WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
Needless to say, this has been an extremely poor performance by the Fever so far. I think Christie Sides has to take the bulk of the blame for that. Not only is her "defense" getting carved up (and I wouldn't even say that the Liberty are playing all that well offensively--they've missed shots), her offense is doing close to NOTHING. There were times where Caitlin could've cooked whichever non-Laney guard that was checking her, but Sides does nothing to get her going. Where are the easy looks? Why are they not trying to get her pushing the ball in transition?

Meanwhile, slow-footed Sabrina is getting layups and isn't having to guard anyone.

It may be early in the season (against two tough opponents), but if Indiana doesn't look better than they have the last two games, Sides' seat will warm up in a heartbeat. People aren't paying an arm and a leg to see Caitlin and the Fever struggle to this magnitude. I've said that they do need another piece to get the offense flowing better, but my goodness. You can still pretend to defend. How about playing players who actually CAN defend?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
FINALLY! Signs of life for Caitlin. Cooking Vandersloot.

Reaction Score
FINALLY! Signs of life for Caitlin. Cooking Vandersloot.
Really wish the Liberty had gotten rid of Sabally, and kept Kone.
5 years younger, and has the potential to be great. Sabally looks totally out of shape, and in 2 years hasn't shown any ability to be good.
When Dolson got hurt Stewie had to play extended minutes at the end of the year, because Sabally was so bad.
She still hasn't shown that she belongs in the league.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I know they have guard talent but for the life of me I don't understand why Grace Berger is glued to the bench. I'm trying not to get aggy but...
I don't get it, either. She's not horrible defensively on the perimeter like Wheeler and KLS are, and she does play tough offensively.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Really wish the Liberty had gotten rid of Sabally, and kept Kone.
5 years younger, and has the potential to be great. Sabally looks totally out of shape, and in 2 years hasn't shown any ability to be good.
When Dolson got hurt Stewie had to play extended minutes at the end of the year, because Sabally was so bad.
She still hasn't shown that she belongs in the league.
I agree, and I'll take it one step further. Sabally stinks. I do not see the vision with her.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I do not see how Wheeler and Smith play as much as they do despite being the worst defenders on the team. More Fagbenle and Hull/Berger, please.

How can you call yourself a "defensive-minded coach" and you're playing trash defensive players on the regular?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's only 2 games, and it came against teams with good defensive post players...but what's up with Boston? 5-15 tonight after a nearly no show against the Sun. It does not appear she set about trying to improve her game in the off season.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Whew! Aliyah has been a mess tonight.

Oh well! Victaria Saxton sighting! :D

Reaction Score
I agree, and I'll take it one step further. Sabally stinks. I do not see the vision with her.
That was part of the reason Stewie wore down at the end of the year, long season overseas, and playing too many minutes during the year.
A'ja hasn't played during the off-season, since she has been in the league, so is able to rest and recuperate during the off-season.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
That was part of the reason Stewie wore down at the end of the year, long season overseas, and playing too many minutes during the year.
A'ja hasn't played during the off-season, since she has been in the league, so is able to rest and recuperate during the off-season.
That's true.

Stewie didn't play overseas this past offseason and did not play heavy minutes in tonight's blowout, so maybe she and Sandy will see the benefits of rest this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Major yikes showing by Indiana. They just have zero chemistry on either end out there. I get that they're young and going up against good teams, but this is about as bad of a start as anyone could've predicted for Indiana. They're down 37 at home and just lost by 21 on the road.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sabally looks good today. Hustling and made a couple of nice plays.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Sabally looks good today. Hustling and made a couple of nice plays.
I disagree completely. She was fumbling the ball, didn't defend anyone (not that she had to against this Fever team), didn't rebound, and didn't look anything like a first round pick. She was mostly just--there.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Thank goodness that massacre is over. That 4th quarter was a complete mess!

The Fever do not have an identity outside of "youth". They're terrible offensively (they weren't last year). They're terrible defensively (again this year). Too many poor defenders are logging heavy minutes. They do not get easy buckets offensively. Players are getting visibly frustrated. That arena sounded like a morgue for much of the night. The schedule is brutal and isn't going to let up for the next five games.

I do think that New York is very good, but they're not as good as they looked tonight. Sides sold hard in that 4th quarter. Her coaching performance was truly awful.

And no, I don't think Caitlin played well (though she did have seven rebounds and six assists). I don't think Aliyah played well, either. And yes, I do think that a lack of chemistry is an issue. But--what is the coach going to do to get these two in rhythm? Again, they did not push in transition. Whose fault is that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the injury to Kelsey Mitchell is hurting Clark. She’s best with the ball in her hands on the offensive side, and they seemed to play her off ball a lot. Replace Mitchell for Wheeler and I think it looks a lot better.

The Fever are really bad defensively, and adding Clark and KLS probably made them even worse defensively. Not looking great early in the season.

I’ll also just say I see Clark very similarly to Plum. Her adjustment period will be much longer than someone like Stewie or Candace Parker. When she adds variety to her game and gets quicker and stronger, I see her as an all W player. But probably not an MVP. Could be wrong though.

Reaction Score
I think the injury to Kelsey Mitchell is hurting Clark. She’s best with the ball in her hands on the offensive side, and they seemed to play her off ball a lot. Replace Mitchell for Wheeler and I think it looks a lot better.

The Fever are really bad defensively, and adding Clark and KLS probably made them even worse defensively. Not looking great early in the season.

I’ll also just say I see Clark very similarly to Plum. Her adjustment period will be much longer than someone like Stewie or Candace Parker. When she adds variety to her game and gets quicker and stronger, I see her as an all W player. But probably not an MVP. Could be wrong though.
She also isn't used to having players like Stewie who double team you.
Same thing will happen with the Aces with Stokes and A'ja. Clark tried to pass out of a double team, and Stewie just grabbed the ball and threw the pass ahead for a fastbreak.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Meant for Paige to stay another year.
If I'm Paige (and I'm saying this as a Paige fan), I'm staying FAR away from the draft if Indy lands the #1 or #2 pick. I'd rather go play for LA, Golden State, or even Washington. Indy is a complete mess right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom