Why UConn brought Tonya Cardoza back as an assistant coach | The Boneyard

Why UConn brought Tonya Cardoza back as an assistant coach

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I don't believe this has been posted. I did a search BEFORE posting this, it came back negative.

The Huskies' new assistant's return couldn't have come at a better time for the program.​

When the NCAA allowed women’s basketball teams to hire two additional assistant coaches, UConn went with a pair of familiar faces. Ben Kantor filled one spot, the team’s former director of video who stepped in as a temporary assistant during the 2021 NCAA Tournament when both Geno Auriemma and Shea Ralph were absent due to COVID-19. The other went to Tonya Cardoza, an assistant from 1994 until 2008, when she took over the head job at Temple. Even though she’d been away from the program for 15 years Cardoza stepped in like she hadn’t missed a day.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that with Tonya on the staff that UConn will have the best guard rotation in the Nation. She has already gotten most of the Freshman playing like they have been there for almost a whole season. They (the guards) also seem to be meshing as a unit that can have someone come in off the bench with little or no drop off. Can't wait till Nov 4th to see them in action against SCU.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Tonya will be an asset to the program. Her having a ton of experience in teaching basketball skills can't hurt. I think more importantly she'll be another voice to remind the team of what the expectations are for UConn players and what it takes to succeed.

Reaction Score

I don't believe this has been posted. I did a search BEFORE posting this, it came back negative.

The Huskies' new assistant's return couldn't have come at a better time for the program.​

When the NCAA allowed women’s basketball teams to hire two additional assistant coaches, UConn went with a pair of familiar faces. Ben Kantor filled one spot, the team’s former director of video who stepped in as a temporary assistant during the 2021 NCAA Tournament when both Geno Auriemma and Shea Ralph were absent due to COVID-19. The other went to Tonya Cardoza, an assistant from 1994 until 2008, when she took over the head job at Temple. Even though she’d been away from the program for 15 years Cardoza stepped in like she hadn’t missed a day.

Thanks--I'm not familiar with Ben Kantor, anything on him? Tonya a tough UVa player--teach tough and the game. Thanks again.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Tonya was also brought on to stay and help mentor an in coming future head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom