Wide disparity exists in athletic department revenue of Big East schools | The Boneyard

Wide disparity exists in athletic department revenue of Big East schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The disparity between UConn and its nearest competitor is pretty stark. UConn can't do anything about its situation, but that shouldn't stop those who do pr for the department to keep on rattling the cages with this type of information.

UConn $64,000,000

USF $43,000,000
Memphis $42,000,000
UCF $38,000,000
Cincinatti $37,000,000
SDSU $37,000,000
SMU $37,000,000
ECU $34,000,000
Houston $33,000,000
Georgetown $32,000,000
St. John's $32,000,000
Temple $30,000,000

Boise State $28,000,000
Marquette $25,000,000
DePaul $24,000,000
Seton Hall $22,000,000
Providence $21,000,000
Tulane $21,000,000

Reaction Score
What happens after the new tv deal? I'd imagine our revenue goes down, as do revenues at Cinci and USF. Boise St, SDSU, ECU and especially Tulane, SMU and Houston will go up. The basketball onlies remain flat?

Reaction Score
Also, what's the difference between Cincy and Cincinatti? Should one of those be USF?

Reaction Score
Most likely just add $.01 to each school's revenue figure.

But seriously, I doubt it moves more than $4-6m for each fb school, maybe $7-9m all sports. Those are just my dart throwing guesstimate.

What happens after the new tv deal?

For UCF:

"The figures do not include university allocations such as student fees. With the projected revenue and UCF allocations, the overall athletics budget would jump from $37.49 million to $44.17 million during the Knights' first year in the Big East."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...cfaa-ucf-athletics-association-conference-usa

Reaction Score
When UL entered the BE, I believe their budget was in the $40M range. They increased it over time to over $80M+. UCONN is far away the biggest athletic department in the NBE and therefore we don't belong. However, I fully expect new schools to invest heavily into athletics once they are in the BE. They have no choice if they want to compete.

Reaction Score
If uconn was smart...hint hint...they will allocate some of the bb facility to ad revenues. Anyone with a pencil can increase the rev side by a few million easily for 5 years out. Ask texas,louisville and every other program does it. That, plus rev from the be tv deal, plus start up costs for the hockey jump should see uconn revenue close to $80m.

Reaction Score
When UL entered the BE, I believe their budget was in the $40M range. They increased it over time to over $80M+. UCONN is far away the biggest athletic department in the NBE and therefore we don't belong. However, I fully expect new schools to invest heavily into athletics once they are in the BE. They have no choice if they want to compete.

Except they didn't increase it. It's a steaming load of Stop.

The idea that UL's basketball team makes more revenue than any other BY FAR is so laughable, you can only get away with saying that in the media, because reporters have absolutely little to any research skills.

UL dumps all the revenue it can in the basketball ledger. Look at UConn's budget. All the contributions and licensing fall under AD revenue. Now, unless you honestly believe that UL somehow managed to increase contributions by 100+% in one season, you have to look at it with a suspicious eye.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Except they didn't increase it. It's a steaming load of bull****.

The idea that UL's basketball team makes more revenue than any other BY FAR is so laughable, you can only get away with saying that in the media, because reporters have absolutely little to any research skills.

UL dumps all the revenue it can in the basketball ledger. Look at UConn's budget. All the contributions and licensing fall under AD revenue. Now, unless you honestly believe that UL somehow managed to increase contributions by 100+% in one season, you have to look at it with a suspicious eye.
That's why I don't read the press anymore except my local news. I need to know who is banging who in my town. I come to the Boneyard to learn about life!

Reaction Score

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/543/millions-of-reasons-why-cardinals-top-cats

Need to start selling alcohol @ Gampel...;)

Reaction Score

A decent article. But the writer misses. First, total contributions for UL were reported at 14m. Not 20m, so where does he get that number? Second, the jump in contributions for the year ending 2011-2012 jumped from 14m to 29m. That's huge. How does that happen? I think I know. You raise private money to build facilities, but instead of keeping that money in an escrow account, you dump it into athletics. When it comes time to build the facilities, you bond it out from the academic side, while announcing to everyone you raised $50 million.

I admit, I'm guessing, but a 100%+ jump in contributions? Really?

Reaction Score
A decent article. But the writer misses. First, total contributions for UL were reported at 14m. Not 20m, so where does he get that number? Second, the jump in contributions for the year ending 2011-2012 jumped from 14m to 29m. That's huge. How does that happen? I think I know. You raise private money to build facilities, but instead of keeping that money in an escrow account, you dump it into athletics. When it comes time to build the facilities, you bond it out from the academic side, while announcing to everyone you raised $50 million.

I admit, I'm guessing, but a 100%+ jump in contributions? Really?

Lotsa bourbon...

I get what you are saying though...

Reaction Score
That's why I don't read the press anymore except my local news. I need to know who is banging who in my town. I come to the Boneyard to learn about life!

So you live in DC and like the Post, eh?

Reaction Score

This is why we need to do the same. All that crap about UCONN basketball only make $8M when we make more is downright stupid. UL makes a lot because they charge a lot for YUM center. However, they don't point out rent for YUM center is very high so they got no choice but to charge a lot. Their total profit isn't that great for huge amount of money they make.

UCONN basketball is profitable. We need to do what UL is doing with accounting to make those numbers seem more impressive. It is just another way to allocate some revenue recognized elsewhere to the basketball revenue. UCONN needs to start marketing this info to public or we gonna get misunderstood like this past ACC expansion.

Reaction Score
This is why we need to do the same. All that crap about UCONN basketball only make $8M when we make more is downright stupid. UL makes a lot because they charge a lot for YUM center. However, they don't point out rent for YUM center is very high so they got no choice but to charge a lot. Their total profit isn't that great for huge amount of money they make.

UCONN basketball is profitable. We need to do what UL is doing with accounting to make those numbers seem more impressive. It is just another way to allocate some revenue recognized elsewhere to the basketball revenue. UCONN needs to start marketing this info to public or we gonna get misunderstood like this past ACC expansion.

But, honestly, I'd be shocked if the very people manipulating these numbers in the ACC weren't already well aware of what Louisville is doing.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So you live in DC and like the Post, eh?

As far as the Press goes The Post never ever said anything good about Maryland in the last 10 years. Maryland would be in the C-USA if schools read the press and made decisions based on reporters

I look forward to reading the Post when they start with their "Daily Reason why the BiG humiliated itself by adding Maryland" column

Reaction Score
But, honestly, I'd be shocked if the very people manipulating these numbers in the ACC weren't already well aware of what Louisville is doing.

Exactly.

Reaction Score

Make a decision first and then find the facts to support it later. That's pretty much how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom