With realignment quieting, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany eyes policies | The Boneyard

With realignment quieting, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany eyes policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KENOSHA, Wis. — Conference realignment across the country has begun to settle somewhat with the Big Ten set to integrate Rutgers and Maryland next summer, bringing its membership to 14 universities.
But that doesn’t mean the NCAA’s power conferences aren’t watching one another.
The revenue from television contracts has increased dramatically. So while Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said his priority is to integrate the conference’s newest members, he didn’t completely dismiss the idea that the conference could get even bigger.
“[Realignment] has settled a little bit, more than it was a year ago,” Delany said. “But I think everybody is alert to opportunities, and it’s probably good that it’s settled down. People can work on their integration.”

While the major conferences are already far-reaching, there has been speculation that the potential to make more money could motivate a conference to expand nationwide.
Considering the Big Ten was at the forefront of conference realignment and the development of a television network, there’s reason to speculate it could be a prime candidate to grow further.
But Delany wasn’t sure that would happen with any of the nation’s power conferences.
“I don’t know about a nationwide conference,” he said. “But I think we have a national reach — our television network, our bowl relationships, the recruitment. So I think if there’s a conference with national reach, it’s probably us as much as anybody else.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2196...en-commissioner-jim-delany-eyes-policies.html

Reaction Score
KENOSHA, Wis. — Conference realignment across the country has begun to settle somewhat with the Big Ten set to integrate Rutgers and Maryland next summer, bringing its membership to 14 universities.
But that doesn’t mean the NCAA’s power conferences aren’t watching one another.
The revenue from television contracts has increased dramatically. So while Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said his priority is to integrate the conference’s newest members, he didn’t completely dismiss the idea that the conference could get even bigger.
“[Realignment] has settled a little bit, more than it was a year ago,” Delany said. “But I think everybody is alert to opportunities, and it’s probably good that it’s settled down. People can work on their integration.”

While the major conferences are already far-reaching, there has been speculation that the potential to make more money could motivate a conference to expand nationwide.
Considering the Big Ten was at the forefront of conference realignment and the development of a television network, there’s reason to speculate it could be a prime candidate to grow further.
But Delany wasn’t sure that would happen with any of the nation’s power conferences.
“I don’t know about a nationwide conference,” he said. “But I think we have a national reach — our television network, our bowl relationships, the recruitment. So I think if there’s a conference with national reach, it’s probably us as much as anybody else.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2196...en-commissioner-jim-delany-eyes-policies.html

Thanks for posting.
I do not think there is any surprise in the comments made by Delany.
Quite frankly, I would be surprised if Delany ever makes a definitive statement that conference realignment is done.

A few tweets from today.
Thinking about Fox Sports 1: B1G commish Delany must be salivating. Major competition for ABC/ESPN in next rights deal. #$$$$$​

Up in 2016. WIll be gargantuan. RT @TeddyGreenstein: About FS1: B1G commish Delany must be salivating. Major competition in next rights deal​
I anticipate Delany and the B1G will continue to "monitor the landscape" and if they feel the right school(s) at the right time is (are) there to enhance the conference and media rights deal, then B1G expansion will resume again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom