Will you be watching the tournament? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will you be watching the tournament?

Reaction Score
I'll definitely be watching the men.

As for the women, I'll probably follow scores online and may tune in if there's a close game, but in all likelihood I won't be watching the rest of the tournament. It's just going to be a SC coronation.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Curious if all the fans here will still continue to watch? Totally understandable if not, sometimes you feel when your team lost there's just not the same feeling seeing another team advance.
I picked SC to win it all and I expect them to, but if by some miracle doesn't happen I really have fallen in love with the Vtech team. A lot of people were not "impressed" with them early on, another convincing win vs Tenn. Will be interesting to see how Osu does after a emotional win. Seems like any team that beats Uconn seems to fall flat the next game.
I will follow to see South Carolina go down. Even though Dawn has created a dynasty. I will root for Ohio State and Virginia Tech. Also, lest we forget, UCONN MEN ARE IN THE FINAL FOUR.

Reaction Score
Probably.

Since I live 15 minutes from Louisville. . . Louisville went further than UConn.

Like the way VTech played.

However. I'm begging to lose interest in WBB. It's becoming more violent. Last night (even replayed) a Tennessee player basically assaulted the VT player and the officials. . . Seems to yawn.

Haven't watched the men in years because it's NBA light & the WBB is becoming just violent.
I saw that ugly to me intentional foul
As I recall not only the refs but also the announcer didn’t comment on it

Reaction Score
Not sure where to put this but about watching the teams remaining in the playoffs
The big three - UConn TN and ND - all sunk on the same day and the good ship SC sails merrily along untouched……

Reaction Score
Probably.

Since I live 15 minutes from Louisville. . . Louisville went further than UConn.

Like the way VTech played.

However. I'm begging to lose interest in WBB. It's becoming more violent. Last night (even replayed) a Tennessee player basically assaulted the VT player and the officials. . . Seems to yawn.

Haven't watched the men in years because it's NBA light & the WBB is becoming just violent.
Have to agree. Looking at the women's game the past 25 years (admittedly through my rose colored glasses) it has been a pleasure to watch. A game that generally rewarded athleticism, determination, and great coaching. No going back I suppose, which IMO is a real shame. Great while it lasted though.

Reaction Score
Curious if all the fans here will still continue to watch? Totally understandable if not, sometimes you feel when your team lost there's just not the same feeling seeing another team advance.
I picked SC to win it all and I expect them to, but if by some miracle doesn't happen I really have fallen in love with the Vtech team. A lot of people were not "impressed" with them early on, another convincing win vs Tenn. Will be interesting to see how Osu does after an emotional win. Seems like any team that beats Uconn seems to fall flat the next game.
I do not have a favorite team still in the tournament but I plan to watch every game. Guess as of today I am pulling for Iowa to win it all.

Reaction Score
I'm still looking forward to the remaining games. I'll be watching but without the same emotional investment. As long as South Carolina loses I'll be happy.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I won't be watching the women's tournament after Uconn lost. But I'll definitely be watching the Uconn Men's team. BTW, what a game they had vs Gonzaga. They were clicking in all cylinders.

Side note: Uconns basketball programs are once again legitimizing the power house the Big East really is in basketball. I hope more top recruits consider our conference.

Reaction Score
I will not be, unless SC is not in the championship game. Then I might tune in for a few minutes.

Usually once UConn’s season is over the season is over for me too. I WILL be watching the UConn men (hopefully winning it all).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I picked SC to win it all and I expect them to, but if by some miracle doesn't happen I really have fallen in love with the Vtech team. A lot of people were not "impressed" with them early on, another convincing win vs Tenn. Will be interesting to see how Osu does after a emotional win. Seems like any team that beats Uconn seems to fall flat the next game.
Hey social, welcome to the club, and yes, I will be watching the remainder of the tournament because I'm a WCBB fan in general, and a UConn WBB fan specifically. I picked SC to win the NC this year during this past summer right after Paige and Ice were lost for the year.
A lot of our fellow Boneyarders have the kind of faith and hope that can move mountains. My faith in our team at that point wasn't quite that strong. I was a prisoner to the old reliable "eye test." I just couldn't see it.

I followed SC closely all year. I noted that they won game after game after game. I also noted that we lost two games to teams we should have beaten. We also lost two games back-to-back for the first time in 3 decades. We lost two conference games to unranked opponents (Marquette & St. John's). All of these "red flags" were further indications (to me) that this was not our year. That gave me pause for concern. I also took note of the injuries we suffered during the year, often being down to 2 reserve players on the bench, Ines Bettencourt and Amari DeBerry. A freshman and a sophomore with minimal experience. IMO, in order for us to beat SC, we need our entire roster healthy, motivated, and in sync.

That did not happen. We would have been a completely different team if ALL of our players had remained healthy and injury free all season. It didn't happen. It wasn't our year. At UConn, THAT is the only goal at the beginning of every season....to win the national championship. Last year UConn was the runner-up to South Carolina for the national championship. UConn fans for the most part were not happy, we lost. There were a lot of unhappy fans that expressed their displeasure here in the yard.

We were 40 minutes away from the NC, but that was as close as we would get. The better team won that day. I honestly think next year is our year for lots of reasons. The road to the championship will not be an easy one. It never is. Look at all of the talented teams in this year's tournament. Note the teams that made the sweet 16. #8 seed Ole Miss knocked off #1 seed Stanford, while #9 Miami sent #1 seed Indiana home for the summer during the first weekend. Nobody saw THAT coming. Those two upsets messed up 99% of the brackets sent into ESPN's Tournament Challenge.

UConn should still be in the tournament but was shown the door by upstart Ohio State. How rude!!! :mad: How many brackets had Miami and LSU in the great 8? :eek: Not mine. Geno said it in his Ohio State post-game presser: "It's hard to win the tournament." A question I always like to ask fans is.....which is harder to do....win a championship, or repeat?

I'm done commenting on this year's games. I like to look ahead, not back. My focus is now on the 2023-2024 season and our returning players, our incoming freshmen, and their ability to make the adjustments to play at this level, and learn enough of Geno's system to play "meaningful" minutes in preseason games before the holiday break. 13 players are on our current roster (I'm including Jana El Alfy) We lose 2 (Lou Lopez-Senechal and Dorka Juhasz). We gain 3 freshmen in KK Arnold, Qadence Samuels, and Ashlynn Shade. That's 14 players for next year. There's some speculation that Geno may add another player from the portal this spring/summer. That will be a topic of discussion and debate for sure.

I will also be interested in our preseason schedule when it is released sometime in mid to late September. Since the BIG EAST has reduced the number of conference games next season from 20 to 18, Geno can add two more teams to his preseason schedule. It will be interesting to see what new teams will be added to the mix. This is it for me for the day. Enjoy your Sunday everyone, and enjoy the games if you intend to watch. :) Carnac out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After the continual disgrace the NCAA serves up as "officiating" with direct impact on outcome? Oh h#||z no.

A quote from the master, Stephen Sondheim's, "Sweeney Todd" comes to mind:
"That's all too clear what company you keep! Serve them well and hold their custom, for you'll have none of mine!"

Well until next year anyway. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, BRING ON THE MEN!!!

Reaction Score
I’ll be watching but def not an Iowa fan. Hoping they drop off this round and will otherwise enjoy watching some outstanding players.

Reaction Score
Will definitely watch and support the UConn men.

Undecided about the women's side. If I watch, it will be with the sound muted..... unless it's Sue and Dee.
I am mostly watching for the Sue and Dee show. It's almost guranteed that SC makes it to the championship, and I don't want to hear regular announcers or the SC coach gone on about how South Carolina is predestined to win because a victory for them is good for women's basketball. [Insert eye roll here]. It's seems that the players are sweet people but there's only so much saccharine praise I can take.

Reaction Score
EMLady and I have been fans - of the Huskies and the women's game in general - since before the first championship, perhaps not very vocal, but fans nonetheless. We were at Climate Pledge yesterday, hoping to see the team advance to the Elite Eight... which obviously didn't happen. It seemed as though - after jumping out to that original short-lived lead - they had nothing left in the tank. Except for Lou, who left everything on the floor.

We stayed for the second game and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Chatted up some nearby VT fans and we've - for the duration of the tournament - adopted the Hokies. Swap a vowel and add an 'S' and you've got 'Huskies'. They're fun to watch, and they were, after all, once upon a time a Big East team. If they fall short tomorrow, we'll probably adopt some other underdog until we get past April second.

But to echo several others, the increasing physicality and violence we're seeing on the court is definitely a turn-off. And that makes stepping away from the game at the end of the season a lot easier. We'll miss our Huskies (until they reassemble in August)... but not the rugby scrums.

And although we pay only slight attention to the men's team, watching their performance in the second half last night was a pretty nice consolation prize.

Reaction Score
Depending on if Iowa makes it to the FF, I’ll watch until then. But if SC makes the championship I won’t. It’ll be a given at that point

Reaction Score
Once UConn went down my interest is pretty much over but I’ll root for anyone playing against South Carolina

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom