Will Akok ever be as good as his freshman year? | The Boneyard

Will Akok ever be as good as his freshman year?

Reaction Score
Imagine if we got a junior year Deandre Daniels type of season from him? I wouldn't bet against him, but I don't think we can depend on him right now. That injury likely derailed an NBA career for him though, he would have been so freaking good by now

Reaction Score
It's very possible but also not something Hurley should be depending on. I think a lot of his offensive hesitation is confidence-related from not seeing the court that much, but he needs to get the defense back to a level that keeps him on the court and able to get in that rhythm. Hopefully a full year removed from the injury, he gets to a better spot physically and can knock the rust off because Akok as a key rotational piece would be a huge help.

Reaction Score
He was never very skilled on offense. I don't think he's ever scored after dribbling in his career. The Achilles injury set back his athleticism and timing, which other than shooting from 3 were what he relied on to score and defend. Then he got banged up again last year.

Hurley put it well that he's at a crossroads. He can work on his game and his body to regain his athleticism and develop further skills, or he can continue not contributing.

Reaction Score
He was never very skilled on offense. I don't think he's ever scored after dribbling in his career. The Achilles injury set back his athleticism and timing, which other than shooting from 3 were what he relied on to score and defend. Then he got banged up again last year.

Hurley put it well that he's at a crossroads. He can work on his game and his body to regain his athleticism and develop further skills, or he can continue not contributing.
He is a roll player and needs to work on it to increase roll but I don't the skill to be a scorer or the ability to put the ball on the floor and create..

Reaction Score
I feel for him. He came to school early during a rough season to prepare for his freshman year. Then he finally gets on the court, shows a lot of talent, is a game changer with his shot blocking ability and probably thinks that he is a year away from being an nba first round pick. Then all of a sudden he suffers the worst basketball injury, especially for someone with his body type, and despite working his butt off, going through a couple years of the covid stuff and all of the isolation, and he was just about eliminated from UConn's rotation. I would be depressed too and sometimes he really looks that way.

Reaction Score
He has a distinct lack of lateral quickness for a guy with his frame. It makes it so he isn't a great matchup against smaller stretch 4 type players, and although he looks a lot bigger nowadays, he hasn't proven himself as far as being able to defend most Big East caliber centers. I'm hopeful we can see improvement there, but he's never been a very physical player. Unfortunately, I think that limits his strengths on the defensive end to almost exclusively blocks or getting hands in passing lanes.

On offense, he really only showed anything as a catch and shoot guy this season. I actually think if he wants to improve on offense, watching what Kalkbrenner did to us, specifically in the 2nd Creighton matchup, could help him a lot. Kalkbrenner set high screens and cut to the basket, absolutely punishing us for hedging. With Akok's ability to shoot, using him in pick-and-roll situations could get him some easy buckets rolling to the basket.

All that being said, I'm hopeful but not incredibly optimistic that we see contributions from Akok next year. I expect Samson and Karaban to both get some minutes at the 4, and there's always the option of us playing smaller with Jackson there too.

Reaction Score
The injury didn't help, but quite frankly a player with his profile and skill set just doesn't have much of a role, very much a tweener.

On offense, he can rim-run and shoot 3's reasonably well. But he's not a post-up guy. He's not a break-you-down-off-the-dribble guy. He doesn't offer much within the flow of the offense.

On defense, he's a great weak-side shot-blocker, but likewise, he's too skinny to defend bigs, and he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend guards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He hits the spot up 3, can get an offensive rebound put back occasionally and can run the court for points on a fast break. He can get a block on help defense and is acceptable on defensive rebounding.

He absolutely is not a threat off the dribble or with his back to the basket. Hasn't shown much passing ability. On defense he can get beat off the dribble or powered over in the post.

What's that mean? If he is back and fully healthy he's a 10-15 minute per game situational player. A rotation player if you will.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The injury didn't help, but quite frankly a player with his profile and skill set just doesn't have much of a role, very much a tweener.

On offense, he can rim-run and shoot 3's reasonably well. But he's not a post-up guy. He's not a break-you-down-off-the-dribble guy. He doesn't offer much within the flow of the offense.

On defense, he's a great weak-side shot-blocker, but likewise, he's too skinny to defend bigs, and he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend guards.
He hits the spot up 3, can get an offensive rebound put back occasionally and can run the court for points on a fast break. He can get a block on help defense and is acceptable on defensive rebounding.

He absolutely is not a threat off the dribble or with his back to the basket. Hasn't shown much passing ability. On defense he can get beat off the dribble or powered over in the post.

What's that mean? If he is back and fully healthy he's a 10-15 minute per game situational player. A rotation player if you will.

Dang. You beat me by a minute.

Reaction Score

it's worth watching his freshman year highlights again, because he shows a little more than many (including myself) remember. scores a couple of times off of the drive, dribbling in transition, and even in the middle of the zone. it's also pretty shocking how much skinnier he was back then.

who knows -- with a really good offseason and a little more freedom next year, he could have a great year. i know that no one wants to have to count on that happening, though. wish we had more of a sure thing.

Reaction Score
He looks great in the highlight reel but his freshman year stats weren't exactly impressive. In conference played 28 mpg and averaged 5/5/2 while shooting 35% from the field (17% from 3).

Reaction Score

No true. He had a sweet fake from three, drive and finger roll versus Xavier.

Reaction Score
He looks great in the highlight reel but his freshman year stats weren't exactly impressive. In conference played 28 mpg and averaged 5/5/2 while shooting 35% from the field (17% from 3).
His numbers were meh but his impact was unquestionable. Watch the first 10 minutes of the Indiana game at MSG & it’s pretty clear he is the best player on the floor.

Reaction Score
He was never good on offense. Extremely limited.

Defensively, he's dropped off a cliff after the injury. He was solid or better his freshman year. Idk if it's physical, mental, or both... but this needs to be a big off-season for him if he wants to be a steady contributor.

Reaction Score
I want him to do well. IDK but I think he lacks confidence once he is on the floor. He seemed to be having fun while playing his first year. Once the injury happened something happened to him psychologically. This year he was very robotic on the offensive end and timid on the defensive end. His shot has improved immensely. He could be a great threat on the offensive end but needs to be more confident. I would love to see him at the 4 IF he regains confidence. Maybe he should do some Zen sessions with DH.

Reaction Score
The easiest way for him to get more minutes is to bulk up so he can defend inside and offer more than weak side rim protection. I don’t anticipate him giving much to the offense, but without Whaley we’ll really need someone to step up defensively.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
He was an exciting player to watch as a frosh, but his offensive game was very limited. Great athlete, but hoop instincts were raw.

Akok can be a difference maker next year, especially with the 4-Out offensive scheme.

Akok will fit in perfectly as a stretch 4. He can match just about anyone's PF on the college level. Sanogo can provide post defense on any 5. He has a decent stroke from 3 -with continued improvement can be a starter for the Huskies next year. Danny can coach post D. Handle, passing & defensive fundamentals will improve with court time.

Reaction Score
I thought it might have made sense for both sides to move on, but looks he will be back. Will never fault a kid who sticks around and works hard, but he looks to be in a tough spot minutes wise with Hurley looking for more offensive skill around Sanogo. Being a similar type player to Samson who is much younger with more upside at this point isn't ideal for him either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom