Why UConn is destined for the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://m.tallahassee.com/latest/article?a=2011110220319&f=1476

Emails outline why FSU president plans to keep Florida State in the ACC
By Ira Schoffel
Democrat sports editor

"In a lengthy response, Barron wrote that three primary factors would drive any FSU decisions regarding conference realignment: The academic standing of conferences, the potential for team success and the potential financial gains. "Academically, the ACC is far stronger than the SEC," Barron wrote to Bailey, while listing the rankings from U.S. News & World Report. "From an academic viewpoint, we are in a premier league academically and the SEC doesn't stack up."

"The next two teams should not be weak northern teams like UConn or Rutgers," Voigt [an FSU graduate who emailed Barron] wrote. "That would dilute the football quality even further, and that will hurt FSU."

Barron did not specifically mention either school in his reply, but he explained that the options are limited. He noted that the members of the SEC and Big Ten --two of the closest conferences geographically --appear to be firmly entrenched.

"That means that in reality, the only path to a (16-team) super conference, were that to happen, is the Big East and the Big 12," Barron wrote. "And, the only way to have it be meaningful is if it opens up TV markets that net the conference money. Combined, these two factors mean that there are really very few universities out there that can even be considered."

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We're their last resort! Yes!

We play FSU in men's and women's basketball, and their baseball team came up for a regional a few years ago. They know we are good at sports.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This just goes to show that the university presidents and ADs can see beyond the simple minded idiots who populate message boards.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This just goes to show that the university presidents and ADs can see beyond the simple minded idiots who populate message boards.

Not Susan Herbst, she's an idiot, too.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the facts that we're between NYC and Boston and we're a brand name are our biggest assets

that means money, even if we're mediocre in football

Reaction Score
Better to be the last kid picked in dodgeball than the kid stuck at home because he has allergies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We just have to figure out a way to convince them that they have to pay for it rather than just wait for UConn and Rutgers to fade to oblivion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Brilliant post!(sarcasm intended)

Wait, so you replied to sarcasm with sarcasm, but pointed out yours was sarcasm and yet missed the post you replied to was sarcastic?

Reaction Score
I don't know if we end up in the ACC, and right now not thrilled about the way they've gone about destroying the BE. One thing that doesn't help them is listening to the sour grapes gang at BC who wish to damage us out of fear or spite by waiting a year or more. That seems to be what BC wants. At this point I'd rather stick it to them by going to the B10, realizing that a move to the ACC would have made sense in many ways. If it doesn't it's a lose for them but hopefully not us.

Reaction Score
I don't know if we end up in the ACC, and right now not thrilled about the way they've gone about destroying the BE. One thing that doesn't help them is listening to the sour grapes gang at BC who wish to damage us out of fear or spite by waiting a year or more. That seems to be what BC wants. At this point I'd rather stick it to them by going to the B10, realizing that a move to the ACC would have made sense in many ways. If it doesn't it's a lose for them but hopefully not us.
I'm thinking 3 NCs (mbb, wbb, msoc) this year might turn some heads in our direction. It would make it even sweeter to beat an ACC team for the final in each.

Reaction Score
From the article:

Stephen Voigt, a Florida State graduate living in Sarasota, wrote to Barron that he was fine with the league and perfectly happy with the addition of Pitt and Syracuse. But with rumors swirling that the ACC might continue its expansion into the Northeast by plucking Rutgers and Connecticut, Voigt implored Barron to convince the league to look elsewhere.
"The next two teams should not be weak northern teams like UConn or Rutgers," Voigt wrote. "That would dilute the football quality even further, and that will hurt FSU."

ACC football schools want strong FB teams to be added so unless ND joins the ACC do not expect Rutgers or UConn anytime soon.

Reaction Score
From the article:

Stephen Voigt, a Florida State graduate living in Sarasota, wrote to Barron that he was fine with the league and perfectly happy with the addition of Pitt and Syracuse. But with rumors swirling that the ACC might continue its expansion into the Northeast by plucking Rutgers and Connecticut, Voigt implored Barron to convince the league to look elsewhere.
"The next two teams should not be weak northern teams like UConn or Rutgers," Voigt wrote. "That would dilute the football quality even further, and that will hurt FSU."

ACC football schools want strong FB teams to be added so unless ND joins the ACC do not expect Rutgers or UConn anytime soon.

That person is a fan, his opinion is worth as much as mine or yours

Reaction Score
That person is a fan, his opinion is worth as much as mine or yours

Exactly, beat me to it. The fans, and even many boosters, unless they are T-Bone Pickens-esque aren't getting a great deal of votes on who to add. Most of their opinions are so ill informed that they couldn't offer a valid perspective.

FSU fans should concern themselves with their teams own on the field performance before they start declaring other teams aren't worthy of being in the ACC. We've been to as many BCS bowl games as they have, and have the same BCS bowl record since we joined the Big East.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
From the article:

That was a fan. The FSU administrator spoke in favor of us due to our market and academics. He also sounded sure that the ACC will expand again...the ACC will not hold at 14 forever.

With that said, the ACC will be patient (as they should be) and kick the tires of Notre Dame and Penn State.

Reaction Score
As they say in the hood, reading is fundamental.

It was the email reply of the FSU president that is important. An alum emailed the FSU president asking him not to admit northern schools. The President of FSU said it was a matter of best available. Considering the empasis on US News rankings, by default only UConn, Rutgers and ND meet the criteria.

Unless you believe that the President of FSU doesn't have a say in the process, your post missed the import of the article.

Exactly, beat me to it. The fans, and even many boosters, unless they are T-Bone Pickens-esque aren't getting a great deal of votes on who to add. Most of their opinions are so ill informed that they couldn't offer a valid perspective.

FSU fans should concern themselves with their teams own on the field performance before they start declaring other teams aren't worthy of being in the ACC. We've been to as many BCS bowl games as they have, and have the same BCS bowl record since we joined the Big East.

Reaction Score
We've been to as many BCS bowl games as they have, and have the same BCS bowl record since we joined the Big East.

We may have been to a BCS bowl game more recently, but FSU played in the title game in 1999-2001, beating VT, and losing to Tennessee and Oklahoma.

They also played in a BCS game in 2003, 2004, and 2006.

They may only have one win total, but they've been there frequently.

Reaction Score
We may have been to a BCS bowl game more recently, but FSU played in the title game in 1999-2001, beating VT, and losing to Tennessee and Oklahoma.

They also played in a BCS game in 2003, 2004, and 2006.

They may only have one win total, but they've been there frequently.

Which is why I wrote that since UConn moved up into BE, FSU has played in 1 BCS bowl game, losing to PSU in the Orange in 2005 season ('06 on the calendar). We were 1AA the last time FSU played for a national title. So I agree with you that FSU was a dominant team 10+ years ago, and since we've upgraded to the Big East they've done as much as UConn has in that time frame with a SIGNIFICANT advantage in history and recruiting. I'm not claiming UConn is at the same level as FSU, my point is that FSU fans that are so opposed to "inferior" programs joining the ACC need to look in the mirror since FSU has not been blazing a trail of domination the past decade plus. I'll go as far as to say that , in my opinion, last year and even in 2009 we were as good if not better than FSU (this year, not so much).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
2009, yes...I think we were better than FSU. Last year, FSU was better than we were IMO.

Reaction Score

It was the email reply of the FSU president that is important. An alum emailed the FSU president asking him not to admit northern schools. The President of FSU said it was a matter of best available. Considering the empasis on US News rankings, by default only UConn, Rutgers and ND meet the criteria.

Unless you believe that the President of FSU doesn't have a say in the process, your post missed the import of the article.
You're right, reading is fundamental, reading comprehension is important too. Can you point out where I said the President of FSU doesn't have a say in the process? My post was in response to the FSU fans opinion, not to that of the President.

Reaction Score

The president of FSU currently has a lot on his plate that's totally unrelated to athletics. His governor is pushing legislation that will make the Prez's life a nightmare. He might very well be worried that jumping to the SEC presents his school with a coming double whammy. loss of reputation outside the world of athletics coupled with association with SEC schools. And that's not good for the school's bottom line.

Reaction Score
The president of FSU currently has a lot on his plate that's totally unrelated to athletics. His governor is pushing legislation that will make the Prez's life a nightmare. He might very well be worried that jumping to the SEC presents his school with a coming double whammy. loss of reputation outside the world of athletics coupled with association with SEC schools. And that's not good for the school's bottom line.
What scares me, and a lot of people say it's true, is that Swofford approached Jeff Hathaway many months ago about coming to the ACC and Hathaway gave him the brushoff and said "no thanks".

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What scares me, and a lot of people say it's true, is that Swofford approached Jeff Hathaway many months ago about coming to the ACC and Hathaway gave him the brushoff and said "no thanks".

Is that sourced? I'd love to know if that's true.

Reaction Score
Why do people keep thinking it was Hathaway's decision about going to the ACC?

If the ACC wanted us they'd to the president. End of story.

Tell me why I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01