OT: Will the Yankees make the playoffs?

Will the Yankees make the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 77 66.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 33.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Whine on about Cole. It’s the umpiring and I’ve seen enough Yankee games to know how bad some umps are and it 95% or more favors the pitcher. Plenty of Yankee batters have been forced to swing at mostly outside pitches off the plate because of called strikes that are a few inches off the plate. But it affects both teams. A lot of umps think Judge’s knees are in the middle of his calves.
Not whining here. I'm a Yankees fan and Cole fan. And a fan of the umpire scorecards. I think those are more important than robo umpires. Keep the umps accountable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not whining here. I'm a Yankees fan and Cole fan. And a fan of the umpire scorecards. I think those are more important than robo umpires. Keep the umps accountable.
I don’t know if it’s because TV uses the strike zone box, but either umpires have always made too many bad calls on pitches and the box just emphasizes it or modern umps are way too erratic. It definitely favors pitchers. Pitchers are unlikely to stop throwing strikes because an ump incorrectly calls a ball. But batters have to adjust to swinging at balls, especially that are outside, because an ump has no clue about the outside corner. Pitchers love it.

Reaction Score
Umpiring is part of baseball that’s why. It’s baseball we want sensors and technology out there instead of what baseball has been forever? All part of the game no reason to change. They do have replay where needed that’s plenty. Just an old baseball guy who thinks it would be an awful change for America’s game. Simple!
I'm sure you remember tennis before the line camera too...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’m split on robo strike zone. Human error and subjectiveness is part of what makes sports exciting, in my opinion. A packed and hostile stadium booing the ump or ref (in basketball or football) even when the ump/ref made the right call is part of what creates a dynamic and exciting atmosphere. Robo umps would basically remove all of that from the game (since replay could challenge every other call besides ball and strikes). If we know machines are making the decisions, we lose that important human connection.

Just like in basketball, where there is a clear cut rule description of what constitutes a foul, travel, etc. turning that over to a computer to dictate would sterilize the sport in a bad way. The subjectiveness of GOOD refs or umps keeps the game from becoming a 2K simulation. A small degree of human error makes sports unique and exciting.

Example... Calhoun was a master of working refs on the sideline. It's part of what made him such a great coach. UConn, and all of us fans, benefitted from that. If you turn every call over to a computer you remove that part of the game and it changes the game (for the worse IMO). I bet Hurley would be far less entertaining to watch if he knew computers made every call on the court.

but if robo umps means the end for Angel Hernandez, I can get behind that…

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The rotation is still pretty suspect. Cole and Monty back helps, but we need German and Kluber (Sevy is definitely out for the rest of year after this latest MRI). We can't keep getting lucky with Gil because his minor league stats stink so eventually he'll get hit. And Heaney is the worst pitcher I have ever seen in my life, that guy doesn't even belong on a minor league roster he is so so so bad
Sweet Jesus.

Your post aged like a gallon of milk in July.

Heany was quite a prospect and was considered sleeper material this season.

Reaction Score
7 IP 2 H for Heany, one of those hits was a solo hr on an 0-2 pitch to Boegaerts, 108 pitches I might roll with him still until someone reaches go batter to batter.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Of course the Yankees will. The Sox will not. Incredible implosion since the break by the Sox. No leadership and lack of making any strong moves at the trading deadline seems to be doing them in.

Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus.

Heany is hot and cold. He was a good angel, but it was good Angels made the trade with Yankees for some prospects.

What a special night for Shohei Ohtani today against the Tigers.

• 8 IPs pitched, 8 Ks, 1 R on the mound
  • He also hit MLB bomb number 40 to 430 feet.
  • Regardless what Angels will do the rest of this season, it was such amazing season watching Ohtani.

Reaction Score
7 IP 2 H for Heany, one of those hits was a solo hr on an 0-2 pitch to Boegaerts, 108 pitches I might roll with him still until someone reaches go batter to batter.
That's an awesome outing for Heaney.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if it’s because TV uses the strike zone box, but either umpires have always made too many bad calls on pitches and the box just emphasizes it or modern umps are way too erratic. It definitely favors pitchers. Pitchers are unlikely to stop throwing strikes because an ump incorrectly calls a ball. But batters have to adjust to swinging at balls, especially that are outside, because an ump has no clue about the outside corner. Pitchers love it.
The strike zone on tv isn’t the umpires established strike zone that’s why the consistency score is somewhat more important in the umpire scorecards

Reaction Score
I'm sure you remember tennis before the line camera too...
Not remotely the same thing. Tennis lines are the exact same for everyone. Strike zone are slightly different for everyone because it’s knees to chest and the black to black of the plate.

you understand with robo umps there’s still an ump behind the plate they get buzzed strike or ball and there’s another ump in booth double checking. There is no need for this might as well have robot pitchers and fielding and hitters just use the statistical probability and simulate games

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The strike zone on tv isn’t the umpires established strike zone that’s why the consistency score is somewhat more important in the umpire scorecards
The strike zone id established by baseball rule. It’s pretty geometric. Umpires making up their own strike zone - and it much more often expands the zone and thus favors pitchers - makes the batter adjust to swinging at pitches they are trained not to (except Giancarlo Stanton who swings at every low outside slider 6 inches off the plate) and the adjustment sometimes is from at bat to at bat. Pretty hard to do, let alone from game to game. But it’s the obviously bad calls that really screw up the batter and often enough turns a potential 3-1 count into a 2-2 count. Can’t tell me those kinds of calls don’t help the pitcher, and sometimes squelch a potential rally.

Reaction Score
Not remotely the same thing. Tennis lines are the exact same for everyone. Strike zone are slightly different for everyone because it’s knees to chest and the black to black of the plate.

you understand with robo umps there’s still an ump behind the plate they get buzzed strike or ball and there’s another ump in booth double checking. There is no need for this might as well have robot pitchers and fielding and hitters just use the statistical probability and simulate games
The argument of robot pitchers is just so ridiculous I’m not going to respond.

But the strike zone is the same. Knees to shoulder. The plate doesn’t change.

You think technology that can drive a car, change lanes and avoid accidents can’t identify a shoulder or knee???

Reaction Score
As of today, Yankees would be hosting a playoff game. Red Sox and Mets outside looking in. 1 month ago that was flipped. Yankees are HOT.
The Mets are done. They are 5.5 games out of the Wild Card with 40 games left. They'd have to get super hot and I don't see it. No deGrom either.

Reaction Score
The strike zone id established by baseball rule. It’s pretty geometric. Umpires making up their own strike zone - and it much more often expands the zone and thus favors pitchers - makes the batter adjust to swinging at pitches they are trained not to (except Giancarlo Stanton who swings at every low outside slider 6 inches off the plate) and the adjustment sometimes is from at bat to at bat. Pretty hard to do, let alone from game to game. But it’s the obviously bad calls that really screw up the batter and often enough turns a potential 3-1 count into a 2-2 count. Can’t tell me those kinds of calls don’t help the pitcher, and sometimes squelch a potential rally.
This is definitely true in many cases. It affects pitchers as well. The one example thar I still remember clearly was the only bad outing game Ohtani pitched against the Yankees (I watch alot of Angels games) where he gave up 7 runs (3 of them was sent in by Sledger the bullpen pitcher who gave up the double in relief) in less than 2 innings. The ump at that game called several strikes balls when Ohtani started, and it really messed him up timing wise since those were amazing pitches that should have struck out the first batter. Had that batter got struck out, it might have been a completely different outing for Ohtani since he pitches by feel. I know there isn't any do over in baseball, but if we took out that game Ohtani's ERA right now would be close to 2 instead of 2.79 in AL. The ump defintely had a huge impact in that particular game based on his own zone vs. the actual zone.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Honestly think Angels was one of the few teams that agreed to let Ohtani pitch and hit. If Ohtani signed with the Yankees, I think they would have pushed him to be a pitcher or hitter but not both. Joe Maddon is managing Ohtani very well right now, and he is giving him plenty of opportunities to hit and pitch. Angels just need more talent around him since both Rendon and Trout have been on IL most of the season.

There are a ton of baseball talent in Asia. Teams should definitely bring more players from that region to grow the game more internationally. Ohtani alone has made baseball more popular this year.

the rules make it hard to.

unnecessarily complex from both sides

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This is definitely true in many cases. It affects pitchers as well. The one example thar I still remember clearly was the only bad outing game Ohtani pitched against the Yankees (I watch alot of Angels games) where he gave up 7 runs (3 of them was sent in by Sledger the bullpen pitcher who gave up the double in relief) in less than 2 innings. The ump at that game called several strikes balls when Ohtani started, and it really messed him up timing wise since those were amazing pitches that should have struck out the first batter. Had that batter got struck out, it might have been a completely different outing for Ohtani since he pitches by feel. I know there isn't any do over in baseball, but if we took out that game Ohtani's ERA right now would be close to 2 instead of 2.79 in AL. The ump defintely had a huge impact in that particular game based on his own zone vs. the actual zone.
Theres-no-crying-in-baseball.jpg

Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus.

As a Yanks fan I'm glad to be wrong. Looks like we may have struck gold with Gil being the next Severino. And Heaney pitched exceptionally well, credit to him. I still don't think he deserves a spot in the rotation over Gil or Nestor Cortes though

Reaction Score
As a Yanks fan I'm glad to be wrong. Looks like we may have struck gold with Gil being the next Severino. And Heaney pitched exceptionally well, credit to him. I still don't think he deserves a spot in the rotation over Gil or Nestor Cortes though

The rotation has been pretty solid all year and got screwed over by the lineup and the pen most of the season.

If we make the playoffs we got a solid 3 in Cole, Taillon and Montgomery.Just need that 4th guy amongst Kluber, Gil, German, Heaney and Cortes. You could put 2 of those guys in the pen on the playoff roster.

Reaction Score
The argument of robot pitchers is just so ridiculous I’m not going to respond.

But the strike zone is the same. Knees to shoulder. The plate doesn’t change.

You think technology that can drive a car, change lanes and avoid accidents can’t identify a shoulder or knee???

Knees to shoulder? If you give that zone to the robots its over. The pitchers will own the game because now the strike zone with some hardly elevate above the belt area. That's what's fun about the game, find out what you have to swing at during the game according to the patterns of the umpire back there. Hell I did that in HS, college and twilight leagues getting to know these guys day in day out. These guys know the tenedencies of the blue, swing the bat. Would kill the game with technology heading that far. Keep the umps back there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom