WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She could be a sparkplug off the bench, but can't see her replacing either of their starting guards.

I see Vivians is starting and has a goose egg tonight. One might wonder why Horston isn't starting, certainly has more upside. Maybe cue @baggerbob to offer his opinion about the Storm coaching staff and personnel decisions. :)
I have said before not a fan of Quinn as a head coach.

Reaction Score
Coaches can have a negtive impact of rookies if the players do not fit into their vision for the game. I remember when Anne Donovan demoted Chelsea Gray not only to the bench, but farther down the reserve list. Why? Because she improvised and did not play in Annes vision of structure. The Sun traded her to the Sparks and Chelsea game took off. UConn got a first roung pick for her and used in to draft Jonquel Jones which might have seemed like a good trade off, except she was their third pick behind two lesser players. They could have had both Chelsea and Jones.

My point is that some coaches are the problem. The fact that she came out and spoke on how CC needed to adjust her game was a red flag in itself. That was totally unnecessary to hash out in public. It seems like it was a way to justify herself and do damage control for what seemed like a team isue at the time. In general the coaches in the WNBA are usually second rate. I mean what successful college WBB coach will leave to get a WNBA job? Except for Hammond and a few others most are entry level or rejects.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
That's magnanimous of you, WBBTakeover. I'm sure Caitlin, her fans and the WNBA appreciate you be willing to give her another game or two before tossing her out of the league.:rolleyes:
What is the point of this post?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
In the spirit of waaaaaayyyyyy too early predictions, Dijonai Carrington is your runaway Most Improved Player. Book it! Okay, maybe not, but she's busting out in a big way so far.
Interesting considering how critical you were of Connecticut's backcourt coming into this season.

Reaction Score
Hmm...who will be in the top 5? A'ja, Stewie, and AT are givens. I haven't seen Boston on the list so I'm almost certain she is one of those five (a symptom that this list was determined by fan vote if that turns out to be true...). I don't believe that Jewell Loyd has been mentioned either.

My guess...
5. Aliyah Boston
4. Jewell Loyd
3. Alyssa Thomas
2. A'ja Wilson
1. Breanna Stewart
Boston looks like she doesn't belong in the league so far this year. I think Boston and Clark are victims of a horrible coach without a game plan and it is making both of them look really bad. I really hope the Fever do something before it is too late.

Reaction Score
Boston looks like she doesn't belong in the league so far this year. I think Boston and Clark are victims of a horrible coach without a game plan and it is making both of them look really bad. I really hope the Fever do something before it is too late.
I've been wondering if the style of play is too different between Clark and Boston. Boston seems to thrive is slow, methodical, grind-it-out offense with her back to the basket, whereas Clark likes fast-paced, light em up offense with lots of movement and screens. I feel like that's where part of the problem is coming from. They're trying to figure out a way to have both and they haven't found the right formula yet. There was some glimpses of its potential in the third where I thought Boston was adapting to Clark's style of play but otherwise it was a complete mess.

Reaction Score
Coaches can have a negtive impact of rookies if the players do not fit into their vision for the game. I remember when Anne Donovan demoted Chelsea Gray not only to the bench, but farther down the reserve list. Why? Because she improvised and did not play in Annes vision of structure. The Sun traded her to the Sparks and Chelsea game took off. UConn got a first roung pick for her and used in to draft Jonquel Jones which might have seemed like a good trade off, except she was their third pick behind two lesser players. They could have had both Chelsea and Jones.

My point is that some coaches are the problem. The fact that she came out and spoke on how CC needed to adjust her game was a red flag in itself. That was totally unnecessary to hash out in public. It seems like it was a way to justify herself and do damage control for what seemed like a team isue at the time. In general the coaches in the WNBA are usually second rate. I mean what successful college WBB coach will leave to get a WNBA job? Except for Hammond and a few others most are entry level or rejects.
Well said. I totally agree. Coaches can have a positive or negative impact on rookies and their development. A lot depends on the coach and their personality. Some coaches will have the attitude of "It's my way or the highway" approach. Or they have the "Hey. Let's see what we got and build around the talent we have". Of course, you are danged if you do and danged if you don't.

To be fair to Coach Sides, and we will see what develops over the next 8 games, but I believe that we are reading way too much into her comment about CC. Paul Westhead said the same thing about Diana Taurasi when he took over the Mercury after Coach Graf and how DT would have to adjust her game in order for Phoenix to be Championship level. Of course, I believe Year 2 under Westhead they had Cappie Pondexter, who was a bucket a second and Penny Taylor was another a bucket a second type player. But DT scaled back her 20 attempts a game and that allowed more opportunities for Pondexter and Taylor. Then throw in Tangela Smith & Kelly Miller. Jeez. Phoenix had a squad back then! But the point, in year 2 under Westhead, Phoenix went on to win their first title. Was it because of DT making adjustments? Was it because of the System that Coach Westhead ran? Was it an increase in team talent? Who knows. All I do know is, and we all follow sports, if a team is going to grow and reach that mountain top, each player will have to adjust their game to some degree in order for the team to reach its potential.

Reaction Score
Boston started slow last season. I will check back in 8 games.

Reaction Score
Diggins and Loyd need to get Ezi a few more then 5 shots in a game.
I never understand why players don't share the ball more. Unless I know you can't score then I won't pass you the ball. But if my shot is off and I know you got an advantage, I am feeding you the ball all game. Digs and Loyd need to recognize those moments and share the rock a little more.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've been wondering if the style of play is too different between Clark and Boston. Boston seems to thrive is slow, methodical, grind-it-out offense with her back to the basket, whereas Clark likes fast-paced, light em up offense with lots of movement and screens. I feel like that's where part of the problem is coming from. They're trying to figure out a way to have both and they haven't found the right formula yet. There was some glimpses of its potential in the third where I thought Boston was adapting to Clark's style of play but otherwise it was a complete mess.
I think that's another argument (made a couple of times further up in the thread) for having Berger in a little more at the point. Also an argument for some stronger coaching.

Clark is perfectly capable of being a shooting guard, although that would take some getting used to.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I think that's another argument (made a couple of times further up in the thread) for having Berger in a little more at the point. Also an argument for some stronger coaching.

Clark is perfectly capable of being a shooting guard, although that would take some getting used to.
They (Fever) could use Caitlin the same way that the Warriors started using Steph Curry--by having her run off screens while a different player (a "Draymond") handles the bulk of the playmaking. Steph still serves as a secondary playmaker.

Don't see that happening this season, however. I also still think that Caitlin could work as a primary ballhandler with improvements made in the offseason.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
So far, this doesn't even look like the same Fever team. :eek:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
This must be the first time that the Liberty have played in Barclays since that embarrassing night just past mid-October in 2023. I'm sure they love being reminded of what happened last time out:

AP23292096627084.jpg

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Caitlin is taking shots with a lot of confidence in this game--and HITTING!!! Must be those bright New York lights. :D

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting considering how critical you were of Connecticut's backcourt coming into this season.
I already walked that back, but yes you are correct.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I cannot STAND Jonquel Jones, but I'll begrudgingly admit that she's been NY's best player so far this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana down 20 in Q2. A lot of hero ball for Indy in the 2nd quarter and lazy defense. Offense looked much better in the first being run through Clark

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Indiana looking their best so far this season...unfortunately for them the Lib are shooting out of their minds.
75% (9 of 12) from three already--which is INSANE.

At some point, the defensive-minded coach needs to make an adjustment on that side of the ball.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell makes a difference, for sure! More movement with her in there--both in transition and in the halfcourt.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark is looking like Clark, and Mitchell is getting going for the first time all year. Need a few others to show something though.

What's with all the criticism of Sabally? She looks solid to me. 4 rebounds 2 blocks and an and-1 in 5 minutes. If this was the only game you ever watched, you'd say she's a much more impactful player than Boston.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Maybe because this is the first time that Sabally has looked somewhat competent (I'd like to see what she looks like going against a motivated Jonquel Jones) while Aliyah Boston was the unanimous ROY last year. We know what Aliyah can be. We know nothing about Sabally outside of the hype she receives from Pac 12 fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom