Why will the ACC fall apart? The UConn principle. | The Boneyard

Why will the ACC fall apart? The UConn principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn getting left behind is a warning to all the ACC schools. You can sit tight to see what will shakeout, or you can be proactive.

This is why Miami wants to move.

Most people realize there is nothing inherently different about UConn when compared to BC or Pitt or Syracuse or Louisville.

This is why schools with ADs and Presidents who know a little arithmetic realize it's better to be on the front wave of expansion than getting involved in a game of musical chairs. Miami realizes it can lose out, as it's competing against ALL the ACC schools except maybe BC and Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
That is an interesting principle. I think one aspect it overlooks is the level of apprehension each ACC teams currently feels regarding the ACC prospects. A school like Miami may take the best option out there to ensure its sustained conference security, but schools such as UNC, UVA or Gtech may believe the ACC is stable and have no fear of ever being left out. That being said all it takes is 1 school to buy into the "uconn principle" and that level of doubt may grow and grow.

I'm buying in.

Reaction Score
UConn getting left behind is a warning to all the ACC schools. You can sit tight to see what will shakeout, or you can be proactive.

Most people realize there is nothing inherently different about UConn when compared to BC or Pitt or Syracuse or Louisville.

This is why schools with ADs and Presidents who know a little arithmetic realize it's better to be on the front wave of expansion than getting involved in a game of musical chairs. Miami realizes it can lose out, as it's competing against ALL the ACC schools except maybe BC and Wake Forest.

Shalala wants out of the ACC? Did I misunderstand? Where do you get this info?

On an aside note, one of the biggest mistakes the University of Connecticut ever made, if you ask me, was for the leadership to allow Dick Blumenthal take on the leadership role in taking on the former two term Bill Clinton cabinet advisor that had just assumed the head leadership roles at the U. Shalala ate him for breakfast, and UConn is still paying the price, while Blumenthal managed to get a senate seat. (I didn't vote for him) Connecticut is sure an interesting state, to be able to have a guy like Blumenthal advance as far as he has.

Reaction Score
Report: TCU AD Links UM To Big XII Expansion

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Just as the rumors of Florida State openly flirting with the Big XII were starting to subside, Texas Christian University athletic director Chris Del Conte has fanned the flames and added two more schools to the list of schools looking at the Big XII.
During a morning speech on the campus of Texas Tech University, Del Conte said that the once left for dead Big XII Conference “now has schools like Florida State, Clemson, and Miami trying to get in,” according to redraidersports.com.
Del Conte also appeared on a sports talk radio show later and said, “Let’s not rush into anything. We know expansion has to happen. It may not be for a while. We are in the catbird seat right now,” according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
While Florida State’s interest in the Big XII has been public knowledge, Del Conte’s words were the first official confirmation on the record that FSU had looked to get into the Big XII. But the addition of Miami may catch Hurricanes fans off guard.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/23/report-tcu-ad-links-um-to-big-xii-expansion/

Reaction Score
upstater? bueller? I'm curious. to my knowledge, shalala's been rock solid with the ACC for a long time, but she's an old lady now, and the U is in trouble with the NCAA so who knows? Really wondering what made you right that Miami wants to move.

For those young uns around here, I'm not particularly found of Ms. Shalala, but it's nothing personal, I don't like the way she blackballed our university. But that doesn't mean I don't respect her. I also understand that my university brought it entirely upon ourselves by helping put Dick Blumenthal in charge of a lawsuit against the U and the ACC, and BC back in 2003.

The modern tricky dick was all too happy and motivated to take the point and go public with his lawsuit, to draw publicity just like he always did, with everythign he did, and actively, and strongly questioned Shalala's personal integrity in public in 2003. This ass hat, that actively lied about his service in Vietnam to promote himself, was actively knocking and questioning the integrity of a career politician and educator, through a large scale lawsuit - a woman who had worked in the white house as a presidential cabinet member for the past decade, and had worked under previous presidents as well, and actually - actually had a hell of a lot of integrity. She despised the pettiness and crap of Tranghese and the big east leadership. She called the negotiations and dealings that went on in that time some of the goofiest and strange political dealings she'd ever encountered. I have no reason to doubt her.

She was actually very clear and concise about her intentions with Miami all along. She wanted a travel arrangment that made better sense for the university, she wanted better security of cash revenue streams through athletics, and she wanted a confrence with better academic communication and academic partenrship within the conference. The ACC provided that. Miami was never a natural fit for the Big East, and the Big East, literally did nothing to help the situation.

Tranghese was pissed off in 2003, b/c he had put together a deal with Big East membership, which would have paid Miami I think $10 mill more than the Big East was revenue sharing agreement an for 5 years from 2003-2008 to keep them, but Shalala still was packing up and leaving. (Kind of similar to what Boise just did with the MWC)

Blumenthal went out and attacked her integrity, and Shalala said that Miami would never play a football game at Connecticut. I'm pretty sure that Big Jim's statement about never playing BC again, was sparked by that.

Reaction Score
Report: TCU AD Links UM To Big XII Expansion

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Just as the rumors of Florida State openly flirting with the Big XII were starting to subside, Texas Christian University athletic director Chris Del Conte has fanned the flames and added two more schools to the list of schools looking at the Big XII.
During a morning speech on the campus of Texas Tech University, Del Conte said that the once left for dead Big XII Conference “now has schools like Florida State, Clemson, and Miami trying to get in,” according to redraidersports.com.
Del Conte also appeared on a sports talk radio show later and said, “Let’s not rush into anything. We know expansion has to happen. It may not be for a while. We are in the catbird seat right now,” according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
While Florida State’s interest in the Big XII has been public knowledge, Del Conte’s words were the first official confirmation on the record that FSU had looked to get into the Big XII. But the addition of Miami may catch Hurricanes fans off guard.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/23/report-tcu-ad-links-um-to-big-xii-expansion/

That's almost a year old now.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I thought Del Conte said that back in the summer and it all cooled down - is there a more recent story on this?...

Reaction Score
I remember all the TCU athletic director mouthing off stuff. TCU was supposed to be a Big East member at one point not too distant!! LOL. It's hardly newsworthy at this point in time. A lot happened since then.

I was wondering what prompted upstater's statement. Seemed odd to me, because I have no reason whatsoever to think that Miami isn't solid with the ACC (unlike Maryland who was cutting athletic programs left and right and hemorrhaging money while trying to maintain eyeball level in debt - easy prey.....)

I don't think Miami is anywhere near in dire straits economically as Maryland was before jumping ship to the Big 10, but I don't know for sure.

I think Shalala's in her 70's now, at least, and the U is in trouble in many ways. I doubt she wants to leave it that way. Oh well, that's enough for me today. Peace out.

Reaction Score
I remember all the TCU athletic director mouthing off stuff. TCU was supposed to be a Big East member at one point not too distant!! LOL. It's hardly newsworthy at this point in time. A lot happened since then.

I was wondering what prompted upstater's statement. Seemed odd to me, because I have no reason whatsoever to think that Miami isn't solid with the ACC (unlike Maryland who was cutting athletic programs left and right and hemorrhaging money while trying to maintain eyeball level in debt - easy prey.....)

I don't think Miami is anywhere near in dire straits economically as Maryland was before jumping ship to the Big 10, but I don't know for sure.

I think Shalala's in her 70's now, at least, and the U is in trouble in many ways. I doubt she wants to leave it that way. Oh well, that's enough for me today. Peace out.

The only athletic department that is close to being as financially in trouble as Maryland is probably Rutgers. Miami's is not in bad shape.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
upstater? bueller? I'm curious. to my knowledge, shalala's been rock solid with the ACC for a long time, but she's an old lady now, and the U is in trouble with the NCAA so who knows? Really wondering what made you right that Miami wants to move.

For those young uns around here, I'm not particularly found of Ms. Shalala, but it's nothing personal, I don't like the way she blackballed our university. But that doesn't mean I don't respect her. I also understand that my university brought it entirely upon ourselves by helping put Dick Blumenthal in charge of a lawsuit against the U and the ACC, and BC back in 2003.

The modern tricky dick was all too happy and motivated to take the point and go public with his lawsuit, to draw publicity just like he always did, with everythign he did, and actively, and strongly questioned Shalala's personal integrity in public in 2003. This ass hat, that actively lied about his service in Vietnam to promote himself, was actively knocking and questioning the integrity of a career politician and educator, through a large scale lawsuit - a woman who had worked in the white house as a presidential cabinet member for the past decade, and had worked under previous presidents as well, and actually - actually had a hell of a lot of integrity. She despised the pettiness and crap of Tranghese and the big east leadership. She called the negotiations and dealings that went on in that time some of the goofiest and strange political dealings she'd ever encountered. I have no reason to doubt her.

She was actually very clear and concise about her intentions with Miami all along. She wanted a travel arrangment that made better sense for the university, she wanted better security of cash revenue streams through athletics, and she wanted a confrence with better academic communication and academic partenrship within the conference. The ACC provided that. Miami was never a natural fit for the Big East, and the Big East, literally did nothing to help the situation.

Tranghese was pissed off in 2003, b/c he had put together a deal with Big East membership, which would have paid Miami I think $10 mill more than the Big East was revenue sharing agreement an for 5 years from 2003-2008 to keep them, but Shalala still was packing up and leaving. (Kind of similar to what Boise just did with the MWC)

Blumenthal went out and attacked her integrity, and Shalala said that Miami would never play a football game at Connecticut. I'm pretty sure that Big Jim's statement about never playing BC again, was sparked by that.
Also Shalala gave a virtuoso performance as Jabba the Hut in Return of the Jedi.
th

Reaction Score
I really think the lesson here is that unless you are in the PAC, SEC or B-10 you always have to be on the lookout for your next opportunity. My view is that UConn let itself be satisfied in the Big East and let its allegiance to the basketball schools and the basketball program color its view. Instead of aggressively pushing to add football schools or find an alternative home, it took the view that all was well, while Syracuse, West Virginia and Pitt were always hunting for a new opportunity. UConn also, I think, wrongly assumed that having a national power basketball program would make it "valuable" to other conferences. It wasn't until the B-12 almost exploded and Kansas was nearly left in the dust that it dawned on people in the leadership in Storrs that basketball is desert, not a main course.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The ACC will get raided but a raid of 2 teams is still a problem. They could sit tight. Or if it involves Miami and Clemson choose to add USF and Cincy with UCF a back pocket play if FSU gets raided.

The ACC simply may not want to give up a seat in Florida given population projections and recruiting. The Florida University System can virtually guarantee the ACC cross-conference matchups with Florida State and the University of Florida .Miami would add (more like keep) the new ACC Florida Team(s) in the rotation.

Cincy is surrounded by 3 Ohio RayCom Affiliates. Ohio's a fertile recruiting locale and plenty of local games are there to be produced including Toledo, Ohio State, Xavier, Bolwing Green, Kent State, etc) All in Raycom markets and just waiting for ACC bookings with Duke or SU or Pitt etc.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One of the reasons that Houston, SMU and Tulsa all turned down the MWC could be that they think a massive raid of the ACC is imminent, and they will end up in the ACC when it is all said and done.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
One of the reasons that Houston, SMU and Tulsa all turned down the MWC could be that they think a massive raid of the ACC is imminent, and they will end up in the ACC when it is all said and done.

No.

They just believe that they will make more money in the Big East than in the Mountain West. And they're probably right. Especially now that Boise has worked its sweetheart deal, the other teams in the MW will likely make in between 1-2 million each, if I'm not mistaken. The Texas teams will likely double that in the Big East...

Reaction Score
UConn will be in its current lousy league or its slightly less lousy league with some of the ACC carcasses. Either way Rutty ended up better.

Reaction Score

On an aside note, one of the biggest mistakes the University of Connecticut ever made, if you ask me, was for the leadership to allow Dick Blumenthal take on the leadership role in taking on the former two term Bill Clinton cabinet advisor that had just assumed the head leadership roles at the U. Shalala ate him for breakfast, and UConn is still paying the price, while Blumenthal managed to get a senate seat. (I didn't vote for him) Connecticut is sure an interesting state, to be able to have a guy like Blumenthal advance as far as he has.
pedigree and a slick 'do can take you a long way in CT

Reaction Score
UConn will be in its current lousy league or its slightly less lousy league with some of the ACC carcasses. Either way Rutty ended up better.
If we end up in the ACC it won't be a lousy league with ACC carcasses. It will likely be a pretty good football league abou ton the level with the Big East as it existed a couple of seasons ago.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If we end up in the ACC it won't be a lousy league with ACC carcasses. It will likely be a pretty good football league abou ton the level with the Big East as it existed a couple of seasons ago.

That is the perverse joke right? Likely missing Miami and West Virginia and Rutgers replaced by Duke, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest?

Reaction Score

What in the past actions of the ACC has defined them as being passive when it comes expansion and/or protection of the league? They expanded first. When there were rumors of other leagues sniffing around a couple of its teams, it grabbed two of the next best available. They have always focused well on TV markets. Hell, like it or not, by grabbing ND, they disintegrated the only potential east coast BB league that did threaten ACC dominance. They now have a chance to dominate ESPN BB on the east coast with featured games 5 nights a week.

Miami wants to move? Good for them. Who is willing to take them right now with some potential serious sanctions hanging over their heads and a relatively piss poor FB showing the last 15 years. Shalala wanted out of the BE and into an equal revenue share conference because she and the trustees at the U wanted to de-emphasize football. They wanted to clean up the "thug" rep. She got what she wanted. The key teams from the ACC people want are UNC and FSU, maybe VaTech, not Miami.

Kind of like the mythical BE TV deals that was going to dwarf the ACC, your premise seems to be more wishful than real. I really do not see passive as a trademark of the ACC or its member schools.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 isn't sitting in the catbird seat and never was. In the pecking order they are number 3 behind the B1G and SEC. If I were them I would be proactive and go after the 4 or 6 schools they want, give them the sh#t or get off the pot ultimatum. Give FSU a choice to choose now or play the waiting game to go B1G or SEC. So far neither conference has shown interest in them. The one thing the ACC did well was to be aggressive (not sure they chose wisely) and not stand by.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Big 12 isn't sitting in the catbird seat and never was. In the pecking order they are number 3 behind the B1G and SEC. If I were them I would be proactive and go after the 4 or 6 schools they want, give them the sh#t or get off the pot ultimatum. Give FSU a choice to choose now or play the waiting game to go B1G or SEC. So far neither conference has shown interest in them. The one thing the ACC did well was to be aggressive (not sure they chose wisely) and not stand by.
Agree.

Reaction Score

What made me write that is that Miami is the Cuse of the south. Future uncertain.

Reaction Score
That is the perverse joke right? Likely missing Miami and West Virginia and Rutgers replaced by Duke, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest?

And why is UConn football above Duke, GTech and Wake Forest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom