Why This Offense is Basketball Poetry by Hoopvision68 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why This Offense is Basketball Poetry by Hoopvision68

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's in here, but they had an article on UConn's "Chin" series (basically a pass, back screen, followed by a flare screen) which I really enjoyed. Kind of a modern throwback to the old Princeton Offense days.
BTW.. Talking CHIN early in his commentary

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My takeaway? Alex Karaban can never leave this program. Ever.

Ever.

Ever. Ever.

These wild days I’m sure we can find him 7 years of eligibility and NIL before he transitions to be our next Coach. Such a brilliant basketball player.

Reaction Score
Who is the assistant coach most involved in this offense?
I wonder if Bob Sr has some influence here. Whether in recent years or maybe during family dinner over many years.? There has to be some of this in the blood.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It must be hard to find recruits that are talented enough to be productive, unselfish enough to not demand more usage, and smart enough to run the plays. Won’t be surprised if we add veteran savvy portal guards every off season for that reason.

Reaction Score
It must be hard to find recruits that are talented enough to be productive, unselfish enough to not demand more usage, and smart enough to run the plays. Won’t be surprised if we add veteran savvy portal guards every off season for that reason.
I could see this being true. Not only do the players have to be skilled, but they have to be high IQ players that can run the offense and know it's nuances like a Tristen Newton, Alex Karaban, Jordan Hawkins, Andre Jackson, Cam Spencer, etc.

I remember in September Hurley when asked about Castle said something to the effect of, he is only doing okay because he is still learning the complexities of the offense. Well it looks like Castle has learned it well. But I can see other recruits not being able to pick it up.

Reaction Score
A warning note to the staff and players, even though I am sure they know this: teams know how potent UConn's offense is and will do everything to disrupt and make UConn "play in the mud". Opponents will do even more grabbing, pulling of jerseys, holding, tripping, flopping (Steven Ashworth on Clingan's 2nd foul call), and complaining to officials than before and will kick Jonathan the 15th, anything they think they can to disrupt UConn. UConn can't let that frustrate them as things won't always be pretty and free flowing like a smooth Hawaiian stream of water.

As Slick Rick was asked when playing a strong defensive team in the 2nd round in the NCAAT about how Louisville's offense wasn't smooth flowing in the game, "you can't let that frustrate you. You as a team have to play better defense than those defensive teams that like to junk up the game (i.e. Providence)". I am paraphrasing, but that was almost exactly what he said and I concur.

Note to Basketball Gods: Get Karaban his 3 point shot back.

Reaction Score
Dan is lucky to have Tom/Luke/Kimani on his bench-- For different reasons-Talented dudes.
A good leader picking smart people is a skill imo. We’re lucky they are still with us, but with all the press the offense is getting, I doubt they will all be here another season…unless it’s to thee peat

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And motivated enough to give it their all.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
What I find most amazing about it is that when a set play breaks down it takes about 1/2 second for them to react. It's like every potential breakdown on every one of their sets has been gone over, and every player knows exactly what to do when X problem or Y situation or whatever, arises.
This team is coached beyond anything I've seen. They all seem t know what to do and where to go following every reaction by the D.

Reaction Score
It was so interesting to watch last night's game after this breakdown.

One of the plays I appreciated was the post entry that we run for Clingan, not force-feeding passes from beyond the 3-point line, but off of motion, screening to get a passer (usually Karaban) open at like 18 feet, which gives a shorter pass, better angle, less time for the D to recover, and better positioning for Clingan to immediately turn and score than when we used to try to force-feed Sanogo with his back to the basket. This is next-level stuff.

Reaction Score
add having insane BBIQ to the list of things a player needs to fit into Hurley's program. it would have taken me a whole season to master a single 15 second play never mind the entire playbook. amazing.

Reaction Score
A warning note to the staff and players, even though I am sure they know this: teams know how potent UConn's offense is and will do everything to disrupt and make UConn "play in the mud". Opponents will do even more grabbing, pulling of jerseys, holding, tripping, flopping (Steven Ashworth on Clingan's 2nd foul call), and complaining to officials than before and will kick Jonathan the 15th, anything they think they can to disrupt UConn. UConn can't let that frustrate them as things won't always be pretty and free flowing like a smooth Hawaiian stream of water.

As Slick Rick was asked when playing a strong defensive team in the 2nd round in the NCAAT about how Louisville's offense wasn't smooth flowing in the game, "you can't let that frustrate you. You as a team have to play better defense than those defensive teams that like to junk up the game (i.e. Providence)". I am paraphrasing, but that was almost exactly what he said and I concur.

Note to Basketball Gods: Get Karaban his 3 point shot back.
They're already doing it or trying to do it. Blowing up the screening action and limiting Karaban and Spencer are keys. The coaches know it. Most of them don't have the personnel to teach it to or to run it.

Reaction Score
NBA teams could run this kind of stuff more often, but they often don't because they just don't need to. Because there's so much space on an NBA floor that spread pick and roll is just easy mode for NBA PG's.
While that’s true for stars like Luka who are premier PnR Ball handlers AND have great spacing, that’s not true for every team. Regular point guards like a Dlo benefit significantly from running organized offense because teams are able to help off the Lakers non shooters and Dlo isn’t as dynamic as Luka.

Another example is those Warriors teams. They wouldn’t just run Steph Draymond pnr all game. They’d run a ton of motion with Steph and Klay utilizing off ball screens to movement 3s, a lot like Hawkins last season.

Reaction Score
I find that the most impressive thing is how our players make it positionless. It’s one thing to know your role in a set as the 2 guard or center. But imagine having to know all those sets, but for multiple positions.

Guards alone there are times Steph, Newt, Cam, and Hass are interchangeable 1-3. AK has to know 4/5. Stewie 3/4. Solo 1-3 etc.

I agree with above poster that now I know some their sets better it’s fascinating to watch and rewind and rewatch.

Reaction Score
One great thing about this video. I have started to really watch motion by other teams. Last night Rutgers played Wisconsin. It was like the players were statues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom