Will Jim Jabir get job offers to coach a bigger-time program? | The Boneyard

Will Jim Jabir get job offers to coach a bigger-time program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He's had a pretty good track record, pulled off the Bluegrass State double in the tourney en route to the regional finals, and coached his team to a first-half win over UConn. Pretty impressive stuff. Are any programs looking to hire, and do you think Jabir will get offered? And will he likely accept one? I'd give the guy a blank check if I were an athletic director...wouldn't I?

Reaction Score
He did say during his press conference that his phone has been blowing with recruits looking to play for him, or transfer, and that some recruits he hadn't heard from in 3 months were now calling him. Who knows, maybe a guy like that could build the next great program right where he is now.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I hope he stays. Somewhat like Geno, he recruits to his style and teaches them how to play basketball, not just look at coach and call a play each time down the court.

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Jabir seems like a grounded guy who know the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

He might gets offers but I think he stays at Dayton.

Reaction Score
That man will get a bigger job... What he did to us in the first half... He's getting offers from some bigger programs... His kids play hard and smart... He'll should get a pretty good offer... but he also looks like a guy that I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at Dayton... They need to pay the man though.. He deserves some sort of bonus....

HGN

Reaction Score
Any sane AD worth his salt with an opening will interview and offer Jabir the job. And its not just based upon his Dayton achievements. He has done well wherever he has been. He proved that his wins over Kentucky and Louisville was not luck or a fluke, but good , sound coaching. Though I think he stays at Dayton but I am sure he will take a look at any P-5 school that comes calling.

Reaction Score
Jabir seems like a grounded guy who know the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

He might gets offers but I think he stays at Dayton.
And in addition he will probably get a well-deserved pay raise.

Reaction Score
And in addition he will probably get a well-deserved pay raise.
Agree, maybe not in the $500,000 range Rutger's contract offers. At least the school should pay for the tattoo he is getting.
I like this guy's demeanor, cool as a cucumber, not shrieking or cursing like some other crazy coaches. If Geno can survive at a mid-major, AAC, why can't he stick around at a mid-major? Maybe next time he will not be in UConn's regional and advance further. His current team at least can beat Maryland/UT/Duke alike, definitely. Condition his team and his team can even run with UConn more than just 20 min.

Reaction Score
I don't see Coach Jabir as the type to jump ship. He's fully capable of creating a national power at Dayton. I say he stays, and he finishes the job. Congratulations to Coach Jabir and the Dayton Flyers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He seems like a loyal guy. I hope he stays and gets both a raise and good recruits. But he is losing Hoover and Mallott. They are hard to replace.

Reaction Score
I think he will get offers, but I don't think he'll leave. There was an article a year or two ago about how he had some health issues and the Dayton administration stuck by him. He said he loves it there. UD has always been a basketball school and they have a rabid fan base for the men and increasingly for the women as well. The local fans are very knowledgeable about basketball and even come out to support other men's college basketball teams, which is one of the reasons they hold the first four play-in games at UD Arena. They have nice facilities and it is a school with a real feeling of community. Jim has built that program into something special. I sure hope he stays - and that Archie Miller (the men's coach) does the same.

Reaction Score
I agree with the posters who wrote that they hope that he stays at Dayton and does everything in his power to capitalize on this year's success to improve the program even more. Still it would be nice if he got some offers and maybe an increase in salary or a bonus. His press conference was great, as were many of the others. He may have offered a clue as to his intentions when he said that he usually tells his recruiting prospects that Dayton has everything to offer that the bigger programs do: a good campus, good fans, good community, good facilities, good academics. If he really believes what he says then these are also good reasons for him to stay put.

Reaction Score
A lot of times coaches have every intention of staying put when the offers come - want to continue building what they started, their children would like to finish school where they are, etc, etc. Then, when the $$$ they are offered are order-of-magnitude more than their current school can/will pay, the life-changing aspects of that sink in ("Holy cr*p!") and they go.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A lot of times coaches have every intention of staying put when the offers come - want to continue building what they started, their children would like to finish school where they are, etc, etc. Then, when the $$$ they are offered are order-of-magnitude more than their current school can/will pay, the life-changing aspects of that sink in ("Holy cr*p!") and they go.
***cough, Randy Edsall***

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
***cough, Randy Edsall***

Yeah, especially when they throw in the opportunity to fly to your new gig on an Under Armour corporate jet!

Reaction Score
Right now, Jim Jabir is the only available coach I think that could realistically help Duke from day 1. The way he had his post players ready for Uconn post players was excellent to watch.. His entire team for the fact... It was good to see Tuck and Stewart in a battle all game. Morgan Tuck showed she is the best post player entering next season.

Reaction Score
I like his style. I hope that he stays at Dayton, and gets a nice pay raise to boot. Frankly, I think that his team this year could beat all but 1 of the final four participants. Yeah, I know. They lost 6 games during the season. But when it counted, his players, and he and his coaches, stepped up big time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I'm Jim Jabir and happy at Dayton, that's where I stay. He can have a long successful coaching career, annually making the Tournament and then occasionally making a deep run like this year and everyone in your immediate circle will be happy. He can still strive to win a National Championship just not with a bevy of Elite players. There's enough talent in the Ohio Area to be a highly successful Mid Major program. If he want's to go to a higher tier program, better make sure AD's are willing to make the resources are available, otherwise he's back into a Providence Situation.

As CD said, the Grass is not always Greener somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom