris is getting better and better in Connecticut). Perhaps Uzun and Sheldon will get better as time goes by, but they - and Arike -- had 13 turnovers alone and that won't hack it.

Let's hope the next game will be better for Dallas. But causing and/or being the beneficiaries of turnovers will always be the cause of joy for Teresa Witherspoon.

Reaction Score
I spent my day watching another favorite sport -- lacrosse -- at Hofstra University in Long Island today, so took most of Saturday off from the round ball. However, for some reason, I did look at highlights (?) of this one and:
  • You're right. It wasn't a thing of beauty by any means, but I'm not sure Teresa Witherspoon, Chicago's new coach, wasn't totally unhappy with what she saw.
  • Dallas committed 25 turnovers (more on this later), which the Sky turned into 34 points. (By contrast, the Wings only scored 6 off of the Sky's 17 t/o's).
  • The Sky had 6 players in double figures, with Elizabeth Williams having a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds.
The backcourt of Dana Evans and Marina Mabrey didn't shoot well, but distributed well with 6 and 8 assists, respectively. Mabrey also snared 8 rebounds.
- It's early, but it's going to be tough for the Wings. Two of their top three scorers from last year (Sabally, Howard) are out and Greg Bibb, in his wisdom, has two new point guards to play off the, ahem,, strong-willed Arike Ogunbowale. (Meanwhile, Tyasha Harris is getting better and better in Connecticut). Perhaps Uzun and Sheldon will get better as time goes by, but they - and Arike -- had 13 turnovers alone and that won't hack it.

Let's hope the next game will be better for Dallas. But causing and/or being the beneficiaries of turnovers will always be the cause of joy for Teresa Witherspoon.
It makes my heart happy that Ty is starting to come into her own in the league. She was and still is my favorite PG under Dawn at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Well for being over 40 she’s not going to hit 7 very often but on any given night she’s still one of the best scorers in the W. That was my point. And yes I think she got away with one tonight but on the same play Cunningham also got smacked in the face and they didn’t even review that.

She may have gotten away with one but it as serious as the tweet in insinuating. It was not a flagrant and glad they didn’t call it

Reaction Score

I saw it. It wasn’t that serious. Def wasn’t a flagrant foul

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
If the lost a preseason game they are not. But I don’t follow the Sky so have no idea.
They played the NY Liberty in a preseason in their gym about two weeks ago and won by nearly 50. Does that game count as them winning on their homecourt?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score

I saw it and could not believe that she wasn't called for a flagrant or ejected (the stooges actually reviewed it and didn't even call it a foul). It was a dirty move, IMO, but of course she got away with it. The play forced Cheyenne out of the game during a crucial defensive possession.

I've come to expect bush league behavior from Taurasi, so it checks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom