With ACC GOR in place, of what good is ND to ACC? | The Boneyard

With ACC GOR in place, of what good is ND to ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how ND falls into the ACC voting rights, but with the GOR now in place and that conference fortified, is there any real good reason to cut ND their sweet deal? And how does ND fall into the ACC GOR? They brought them in at a time when they were scampering and insecure. As we've seen with the Big East, having half commits and inequality does no one any good. It's what we see with Texas and the Big 12. I know that ND offered 1 or 2 more ACC FB games in addition to their already heavy slate, but is that enough?

Reaction Score
It's not about what good ND is to the ACC, it's all about how the ACC is good for ND

Reaction Score
Without ND's membership, it's possible that several ACC schools would have refused to sign the GOR. And if ND was removed, would the GOR stand? And, would Florida State or Clemson want it to stand with the loss of ND.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Without ND's membership, it's possible that several ACC schools would have refused to sign the GOR. And if ND was removed, would the GOR stand? And, would Florida State or Clemson want it to stand with the loss of ND.
yep

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And apart from the GOR, it upgrades the football SOS of the league generally, which is critical to FSU, Clemson etc. It also provides a lot of exposure for the ACC from a football perspective. In hoops it upgrades both men and women's hoops. It also makes the ACC channel more valuable overall, as it will have appeal to ND fans in many markets.

Reaction Score
The ACC needed ND to add marquee football game inventory. Outside of Florida St., there aren't any top football programs in the ACC. (Miami could come back, but they haven't been relevant since they joined the ACC.). Providing ACC teams with consistent ND games adds to media rights, more attractive bowls, and more attractive football games.

Reaction Score
There are 2 schools that have the ability to either (1) create complete conference realignment chaos or (2) effectively kill it off for the foreseeable future: Notre Dame and Texas. There will always be a contingent within the Big Ten that is not going to be willing to go up to 16 or more without Notre Dame (and the others, at the very least, would need one of the 5 or 6 schools that have as much branding power as ND in order to expand further). So, the ACC gets quite a bit out of its deal with ND in this regard. As long as ND doesn't want to move, the likelihood of the Big Ten attacking the ACC further goes way down. If the Big Ten can pry ND away from independence (and let me be clear having lived and worked around Domers for many years - unless you've seen it up close, you can't possibly know how batsh*t insane they are about protecting independence way beyond what comes across in news stories and message boards, as there is absolutely ZERO ability to logically rationalize anything on this issue with that group), raiding UVA, GT and/or FSU from the ACC on top of the Irish would be child's play by comparison, so it's critical for the ACC that ND stays independent. No one should be naive enough to think that the ND deal with the ACC is anywhere near the same as its deal with the Big East. If the ACC had offered a hybrid deal to ND, they would have taken it years ago over being in a Big East hybrid - it's the league that they believe that they have the most in common with (albeit they'll never consider any league to be worthy of them to join for football).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With all the Inception-style levels of deceit involved in CR. It blows my mind that the SEC, BIG, P12, and B12 don't just force ND into a conference by favoring conference champions in the new playoff, explicitly or covertly. If ND needs to go 12-0 instead of 10-2, they'll join a conference right quick.

One conference gets the "pleasure" of their membership and the rest mitigate the risk of ND stealing a spot from their champion.

ND may be the most valuable TV program, but OSU, Mich, Bama, and Texas don't need to take their guff.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
With all the Inception-style levels of deceit involved in CR. It blows my mind that the SEC, BIG, P12, and B12 don't just force ND into a conference by favoring conference champions in the new playoff, explicitly or covertly. If ND needs to go 12-0 instead of 10-2, they'll join a conference right quick.

One conference gets the "pleasure" of their membership and the rest mitigate the risk of ND stealing a spot from their champion.

ND may be the most valuable TV program, but OSU, Mich, Bama, and Texas don't need to take their guff.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Aha! That's the mistake that so many people have made in analyzing conference realignment. The power conferences don't want to force Notre Dame into a conference. Instead, each power conference wants to force Notre Dame into its own conference. There's a massive difference there. Sure, the Big Ten would love to have Notre Dame, but if they can't have the Irish, then they don't want anyone else (particularly the ACC) to have the Irish either. They'd rather keep them as independent. In turn, no one outside of Big Ten country, especially the SEC (who would lose relative power) and ACC (who could lose additional members), wants to see ND join the Big Ten that would create an even greater financial monster (which is bad enough in their eyes already today).

The upshot: each power conference individually would be better off if Notre Dame joined them specifically, but they all are better off collectively if Notre Dame stays independent. The downside risk of ND joining another conference is worse than taking the upside risk of attempting to "force" ND to join your own conference when they aren't guaranteed to do so. That's why you have never seen any indication, even from Jim Delany, that they would shut out independents from the playoff system. The status quo of ND staying independent is better than the upheaval from ND choosing to join someone other than your own conference. They'll all temporarily delude themselves into thinking that they can get ND periodically (even the Big 12 fell for it!), but once they sober up, they realize that it's better to leave well enough alone.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Aha! That's the mistake that so many people have made in analyzing conference realignment. The power conferences don't want to force Notre Dame into a conference. Instead, each power conference wants to force Notre Dame into its own conference. There's a massive difference there. Sure, the Big Ten would love to have Notre Dame, but if they can't have the Irish, then they don't want anyone else (particularly the ACC) to have the Irish either. They'd rather keep them as independent. In turn, no one outside of Big Ten country, especially the SEC (who would lose relative power) and ACC (who could lose additional members), wants to see ND join the Big Ten that would create an even greater financial monster (which is bad enough in their eyes already today).

The upshot: each power conference individually would be better off if Notre Dame joined them specifically, but they all are better off collectively if Notre Dame stays independent. The downside risk of ND joining another conference is worse than taking the upside risk of attempting to "force" ND to join your own conference when they aren't guaranteed to do so. That's why you have never seen any indication, even from Jim Delany, that they would shut out independents from the playoff system. The status quo of ND staying independent is better than the upheaval from ND choosing to join someone other than your own conference. They'll all temporarily delude themselves into thinking that they can get ND periodically (even the Big 12 fell for it!), but once they sober up, they realize that it's better to leave well enough alone.

You would think the new TV deals would have shown them that ND doesn't make or break their own earning prospects.

Reaction Score
Tank and everyone else I think you are 100% wrong on ND. ND fleeced Swofford big time. If the ACC could can ND right now they should do it in a heartbeat. Talk to me about FSU and Clemson when ND steals their bowl bids.

Sure maybe the ND deal kept the ACC together for (what) 8 difficult months. But the ACC will now have years of regretting that decision.

The deal is so one sided in ND's favor its a joke.

I am really looking forward to the day in 2016 when the 4 teams into the playoffs are: Pac 12 champ, B1G champ, Texas, and a 10-2 ND beating out the ACC 10-2 champ. With ND's vs ACC record 4-1 with wins over Duke, Miami, NC State, Syracuse and a loss to VT.

pj

Reaction Score
I am really looking forward to the day in 2016 when the 4 teams into the playoffs are: Pac 12 champ, B1G champ, Texas, and a 10-2 ND beating out the ACC 10-2 champ. With ND's vs ACC record 4-1 with wins over Duke, Miami, NC State, Syracuse and a loss to VT.

That would be fun, with Fox and NBC teams squeezing out the ESPN / SEC / ACC. Hard to believe a 10-2 ND would get in ahead of the SEC champ though.

Reaction Score
So besides buying the ACC time to fend off being torn apart, inventory and reach for any ACC Network, additional money towards media contract, 5 guaranteed games which will invariably help the ACC's SOS and ticket sales, yes, I am sure the ACC is very upset with their ND deal. With four slots available, I don't think the ACC champ will be holding ND to blame if they fail to make it.

Reaction Score
Frank is exactly right. Nobody is going to try to "force" ND to join any conference for football.

The ND/ACC is a good deal for both sides. You won't find many ACC fans or administrators complaining.

ND has access to ACC minor bowls, but will not keep the money. That money will go into the ACC pool to be split among all of the members.

ND does not share any of the ESPN TV contract, but keeps the NBC deal money. The ND games at ACC venues (they are being rotated among all schools) will likely be revenue generating events for the host school and ESPN. ND will play all ACC schools.

Its first games against FSU and Clemson will be at those venues, not in South Bend.

ND is going to be a big part of the ACC Network deal. It will provide lots of content for that network.

JeepCSC hit many of the other benefits to the ACC from the ND partnership. Both the ACC and ND are happy with this deal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC Network is a shiny fantasy - it exists only in some quotes, not real life. They'll sell it in North Carolina and perhaps Virginia - it's Raycom, Jr.

I don't see how Notre Dame helps an ACC network - any ND/ACC football game not in South Bend will be on ESPN/ABC.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC network is real, but it's biggest selling point would be basketball at any rate. With UNC, Duke, and Notre Dame, it would have 3 of the largest fanbases nationally.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Fishy is right. The ACC network will be Raycom Jr. swofford has to keep his son's job for him, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom