Will there be a basketball season, if no fans are allowed in the stadiums? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will there be a basketball season, if no fans are allowed in the stadiums?

Reaction Score
Type 1 diabetes is caused by variants of the HLA-DQA1, HLA-DQB1, and HLA-DRB1 genes. These genes provide instructions for making proteins that play a critical role in the immune system. -Per the NIH

So Type 1 diabetes is not preventable. It is genetic (prevented only if not in your families genetic portfolio). It can only be treated with insulin for survival. A drug many can't afford causing death.
Ok wise guy. I’m taking about the 92% of diabetics thatare Type 2. thats usually what people infer when they talk about preventing/reversing diabetes, not using CRISPR. U know, those that eat crap like refined carbs are overweight and don’t exercise.....the type that is preventable. Or the30% of the population that is pre diabetic. Not the .5% of the population that are born with a genetic defect

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No - with a vaccine the death rate hopefully drops down to flu levels. Getting tired of people talking about how many people the flu killed. The flu killed 30,000 americans last year. Covid has killed 30,000 in the past 6 weeks, with social distancing in place. The two are not comparable.

People who diss the flu either to minimize it or maximize this virus are pretty ignorant .
Yes It Usually kills 30,000 with conservative reporting and a vaccine. 50% are vaccinated but the % is much higher in high risk groups .
You Probably know the flu killed 600,000 Americans ,(including my 32 grandfather,in 1918-19 ) with a US pop of about 95,000,000
But you probably didn’t know the 1957 flu epidemic killed 150,000 in population of 160,000,000. Even the 1968 Flu killed 100,000
My wife.who just became a mother was deathly sick in that one
We’ve also had a few more that killed numbers around what this virus will.
Make no mistake the flu especially new strains can be extremely deadly.
Even in alleged benign years like the 1990’s when it was considered a weak year . I missed two weeks of work lost 15 lbs and at its worst prayed for death. Ignorance of the flu comes from the many labeling their last cold erroneously or getting extremely light cases .
This disease like the flu probably has infected 10 times the number who actually had reported it. They estimate 60,000,000 Americans got H1N1 in 2009 I won’t be surprised if this epidemic won’t approach those numbers.
The good and bad news was 90% were either asymptotic or symptoms equivalent to the common cold. The problem arises from from the 10% and the facts were are just learning about this strain.
I’m not hanging my hat on a vaccine as the medical professionals have never successfully created one for any Corona virus including SARS or the one Corona variety of the common cold in 100 years of trying.
Testing , better treatment, and herd immunity are a safer bet.

Reaction Score
Quantum Computing will help us create vaccines quicker. Can't wait for that tech in next 10 years.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If people knew how incredibly low the mortality rate is for everyone who isn't old or has heart disease, respiratory disease, or diabetes then they would probably be out in droves when things open back up. A plan should always be focused around protecting that segment of society.

It's strange we keep hearing 12-18 months for a vaccine. They don't know if it's 12-18 months, 3 years, 5 years and beyond. One thing we do know is we can't hide from this forever.
AMEN

Reaction Score

We still may be months from any clarity about the fate of the 2020 college football season, but we now have a definitive answer on at least one key element.

On Wednesday, Vice President Mike Pence, who serves as chairman of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, held a conference call with the conference commissioners who oversee the College Football Playoff. Their primary message: College sports will not return until it’s deemed safe for the general student bodies at their universities to return to campuses.

“We were appreciative of the Vice President really wanting to understand our principles and the considerations we all have in relation to college football coming back,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott told The Athletic. “Until our universities feel it’s safe for students to come back to campus and participate in activities, there won’t be an opportunity for sports. That’s the fundamental difference (versus professional sports).”

“Our players are students,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBS Sports after the call. “If we’re not in college, we’re not having contests.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from yesterday. They aren't flying the basketball team to Hawaii or Atlantis in November to play tournaments or playing football games in October on empty college campuses. The only hope is either a delayed or shortened season beginning in February or so when we have a vaccine, but even then semesters will have started, most likely online only still for certain universities.

The Mayor of Los Angeles yesterday said there will be no concerts or sports in Los Angeles until 2021. Anyone that thinks the season is starting on time per usual is in for a rude awakening.
Jesus. Stop depressing me. It’s only mid April. The fall is very far away. And college hoops doesn’t really pop off till mid November. First thing to get cancelled will be NBA (pretty much Foregone conclusion) thenMLB , then if they cancel NFL we should start getting worried about college hoops. A lot can change in 6 months. Imagine no NFL Sundays this year and not being able to see bouknight in the Big East ? I refuse to believe it people are already losing their minds and it’s only mid April!!!! Let’s take everything in monthly stages and see where we stand - we’re barely halfway through spring And in reality only been dealing with this lockdown for a month (which has seemed like forever) multiply that by six more stages/months and let’s see where we are at come sept/oct- The real question is will there be fans in the stands(prolly not) -at the very least , you have to figure in six months guys can at least play on the court together. I think football will be the big key - it’ll be September by then /new academic year /NFL starting /the summer lockdown will be almost over/if NFL gets canceled that would be a big red flag. God I’m getting sick typing all this dont even want to think about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This might be the most depressing thread ever on the Boneyard. I refuse to read past the first page.
I honestly don’t even like thinking too deeply about this thing, because when you do, It does get very depressing. I think what makes it worse is the possible length of time we will be living like this, and the possibility that in the short term, summer will essentially be cancelled with no beach, no restaurants, no vacations, etc. Then, looking ahead to the fall with the prospect of kids still not being able to attend school/college and college sports being cancelled really is crazy. This was going to be one of the most anticipated seasons in a long time with our return to the Big East and It may not even happen.

With that said, I understand that everybody’s health comes first in all this. Please stay safe. We will get through this.

Reaction Score
The CEO of the College Board thinks school will be back in the fall. He most likely knows just as much as we do but that's what he's saying. I think they'll most likely be back, there will be much more treatments by then and everyone will be back in society well before then.

Reaction Score
I thought I read something a couple weeks ago to the effect that Bill Gates (through his foundation) was spending billions to produce seven potential vaccines before they even know if they will be effective, the thinking being that at least one of them is likely to work, even if the money is wasted on the others. This would put them way ahead of the standard timetable because production will begin before the clinical trials have been completed.

ETA:

And to think people think gates is somehow doing all of this for personal gain and shouldn’t be trusted

Reaction Score
California said no sports or concerts til 2021 its not speculation at this point

I think that's extremely premature. Nobody knows when things will return to normal. Experts can speculate, but nobody can speak factually on when this will pass. I've heard June, July/August, this fall, 12-18 months, and even until 2022. You can find an expert to give you any timeline out there. California is also a very liberal state, and those states will be much more cautious with easing social distancing measures. However, I'm not looking to get in to politics. Bottom line, nobody in the world can say for sure whether there will be basketball in the fall. You can take your best guess using the information you have, but it's just that...a guess. Fingers are crossed!

Reaction Score
Universities are already discussing. No summer classes and they said they need a minimum 6 weeks to plan for fall semester. Not sure how they can open up dorms without a vaccine or at least antibody and virus testing. BTW - South Korea said that they are finding people who had the virus, recovered and tested negative are testing positive again- not a huge sample yet but concerning if that is the case.
Be careful with those reports, they lack significant context necessary to form any conclusions. Mostly, how reliable was all of the testing done, how significant were the symptoms at all stages, etc.

Reaction Score
California said no sports or concerts til 2021 its not speculation at this point
The governor and some mayors speculated that could occur, not that it would. And that was also in reference to sporting events with fans.

Reaction Score
And to think people think gates is somehow doing all of this for personal gain and shouldn’t be trusted
I don’t know about personal gain but I do know I would never trust Bill Gates simply based on his world view and the company he keeps.

Reaction Score
That is consistent with recent polling. 75% say they don’t plan to attend games like they previously did. Just like folks are not going to restaurants or the theatre or other events, unless and until there is at least some level of confidence they will be safe. My guess is that attendance will be down for virtually all sports if they are played. The wild card of course is the question of whether covid19 comes back after the initial surge. If it does that will be the end of sports as we have become accustomed to seeing them.

yeah it’s going to be a while before most people will return to attending. Some people will never return. Cincy ending soccer was the canary in the coal mine and athletic departments are going to have to make some tough decisions this year. I think UConn is going to eliminate some sports before all is said and done possibly including football.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about personal gain but I do know I would never trust Bill Gates simply based on his world view and the company he keeps.
So what’s his motive in your opinion? He’s spending this money to play god?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This thread is the thread form of all the articles that list 10 possible outcomes and grab the most dramatic thing and put it as the headline.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Was it this thread that someone said “UConn is having all summer courses online”? As someone who just registered for their summer courses...The May session is online. At this time all else is going to continue as originally planned

Attachments

• BC8B352C-8EC4-43A2-B71D-22CAE772E2E2.jpeg
    BC8B352C-8EC4-43A2-B71D-22CAE772E2E2.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 109
Reaction Score
2 new reports make attendance even more questionable and games even suspect really. Apparently 60% of seamen on the Roosevelt who tested positive had no real symptoms. Maybe this virus doesn’t affect a large number of young healthy folks but they absolutely can be carriers. And of course the other 40% are still at risk. 2nd one seems to indicate that people are most contagious 2-4 days before showing ANY symptoms. So the guy you are sitting next to at Gampel might look and seem fine at the game on Saturday but by Tuesday be sick. You are at risk and didn’t even know it. Or Bouknight could be covering his man really tight. Neither have symptoms. The other guy might be fine but Bouknight and the rest of the UConn team end up quarantined when the other guy tests positive on Wednesday. Really need either this to really be reduced or an effective vaccine in place before college sports or pro sports return to normal I think.

Reaction Score
It will be a difficult decision for the college presidents. Will they be comfortable welcoming 40,000 marginally responsible young adults to campus and putting them in dorms, classrooms, cafeterias, and letting them roam freely in the bars at night. What happens if 100 are too sick to attend class? What if it’s 1,000? What happens when the first student dies? What if 100 die? What if one of them is the QB or the star bball player? I think it’s really easy to sit here and say “yeah sure people are gonna die but school has to start and we NEED to have college football in the fall”. What if one school can’t field a team one week if too many kids are sick? I think professionals can make their own decisions but it’s real difficult for an 18 or 19 year old to be able to evaluate the risk level. I guess I’m just not sure what people are ok with and less sure of what the college president wants to feel responsible for. For freshmen, what if you find out your roommate is from NYC or New Orleans? Are you going to feel real comfortable sharing a 12 x 12 enclosed space with this individual?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom