Will Michigan make a play for Hurley? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Michigan make a play for Hurley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think Michigan will swoop in a try and hire Hurley? Let’s face it, they have the money $$$ to make an offer that would be hard to refuse and UConn would not be able to match. After what Hurley has done for UConn Basketball I certainly could not be mad at him if he took the cash. Unfortunately, that’s life outside The power conferences. Teams from the power conferences can swoop in and take your best players and coaches in an instant. If I’m Michigan why wouldn’t you kick the tires.
I actually think Ollie could be in the mix here. Warde did give him the big contract and left before things went south. I think.

Reaction Score
This again? Paging @NJHoops. Supposedly he said it a long time ago. Before he was at UConn. Kind of like 25 year old me saying I wanted to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company one day.

Yeah, it was the conversations he had when he was at URI when he was getting linked to openings at St. John’s and Rutgers and countless other schools. There were only a handful of jobs he was willing to leave URI for. That’s when he brought up these schools.

But, what I think is being missed is not when the conversations happened but that he is literally currently at one of those jobs, so what are we even doing here with this talk? He’s not trying to collect different great jobs at this point. He’s got one, and he’s happy and comfortable.

This is a guy who turned down his first college head coaching offer and stayed coaching high school because it wasn’t the right time to make the move for family reasons. He’s not just looking for his next move and paycheck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley has made UConn into a well oiled machine. Michigan is where UConn was at the end of the Ollie era. I don't see Hurley wanting to start again. He has UConn poised for dynasty potential. With the amount of money he's pulled into the state, I can't envision a scenario where UConn/state of CT doesn't pull out all the stops.

Reaction Score
Hurley will certainly be on every big time athletic directors short list. But do you think a guy who is coming off a natty and is potentially the #1 overall seed is looking to make a move right now. He’s got his culture right where he wants it and I doubt he wants to give that up at this point

Reaction Score
I don't think he wants to go to a school with weak athletic director.

Or consider a move from a blue-blood basketball program to one that is merely famous for its football, hockey and vacating basketball wins under the play of the phab phive? Why attempt to rebuild yet again when you're on top? It seems he feel entrenched at UConn and a tremendous part of the overall culture started by Jim Calhoun.

And he knows he's the man here in CT since there is no major league professional team in the state that can compete. He's it and that has to feel good.

Reaction Score
He's said that he's not going to coach until he's an old man. Said he can't keep up the intense pace. Makes me think he'll do it as long as he can here, and then retire.

Reaction Score
Does anyone ever consider maybe he doesn't want to start from scratch again at 51? It took him 5/6 years to build the culture he wanted here and now he's at the absolute peak of his profession - you're going to scrap everything you built for another dice roll and an extra $5m/yr?

The "steal Danny" question always forgets that he's also extremely emotional and now has deep ties with Conn from taking them to the peak, watching his son play/graduate from here, and being driving distance from his true "home" (don't think Bob Sr. would be flying out to Michigan every weekend - he sure doesn't fly out for Bobby in AZ)

And finally, DH almost had a mental breakdown last January thinking he was going to be fired during our skid. The UM donors (or any major power donors) bring 1000x the scrutiny that ours bring. If he doesn't deliver them a ring in 3/4 years (given his past performance) they'd char-broil his seat immediately

Reaction Score
This is just a stupid question, never happening in a million years.

Seriously, if you posted this on a Michigan forum they would ridicule you.

Hurley is at a top job in the sport and he’s got the opportunity to cement the program as the “it” ball club of the decade and pursue HOF or GOAT status in the sport. He wouldn’t leave even if he didn’t have deep roots to the Big East and the region, which of course he has.

The only reason he would pick up the phone from Michigan would be to get a pay raise from UConn, which he would get.

Side note, our boys are defending National Champs and the best team in the country heading into the tournament and even still there are so many melts on this site. Man up and enjoy the ride!

Reaction Score
UM is a dumpster fire in the entire athletic dept, more and worse scandals on the way. Mark it down

Reaction Score
Is Michigan a bucket list/once in a lifetime destination? I don’t think so. Really only an opening at Duke comes to mind as a threat. Could be a situation along the lines of DeBoer for Alabama. Maybe the Celtics or Knicks if he wants to try for the NBA.
Not sure his high-energy Uber enthusiastic energy would play well with NBA guys.

Reaction Score
What a stupid thread. It’s interesting that Michigan fans know they have zero shot at Hurley but we’ve got people starting threats doing the “little engine that could” thing like it’s a foregone conclusion that Hurley would leave for a program that isn’t in the same stratosphere as ours.

Reaction Score
What a stupid thread. It’s interesting that Michigan fans know they have zero shot at Hurley but we’ve got people starting threats doing the “little engine that could” thing like it’s a foregone conclusion that Hurley would leave for a program that isn’t in the same stratosphere as ours.
We could win 30 national championships and some of our "fans" would still have an inferiority complex. I swear it's just a state of Connecticut thing.

Reaction Score
Why would Hurley even consider another team? I don't think money is enough.

Wherever he goes, he would have to rebuild the program. That's a lot of work.

Here, he's already established himself. He can build a dynasty here. He can have a Wooden like career with multiple titles.

That's much better than starting over. UConn is a blue blood and a destination job. He already has that.

$$$ won't pry him away. Now if the board, university or state burdens him with something, that's a whole nother story.

I think he's here to stay for a long time

rawImage.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He would never leave for another college.
I don’t know about never, but he’s not going to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Why would he go to a weaker program both now and historically. I would think think Kentucky, Kansas and Duke are the only programs where he‘d even take their phone call. Two old coaches and one not doing so hot. Still very unlikely.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
From a Michigan 247 staff writer:

“I'd have to sit and think more, but this is roughly how I would sort job prestige, in no particular order:

T1: Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas

T2: UConn, MSU, Louisville, Indiana, Purdue, UCLA(?), Arizona, Villanova, Gonzaga

T3: Syracuse, Maryland, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan, Arkansas, Tennessee, Oregon, Florida, probably a couple others

I think the top two tiers would be commonly agreed upon as the top 13 jobs in some order, but as the third tier shows, it gets very debatable from there. I don't think Michigan can say it tops that third tier, but I don't think any of those programs can say their job is significantly better than the U-M one, either. Just depends on what a given coach prefers. I guess I would slot them in the 16-20 range, but acknowledge that it's going to fluctuate annually more than the football rankings seem to.”

Reactions: PWS

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Do you think Michigan will swoop in a try and hire Hurley? Let’s face it, they have the money $$$ to make an offer that would be hard to refuse and UConn would not be able to match. After what Hurley has done for UConn Basketball I certainly could not be mad at him if he took the cash. Unfortunately, that’s life outside The power conferences. Teams from the power conferences can swoop in and take your best players and coaches in an instant. If I’m Michigan why wouldn’t you kick the tires.
If you're Michigan, and Michigan sounds like an autocorrect mistake for Michelin, then I'll think of you as a tire.

In that sense, yeah, I'd kick you.

Let some non-fan, program antagonist, or media whore chasing clicks or ad revenue ask such questions in a forum where we can more comfortably ignore it.

If you don't want the head coach to be distracted from his stated goals to win the East Regional and the National Championships, then stop contributing to the distracting energy, just because you're 'curious.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom