Wisconsin AD doesn't include ACC as part of his proposed "super league" | The Boneyard

Wisconsin AD doesn't include ACC as part of his proposed "super league"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.journalstandard.com/spor...s-Wisconsin-AD-Alvarez-advocates-super-league

“I’d like to see a super league,’’ Alvarez told the Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register. “I’d like to see a league — Southeastern Conference, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 — and have your own rules. Have rules that you know what the hell they are and that you could actually follow them, and let them have it. We’ve got a lot of rules. There’re a lot of haves and have-nots, and you’re making rules to make the have-nots happy.

It would be funny if all the teams in the ACC somehow got locked out of top level athletic participation because of their exit fee. The 4 conferences would have to fill up to 16 teams each with teams from the Big East. Now, I know this isn't going to happen, but it's still fun to think about. And it's nice to see him slamming the ACC. I wonder if they're mad in Big Ten country about Notre Dame joining the ACC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be funny. It would be tragic. Alvarez's line of thinking is exactly what's wrong with college football and it's exactly what threatens UConn's multimillion dollar investment in its program. The funny part is that the -clown makes that statement during the very week where the Big10 has no teams ranked in the Coaches' Poll (due to the OSU thing) while the NBE has four teams and the ACC has two. Also, in many power ratings, the Big East has caught up to them. It must burn him in the ...;)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Between 12 to 20 slots are still open for a power 4 and breakaway.
lets asume the b10 secand pac are safe. The b12 and acc are in a battle for 4th and not being picked apart.

Locks from those 2- nd fsu clem gt ncst unc vt uva md tex tt ok okst kan kst wvu. Thats 16 teams from those 2 confs that are locks to be apart of this future power 4.

We still have 10 to 18 slots open dependin on all confs going to 16 or 18.

Of that group you have this
Bc uconn cuse pitt ruty temple wake duke miami bay tcu ist bsu byu ucf lville cincy.

Thats 17 teams that are worthy of those spots.

Then u also have smu uh unr unlv haw etc...

So are we top 10 of that group? Geography plays a huge role for us now. The pac will have 4-6 of those slots to fill. That hurts the numbers game a lot for us. We have to hope the b10 and sec are scheming to pick apart the b12. Thats our best hope.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be funny. It would be tragic. Alvarez's line of thinking is exactly what's wrong with college football and it's exactly what threatens UConn's multimillion dollar investment in its program. The funny part is that the -clown makes that statement during the very week where the Big10 has no teams ranked in the Coaches' Poll (due to the OSU thing) while the NBE has four teams and the ACC has two. Also, in many power ratings, the Big East has caught up to them. It must burn him in the ...;)

It would be great irony though. They've led the charge to make college sports more exclusive. If their efforts lead to them getting locked out then it would be blowback of the greatest kind.

Reaction Score
Greedy mother-----ers.

But Cartels fail. They fail because there is room for more. There are non-ESPN networks needy for content. There are fans of schools like ours & others that will work the angles to outmaneuver.

There are realistically about 20 schools that are far superior. WE (UConn) and some of our conference peers have far better futures than about 15 that are now locked in his Big Superduper 4.

Alvarez is just expressing what they have been trying to do. Let's go have a more exciting league than those stale B1G grinders. The new AFL .... after we get rid of PP.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Alvarez's comments would be yet another exhibit in one of the easiest and most lopsided anti-trust cases in the history of our country. The BCS has zero chance of winning an anti-trust case if it tried to break off. It would get absolutely destroyed, and the legal penalties would be massive and crippling.

Reaction Score
We have one of the top 50 athletic departments...while as a member of the Big East.

Reaction Score
I take it the Wisc Prez was not at the same conference Herbst just got back from.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Never happen. They try it and they will need to leave the NCAA for all sports to pull it off. I don't think the Presidents will go for it. Congress would probably step in as well. The whole point is silly.

Reaction Score
The b12 and acc are in a battle for 4th and not being picked apart.

There is no battle. Texas and OU mean the Big12 wins over the ACC - on every front.

Look, if this scenario went down, the better teams from the ACC would be absorbed by the power 4 conferences. Teams will leave the ACC and none of them will pay close to $50M. This super league would actually be the best situation for everyone involved. It is better for schools with lesser resources to compete against similar institutions.

Reaction Score
Between 12 to 20 slots are still open for a power 4 and breakaway.
lets asume the b10 secand pac are safe. The b12 and acc are in a battle for 4th and not being picked apart.

Locks from those 2- nd fsu clem gt ncst unc vt uva md tex tt ok okst kan kst wvu. Thats 16 teams from those 2 confs that are locks to be apart of this future power 4.

We still have 10 to 18 slots open dependin on all confs going to 16 or 18.

Of that group you have this
Bc uconn cuse pitt ruty temple wake duke miami bay tcu ist bsu byu ucf lville cincy.

Thats 17 teams that are worthy of those spots.

Then u also have smu uh unr unlv haw etc...

So are we top 10 of that group? Geography plays a huge role for us now. The pac will have 4-6 of those slots to fill. That hurts the numbers game a lot for us. We have to hope the b10 and sec are scheming to pick apart the b12. Thats our best hope.

Actually the comments make no mention of adding any schools. You're just trying to reconcile the 16 team conference paradigm (myth?) with these comments about a "Super League". To be fair, Alavarez did not specifically exclude the ACC (or Big East for that matter). So it's unclear if he was just listing example conferences or making a final list. His main point was simply having the "big boys" have their own rules and "league". As a fan, I don't like and don't see the point. the "big boys" already rule football as is. It's not like they need more power. There's no need to segregate it further and potentially water down the other Division 1-A/FBS schools.

Reaction Score
Big 1G is becoming less relevant as the years go by and I think they are trying to protect their position by trying to exclude others. Think about it for a second. The Midwest has so many economic and demographic issues working against them, especially relative to the South, West and Mid Atlantic states. And, what schools in the Big 1G have LT sustainable recruiting advantages? In other words, what schools have enough recruits in their own backyard every year that are focused on attending their state's university that could field a top 25 program year in and year out? Probably 2: Ohio State and Penn St. Michigan, maybe, but they get a bunch of talent from Ohio, and possibly Illinois.

I checked last year's Rivals ratings. Indiana (2 B1G schools), Michigan (2 Big 1G schools), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska had a grand total of 14 4 and 5 star recruits. The entire states of the Big 1G had 54 4 and 5 star recruits. In contrast, the SEC states (including Texas and FL) had 156 4 and 5 star recruits!

Reaction Score

There is no battle. Texas and OU mean the Big12 wins over the ACC - on every front.

Look, if this scenario went down, the better teams from the ACC would be absorbed by the power 4 conferences. Teams will leave the ACC and none of them will pay close to $50M. This super league would actually be the best situation for everyone involved. It is better for schools with lesser resources to compete against similar institutions.

Well the battle would be whether OU and Texas stay or go elsewhere. It's infinitely easier to divide up a few select schools from the Big 12 (and yes, I'm ignoring the Grant of Rights factor) than to divide up almost the entire ACC. I mean its not happening either way since this is some AD's wet dream, but the Big 12's existence is almost entirely linked to Texas. They almost left and the conference almost died. No school in the ACC would cause it's collapse. You'd need at least half a dozen schools to leave for that to start becoming a possibility.

So if we're talking about pipe dream Super Conferences, the easy route is to plusk out Texas and let the rest of the Big 12 fall by the wayside.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
a super league means the follwoing
-schools one by one split from the ncaa
-no anti trust issues
-conf from ncaa days mean nothing. can be rebuilt repicked redone. miss st and wash st types may also be .

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It is better for schools with lesser resources to compete against similar institutions.
And if UConn, BYU or Louisville are on the outside but have more or similar resources to schools that are included in the conference, like say GT/Wazzou/ISU/Northwestern/WF/BC/Minn/Indiana? What then?

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine how this kind of thing would not lead to lawsuits and congressional investigations (worthy or not) with the number of state institutions and public dollars that would be involved.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Except that the schools with lesser resources would have no chance to elevate their profile. Without access to the top dollar they'd be little more than FCS schools. It would only be the best scenario for those schools that were deemed elite. Schools that spent money to elevate their programs would get little or no ROI. How is that good for them? The super league would suck for anyone that didn't make the cut and would instantly be subject to antitrust scrutiny.

Reaction Score
Except that the schools with lesser resources would have no chance to elevate their profile. Without access to the top dollar they'd be little more than FCS schools. It would only be the best scenario for those schools that were deemed elite. Schools that spent money to elevate their programs would get little or no ROI. How is that good for them? The super league would suck for anyone that didn't make the cut and would instantly be subject to antitrust scrutiny.

If UConn didn't make it in, I would be done with college sports. I only started watching college football when UConn joined the bigs. Many of my friends feel the same way. Eliminating so many schools would severely damage the total revenue generated by college sports.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
a super league means the follwoing
-schools one by one split from the ncaa
-no anti trust issues
-conf from ncaa days mean nothing. can be rebuilt repicked redone. miss st and wash st types may also be Fecundityed.
If the top 50 or so schools split from the NCAA, would the NCAA forebode its member institutions from scheduling against those schools? How the heck do your olympic sports survive the travel costs? How does Cal or USC's water polo team or BC's hockey team find enough games for a season? What happens to title IX? If the money is right, there are ways to make it work - but man there are a lot of "what if"s.

Reaction Score
MHver3 has some new posts out within the last hour regarding Big Ten expansion. He says the Big Ten is looking to take 4 schools.

http://twitter.com/MHver3

I would like to point out, as I have before, that I think MHver3 is a phony. This article with the Wisconsin AD comes out yesterday, and now suddenly MHver3 says the Big Ten is expanding... Classic MHver3 taking a current bit of news and embellishing details. I know that nelson believes in him, and you never know for sure, so I still like to see what he is saying.

Reaction Score
MHver3 has some new posts out within the last hour regarding Big Ten expansion. He says the Big Ten is looking to take 4 schools.

http://twitter.com/MHver3

I would like to point out, as I have before, that I think MHver3 is a phony. This article with the Wisconsin AD comes out yesterday, and now suddenly MHver3 says the Big Ten is expanding... Classic MHver3 taking a current bit of news and embellishing details. I know that nelson believes in him, and you never know for sure, so I still like to see what he is saying.
G Tech, UNC, UVA, Miami are the targets according to him. The first 3 have been rumored for a while. Miami? When will they field a hockey team?

Reaction Score
I guess the mythical academic barrier is sliding. Two more teams to add to the BiG10 probation list in the future. Makes no sense..,

Reaction Score
There is no chance the Big Ten is looking to expand. If they really were, surely their would have been some communication between the Big Ten and those schools before they voted for a $50 million exit fee.

I remember the day it was announced Notre Dame was joining the ACC and the exit fees were in place, and thinking all this talk about expansion was just fan talk and nothing was really ever serious. What I think is funny is that expansion talk has continued unabated. For me, serious thoughts regarding expansion ended that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom