Will Missouri follow Texas A&M? (Article) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Missouri follow Texas A&M? (Article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The raid in 2003 was much bigger hit to the Big East than this one.

In 2003, you had a Louisville program that had recently scored a nationally-televised upset over Florida State in a monsoon, showing off a new football stadium, one of the largest schools in the country making a commitment to bigtime football in USF, and an underperforming program with a long history in a recruiting hotbed in Cincinnati.

Other than maybe UCF, there is nothing else on the landscape that is or could become anything close to any of the three of them. Nothing. There are not the options the Big East had in 2003. There's nowhere to take teams from that will keep the conference at even the minor level of national respectability it occasionally has. This is losing two cornerstones of the leagues from day 1/1982 who had also won NC's/major bowls/Heismans. This is 1000000x worse. You could swallow hard and try and replace Miami with another Schnellenburger project. There is no white horse here.

Selling companies isn't anything like this, and has not one damn thing to do with this. But the two things every company wants are (1) revenue guarantees in a marketplace and (2) overall stability. There is no plan you have offered that can do that for the Big East, and you haven't offered a plan because there isn't one. There isn't some magic idea that has only not come about because people haven't gotten on the same page.

If you sold a company on the remainders of the Big East instead of a move to the ACC/B12/SEC, then you would be failing your clients. You're selling them down the river.

Reaction Score
Gars, that's been my question, too. But at this point it's all moot because there isn't anyone calling UConn from the ACC that I know about!:)

Reaction Score
If Uconn and RU go to the ACC, FSU and Clemson will jump ship. What will that do to nACC football?

It would not be as good. But VT is better than anyone in the BE. Miami, if they avoid the death penalty, is almost always among the best programs. They have multiple national titles to their name. Georgia Tech was just in a BCS bowl. They're program is really good. West Virginia would be able to compete with those schools regularly. And that's about it.

Look, if I'm a university president, even if FSU and Clemson leave (I doubt these--if an ACC school leaves I'd bet VT), I'd rather my school be in the same conference, and thought of at the same time as:

Maryland
Duke
UNC
BC
GT
Syracuse
Pitt

Than:

ECU
UCF
Houston
TCU
WVU
That first group is the type of school we want to be--and have become to some extent (we're not Duke/UNC).

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Mike DeArmond (Kansas City Star) reports a Missouri Curators meeting next week likely to make the decision on the Big 12 media rights agreement

>> Can we expect at least some modicum of closure on the issue by the end of next week?
Wednesday September 28, 2011 12:06 Scott

2:08

Mike DeArmond:
I would not bet on that. I'll be writing more about why later in the day and I'm sure we'll keep you all updated at Kansascity.com on that. But it has to do with the state legislative session, among other things. What I see happening is an announcement at some point early next week perhaps that Missouri has authorized Deaton or another MU official to engage is talks with other conferences outside the big 12

Mike DeArmond:
What I feel, as long as we're talking about my personal opinion, is that a simple majority of the BOC is in favor of going. There is some resistence, and it seems to be primarily on two points: the economic impact of losing Big 12 Hoops Tournament in Kansas City by those folk and the size of an exit fee demanded by the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom