Why We Are Better | The Boneyard

Why We Are Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Better than we were last year, better than Notre Dame.

Yes, yes I heard Auriemma's comments that did not compare the current make-up of this team favorably to last years. Auriemma often has an agenda that goes beyond the surface of his comments. More to the reason why I'm posting this, I've also seen the comments that if you replace Faris, Doty, Buck, Tuck and KML with Chong you're not going to be better.

I'll be a broken record on here and support my opinion with what I see from the STATS site. I'll admit we are better with KML than without her, but we seem to be do pretty well in many areas with or without her.

What some people ignore in the "swap for Chong" rationale is that returning players are supposed to get better, and obviously have at UConn. Thus we see, both from STATS and from our own eyes, that our offensive and defensive efficiencies have not taken a hit from last year. Meanwhile what has decidedly improved, both according to STATS and what should be obvious to anyone watching and paying attention, is our ballhandling and our miscues (meaning, there are fewer now).

Faris was sterling in these latter categories last year, but pales in comparison to Jefferson's and Hartley's handling of the ball this year. We simply control the ball better and make fewer mistakes than last year, a consequence of great returning players getting even better working together. Most notably, we were worse than Notre Dame in these categories last year, the reason why we lost close games to them; we are better than them in these same categories now.

As it stands today we are better than last year, we are better than Notre Dame, even without KML (though I admit having KML back will provide some extra comfort and increased likelihood of repeating as champions).

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I generally agree with your observations, but the countervailing consideration is that UConn's schedule this year (particularly in-conference) does not equate to its schedule last year. That somewhat undermines the value of both comparative statistics and eyeball-based observations.

Yes, Bria and Moriah (and also Kiah) are significantly better this year than they were last year, and Stewie is doing for a full season what she failed to do in her mid-season swoon last year. Brianna Banks is available for the end-of-season tournaments this year (we expect), which was not the case last year. But even if KML comes back (which I expect), because of fitness and conditioning issues due to her enforced idleness, she will not be the KML of last year. This season for her is like Bria's season last year -- never really physically in peak condition (except for about 32 minutes in the Stanford game).

Someone in another thread said that Morgan Tuck made a "minor contribution" (or words to that effect) last season -- I strongly disagree. The front court minutes that she was able to offer, covering for the foul trouble of other bigs with no loss of productivity, was a very important contribution to last year's success, and that will not be available this year.

Reaction Score
I didn't see UConn as "better than last year" in last night's game against shmoo. What I saw was a bunch of missed freebies, almost no 3pt-ers and many T.O.s. I thought that UConn was sleep walking through that game. OK, OK, they still won by a bunch and maybe that's why they were sleep walking. And then there was Bria and TBS...outstanding as usual.

UConn better wake up in the next two games, particularly the last against 'Ville or we will no longer be undefeated.

Reaction Score
I didn't see UConn as "better than last year" in last night's game against shmoo. What I saw was a bunch of missed freebies, almost no 3pt-ers and many T.O.s. I thought that UConn was sleep walking through that game. OK, OK, they still won by a bunch and maybe that's why they were sleep walking. And then there was Bria and TBS...outstanding as usual.

UConn better wake up in the next two games, particularly the last against 'Ville or we will no longer be undefeated.
"UConn better wake up in the next two games" Really? They aren't asleep and they just beat the 98th ranked team in the country by 33. This entire year has UConn ever had problems being awake against the 6 top 10 teams they have beaten handily? The answer is no and your sleepwalking comment is your own worry that is 100% unfounded and unsupported IMHO!

Reaction Score
"UConn better wake up in the next two games" Really? They aren't asleep and they just beat the 98th ranked team in the country by 33. This entire year has UConn ever had problems being awake against the 6 top 10 teams they have beaten handily? The answer is no and your sleepwalking comment is your own worry that is 100% unfounded and unsupported IMHO!
To be fair, the Yum! Center is not the same as Moody Coliseum.

Reaction Score
To be fair, the Yum! Center is not the same as Moody Coliseum.
I recall Stef saying her favorite places to play were Cameron Indoor and at Notre Dame. That tells me she isn't afraid of a hostile environment. Somehow I think that's also true of most other UConn players, particularly Bria, MoJet, and Breanna. They come alive and thrive on top competition.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Too bad they don't have more of it...but being so banged up, I sometimes think its a blessing in disguise. Hope we are ready for the Rugrats and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Too bad they don't have more of it...but being so banged up, I sometimes think its a blessing in disguise. Hope we are ready for the Rugrats and Louisville.
I think they'll handle Rutgers...assuming they can keep their emotions in check which can be tough on Senior Night even for this team. They beat Louisville by what 17 last time? Being a road game and not having Mosqueda-Lewis should help Louisville close the gap.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think they'll handle Rutgers...assuming they can keep their emotions in check which can be tough on Senior Night even for this team. They beat Louisville by what 17 last time? Being a road game and not having Mosqueda-Lewis should help Louisville close the gap.
Will Senior Night impact the Louisville players? That should help widen the gap.

Reaction Score
Will Senior Night impact the Louisville players? That should help widen the gap.
Oh yeah that's right they have theirs during the UConn game. Good. I like any advantage possible.

Reaction Score

Sorry, but I have to agree with the guy you disagree with. Husky mania aside, we will not beat the number two team if we miss shots like we did last night. We will be behind and have no experience digging out of a hole. We will have to get on top and maintain while pulling away. If that doesn't happen and we are missing shots like last night (not everyone missed shots) it's going to be tough.

ND is a good team. No doubt anymore. SC is a good team, no doubt anymore. Louisville maybe too. This powderpuff league is not doing us any favors. don't kid yourself. The one vote for ND this coach's poll was deserved.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I have to agree with the guy you disagree with. Husky mania aside, we will not beat the number two team if we miss shots like we did last night. We will be behind and have no experience digging out of a hole. We will have to get on top and maintain while pulling away. If that doesn't happen and we are missing shots like last night (not everyone missed shots) it's going to be tough.

ND is a good team. No doubt anymore. SC is a good team, no doubt anymore. Louisville maybe too. This powderpuff league is not doing us any favors. don't kid yourself. The one vote for ND this coach's poll was deserved.
Why will they be behind? Is it just possible that the best defense in the country would keep them in the lead?

And they shot 62% in the first half. Yes, only 2-10 on 3's.

Please explain why the one vote for ND was deserved when everyone else in both polls voted Uconn #1.

Yeah, all those teams are good. ND is really good. Just not as good as Uconn, no matter who Uconn has played or will play.

Reaction Score

'Ville struggled on the road against "Shmoo." It was a single digit lead deep in the second half. Based on respective performances in Dallas we have nothing to worry about in facing the Cardinals.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
We are totally doomed!!!!!

doomed-hoboken-business.jpg

Reaction Score
Stef was hobbled playing on 2 bad feet, Bria was better in the NCAA, but no-where near her All-American ways, Stewie was finding her MOJO, and Moriah, and Tuck were reserves. You lost Kelly, Doty, Tuck, get back a healthy Stef, and Bria. You have KML possibly at half speed, but you get Stewie who isn't letting the seniors go out losing, didn't let Kelly, Doty, and Buck leave without the championship, and won't let these Senios lose either. Then you also have to add the most improved player in America Moriah. Kiah ,Brianna, Chong will do their part.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Feeling much better about the mojo after reading this thread.

Reaction Score
Regarding the game against #2 - Maybe THEY will miss all THEIR shots.
Regarding the Louisville, Ky game - Oh, the Humidity!

Lol. You sound like you're from texas gulf coast (Oh, the Humidity!)!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Feeling much better about the mojo after reading this thread.
Let's face facts. Here on the BY it's a given.... For some, the opponent is always bigger, faster, stronger and deeper; have better shooters; are better coached and prepared; are less prone to turnovers; are better rebounders and less prone to fouling; "want it more"; and have 17 H.S. All-Americans who can easily put up 100+ pts. against UConn's crappy defense. At the end of the day, we have no chance. ;)

Reaction Score
Let's face facts. Here on the BY it's a given.... For some, the opponent is always bigger, faster, stronger and deeper; have better shooters; are better coached and prepared; are less prone to turnovers; are better rebounders and less prone to fouling; "want it more"; and have 17 H.S. All-Americans who can easily put up 100+ pts. against UConn's crappy defense. At the end of the day, we have no chance. ;)

That was mean. We are concerned citizens. :eek:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Loyd is a very good player. So is McBride. But can anyone seriously argue that they, as a backcourt, are better than MoJet and Bria? Achonwa has become a very good player. But can anyone seriously argue that she is better than, or even as good as, Stef? Braker is a decent player, but can you seriously compare her to TBS? That leaves a comparison of Allen and KML. No contest, even if KML is at 70%. So what about the bench? We have defensive demon Kiah, battle-proven and solid defensive player Banks and solid eighth player Chong. They have Reimer, Cable and Mabry. I think we compare very nicely. Muffet is an excellent coach, but Geno is the best. On the question of team defense, the Huskies are unquestionably superior.

In short, we have the advantage on talent, experience, and team defense. I like our chances. IF they can shoot 60+% on their threes, and IF a couple of our players get into early foul trouble, and IF a lot of rebounds just ricochet into their hands and IF we draw a set of zebras who are impressed by flops, they could win. Under normal conditions, we win by 12-15 points, maybe more.

One other thing; Our starting five, at least, are all “gamers”; they are at their best when faced with a serious challenge. Their play against Houston and SMU was not bad, but you could tell that they were just not at their highest level of concentration. If we do end up playing ND for the NC, they will be. I hope I get to see it.

Reaction Score
Loyd is a very good player. So is McBride. But can anyone seriously argue that they, as a backcourt, are better than MoJet and Bria? Achonwa has become a very good player. But can anyone seriously argue that she is better than, or even as good as, Stef? Braker is a decent player, but can you seriously compare her to TBS? That leaves a comparison of Allen and KML. No contest, even if KML is at 70%. So what about the bench? We have defensive demon Kiah, battle-proven and solid defensive player Banks and solid eighth player Chong. They have Reimer, Cable and Mabry. I think we compare very nicely. Muffet is an excellent coach, but Geno is the best. On the question of team defense, the Huskies are unquestionably superior.

In short, we have the advantage on talent, experience, and team defense. I like our chances. IF they can shoot 60+% on their threes, and IF a couple of our players get into early foul trouble, and IF a lot of rebounds just ricochet into their hands and IF we draw a set of zebras who are impressed by flops, they could win. Under normal conditions, we win by 12-15 points, maybe more.

One other thing; Our starting five, at least, are all “gamers”; they are at their best when faced with a serious challenge. Their play against Houston and SMU was not bad, but you could tell that they were just not at their highest level of concentration. If we do end up playing ND for the NC, they will be. I hope I get to see it.
Notre Dame has one chance to win, if Stewie is Kidnapped by Aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom