Will UCONN go undefeated in 2013-14?

Will UCONN go undefeated this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And won the national championship last year.

You're welcome.
In spite of. ;)

We coulda won the league and the BE tourney if not for the likes of you. You guys will never learn.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Most that believe UCONN might not go undefeated state they could be done in by a poor shooting performance. They will probably be a top three scoring team, but there offense is not why I don't believe they will be nearly unbeatable. Their defense will be top three as well and while they could possibly have a poor shooting game, it is hard to imagine a team scoring enough points against them to win. I will paraphrase Morgan Tuck... "If they can't score, they can't win."
It's their defense which seams to get better and tighter - especially when they infrequently struggle on offense. Very few teams work hard enough for 40 minutes to beat them. N Dame was one of the few that had the talent, coaching and heart.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
What I like best about our teams is that they very rarely lose a game that they should have one. The last time they did [that I remember] was that loss against St. John's 2 years ago. Ugh, that was devastating.
Was in Gampel. You know, St Johns was athletic, back court was superb, and it was really memorable to be at that game. Like Louisville- Baylor! That's why we still play the games!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Im biased, but I think the Duke roster is deeper than TN's....

Duke is ridiculously deep:
PG: Chelsea Gray/Chloe Wells
SG: Alexis Jones/Rebecca Greenwell
SF: Tricia Liston/Richa Jackson
PF: Haley Peters/Oderah Chidom
C: Elizabeth Williams/Kendall Cooper/Amber Henson

11 players who could all contend for significant playing time. Jones/Gray/Wells are all true point guards. If their freshmen are as good as advertised, they beat UCONN in terms of depth, although UCONN is more top heavy in talent.

Tennessee isn't deep at all this year:
PG: Ariel Massengale/Andraya Carter
SG: Meighan Simmons/Jordan Reynolds
SF: Cierra Burdick
PF: Bashaara Graves/Jasmine Jones
C: Mercedes Russell/Isabelle Harrison

I don't see Nia Moore logging big minutes for UT, and that's their entire roster. Starting 5 should be pretty solid (if healthy), Harrison will be a big contributor (whether she starts or comes off the bench) but besides those 6, there aren't any proven players or incoming freshmen who are expected to make a big splash.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to be cocky, but I have already written off the 2013-14 season as undefeated. My concentration is now on the 2014-15 season. Actually, I guess that is kind of cocky. Oh well. So be it.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Duke is ridiculously deep:
PG: Chelsea Gray/Chloe Wells
SG: Alexis Jones/Rebecca Greenwell
SF: Tricia Liston/Richa Jackson
PF: Haley Peters/Oderah Chidom
C: Elizabeth Williams/Kendall Cooper/Amber Henson

11 players who could all contend for significant playing time.
I thought Becca was injured. Will she be ready for the season?

Reaction Score
I don't mean to be cocky, but I have already written off the 2013-14 season as undefeated. My concentration is now on the 2014-15 season. Actually, I guess that is kind of cocky. Oh well. So be it.

I wouldn't be surprised. Almost expecting them to go undefeated the next two years. Great coaching + having the best roster of players. At the very least, barring some massive injuries, I don't see Uconn NOT winning the next two NC. Of course, anything can happen.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Frankly my question is will we go 91 unfeated games and break our old record...could happen, as long as Stewie is Stewie, and KLM is KLM....not to mention all our other very bright lights. I guess this is bad for the Mojo...but seriously it could happen.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Frankly my question is will we go 91 unfeated games and break our old record...could happen, as long as Stewie is Stewie, and KLM is KLM....not to mention all our other very bright lights. I guess this is bad for the Mojo...but seriously it could happen.
Who's KLM? :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So sorry...I do this all the time....
KML.jpg

Reaction Score
Being undefeated will come down to guard play. You know Stewie and KML will be in the running for NPOY. Steph will have a chance as well if she is healthy. You know what you are going to get out of Tuck. But as we've seen over the years - guard play is extremely crucial. You know what you are going to get out of KML, Stewie, Tuck, Mo Jeff and Stokes. And if Steph is healthy.

However, if for whatever reason we need outside shooting on a day when both Stewie and KML are off or one is bricking and the other isn't doing so hot- one game or two we'll need our guards to step up with shooting. You can get by with Steph shooting from outside or Tuck can hit an occasional outside shot but they're much stronger in the paint. Though Steph is pretty good, Anyhow - Mo Jeff can't shoot. 99% of the time we won't need her to. If Bria is bricking like last year for most of the season and Banks isn't the same- I expect we'll get beat once or twice.

IMO wildcards to the season are injuries with Steph and Banks, Banks quality of play, and which Bria will we see?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I expect Kiah to see a lot of time this season. Stef is graduating is one reason. As far as hitting outside shots. This team has 4 AAs and 2-3 who could be NPOY. Give that this team will be hard pressed not to score 100 pts a game and Im not so sure outside shooting will be that important in the end. It is important but I have to wonder if it will have that much of a bearing on how much we score. We are going to score a lot of points every game and opponets defenses will have their hands full trying to stop us. This years version of the UConn Huskies will be a Nitemare for all opponet's Intimidation, fear, and loss of determination because they will be getting blown out and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Yeah Geno will call off the dogs and go to a zone, and not run, and slow it down but there is no way possible for any college team to stop UConn this year and most likely next year. Stop and think about what this team is made up of. Lets go over it again....
4 All Americans most likely first team AAs
2 HS NPOY
Extremely talented post players.
Number 1 defense in WCBB
5 players who can score over 20 pts on any given night. (Stef, KML, Breanna. Morgan, Bria)

The tuffest things that opponets are going to have to deal with is how to keep UConn under 100 pts a game and not giving up when they are getting beat by so many points. This season it will matter more then ever to make sure we don't get careless with the ball, shot selection, letting up. The only thing that can slow us down is key injuries. We have just to many weapons and to many weapons coming off the bench.

I like the short roster. Yeah it could hurt us if we get injured but I like that fact that we have 9 fully committed team players. No bad attitudes and no bad apples. Geno has built a solid foundation for this team and he will add to it.

Reaction Score
Give that this team will be hard pressed not to score 100 pts a game and Im not so sure outside shooting will be that important in the end.
These are college kids, not pros. A few games they aren’t going to be machine.

It is important but I have to wonder if it will have that much of a bearing on how much we score. We are going to score a lot of points every game and opponets defenses will have their hands full trying to stop us.
Not every game did the combo of DT and Bird shoot a high percentage. To believe that the combo of Stewie and KML not having a few off games is over-confidence. It’s a team game for a reason. All players must contribute. Shooting is one of the fundamentals of basketball. Just because nine games we’d shot well doesn’t offset a tenth game we don’t.

They aren’t machines. They are kids.

So you think without a doubt UCON is going to get 4 first team aa’s? So as an unpartial observer you think Bria is without a doubt a first team a/a?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Give that this team will be hard pressed not to score 100 pts a game and Im not so sure outside shooting will be that important in the end.
These are college kids, not pros. A few games they aren’t going to be machine.

It is important but I have to wonder if it will have that much of a bearing on how much we score. We are going to score a lot of points every game and opponets defenses will have their hands full trying to stop us.
Not every game did the combo of DT and Bird shoot a high percentage. To believe that the combo of Stewie and KML not having a few off games is over-confidence. It’s a team game for a reason. All players must contribute. Shooting is one of the fundamentals of basketball. Just because nine games we’d shot well doesn’t offset a tenth game we don’t.

They aren’t machines. They are kids.

So you think without a doubt UCON is going to get 4 first team aa’s? So as an unpartial observer you think Bria is without a doubt a first team a/a?

Why are you trying to twist what I posted???? That is rude, obnoxious, and makes you look like a Tenn Fan. Please re read what I posted and understand what I ment.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I expect Kiah to see a lot of time this season. Stef is graduating is one reason. As far as hitting outside shots. This team has 4 AAs and 2-3 who could be NPOY. Give that this team will be hard pressed not to score 100 pts a game and Im not so sure outside shooting will be that important in the end. It is important but I have to wonder if it will have that much of a bearing on how much we score. We are going to score a lot of points every game and opponets defenses will have their hands full trying to stop us. This years version of the UConn Huskies will be a Nitemare for all opponet's Intimidation, fear, and loss of determination because they will be getting blown out and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Yeah Geno will call off the dogs and go to a zone, and not run, and slow it down but there is no way possible for any college team to stop UConn this year and most likely next year. Stop and think about what this team is made up of. Lets go over it again....
2 HS NPOY
Extremely talented post players.
Number 1 defense in WCBB
5 players who can score over 20 pts on any given night. (Stef, KML, Breanna. Morgan, Bria)

The tuffest things that opponets are going to have to deal with is how to keep UConn under 100 pts a game and not giving up when they are getting beat by so many points. This season it will matter more then ever to make sure we don't get careless with the ball, shot selection, letting up. The only thing that can slow us down is key injuries. We have just to many weapons and to many weapons coming off the bench.

I like the short roster. Yeah it could hurt us if we get injured but I like that fact that we have 9 fully committed team players. No bad attitudes and no bad apples. Geno has built a solid foundation for this team and he will add to it.

Bria Hartley played like an AA all through the University Games. She was exceptional. And she got very big props from Coach Coale.

I expect a banner season from Bria. Forget last season. Bria was playing on a bum ankle all year -- even in th Final Four.

She was an excellent shooter in all the WUG games. Including making big shots when they were most needed in the close games.

She will terrorize opponents all season and in both Final Four games.

Reaction Score
Why are you trying to twist what I posted???? That is rude, obnoxious, and makes you look like a Tenn Fan. Please re read what I posted and understand what I ment.

You speak to me about rude and obnoxious? Are you kidding me? And Tuck is a NPOY candidate? Sure.

This team could be greatest ever. For me the main player is Bria to make it a possibility. Your take on Tuck from a prior post is preposterous.

Reaction Score
cfrerarr I think Stewie is the best but I'll take either of them being 1 and two whichever is!!!!

Stewie impacts the game big time defensively too.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hoophuskee...Breanna is a unique player and will most likely end up being one of the best WCBB players ever to play this game...but KML has not gotten the recognition she deserves. She is the best shooter in the country, she hustles after every ball, she throws her body into every play...she has the heart of a champion. She has worked on every aspect of her game...right now, I believe that KML is the best player in WCBB and that KML's only problem is that she is only a junior...and, has the next great one in WCBB coming right up behind her...and, who will more than likely overtake KML before KML graduates.

All that being said, what a luxury to have them both on the team at the same time.

Reaction Score
Being undefeated will come down to guard play. You know Stewie and KML will be in the running for NPOY. Steph will have a chance as well if she is healthy. You know what you are going to get out of Tuck. But as we've seen over the years - guard play is extremely crucial. You know what you are going to get out of KML, Stewie, Tuck, Mo Jeff and Stokes. And if Steph is healthy.

However, if for whatever reason we need outside shooting on a day when both Stewie and KML are off or one is bricking and the other isn't doing so hot- one game or two we'll need our guards to step up with shooting. You can get by with Steph shooting from outside or Tuck can hit an occasional outside shot but they're much stronger in the paint. Though Steph is pretty good, Anyhow - Mo Jeff can't shoot. 99% of the time we won't need her to. If Bria is bricking like last year for most of the season and Banks isn't the same- I expect we'll get beat once or twice.

IMO wildcards to the season are injuries with Steph and Banks, Banks quality of play, and which Bria will we see?

Your posts would be taken a tad more seriously if you learn how to spell our player's names correctly. For instance, there is no ph in Stef.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

You speak to me about rude and obnoxious? Are you kidding me? And Tuck is a NPOY candidate? Sure.

This team could be greatest ever. For me the main player is Bria to make it a possibility. Your take on Tuck from a prior post is preposterous.

You simply do not know how to read TonyC's hyperbole. In Tony speak it is always possible for UCONN to have 7, maybe 8 first team All Americans. Using normal standards Tony's optimism is barely above normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom