Why The Selection Committee is a Joke | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Why The Selection Committee is a Joke

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Uconn heres your top overall seed with 4 top ten kp teams, 4 conference tourney winners and 2 final 4 teams from last season. Enjoy. No bias here. I will absolutely slap chop anyone in person that tells me there is no Uconn bias. Committee chairman said teams get put in brackets closest to their home. So i guess Durham is closer to Dallas than it is to brooklyn and Louisiana is closer to brooklyn than it is to Dallas. Duke shouldve been the 4 in the east. Recently I said Duke should be in the east but the committee wont let it happen as to not let Duke get embarrassed on national tv by Uconn so theyll get sent somewhere else. Like clockwork.
This. If they had kept Duke in the east half of the excuses are gone.

Doesn't matter, we'll take on anyone they put in front of us.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Broiled dog spit like Michigan State, A&M and Virginia are in the field but not PC, who has more high quality wins than any bubble team, or St. John’s?

The NCAA/P2 is abusing their product, and they will destroy it eventually.
I saw something yesterday individually showing the "defense" of each of the three schools you mentioned that made the tournament and compared that to Seton Hall, St John's and PC. Two of the BE schools bet the criteria of each of the schools that made it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Virginia and Mich St are easy to justify analytically, but just with different analytics (resume like SOR for VIrginia vs. predictive like KenPom for Mich St). The real issue is that the committee fluctuates between breaths of between wanting the most deserving and the strongest teams in the field and they are measured by different metrics and resumes.
They pick the criteria after the fact solely to be able say why the believe it was the right decision. They had these schools ahead of BE schools because they wanted them there. Once that was decided, the built a reason to justify it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I've said this before - taking March Madness away from the NCAA would kill it! There no reason why the elite college BB teams can't replicate what the football powers have done. Cut the NCAA out of March Madness and the NCAA will dry up and blow away...
This is kind of the goal but it is the all sports power conferences, not elite basketball schools who will do this.

Reaction Score
Interesting post that credits an obscure metric that may have been used by the committee. Rewards teams that didn't play tough competition:

Reaction Score
It's not obscure. It's been on the teamsheet for years, 1 of the 2 resume metrics alongside SOR. I posted about it a ton leading up to Selection Sunday. Here's what I said on Saturday and why I'm not surprised Big East teams didn't make the cut:
This is the best resource for the bubble because it contains all the metrics that are included on the teamsheet and their averages. Plus BracketMatrix projections and the quads. Colorado is percevied as autobid so they're not included here, but they're the missing 11 if you're looking for it (alongside Princeton and Drake also autos). Note again for people mentioning it, a team's own NET rating is meaningless. And at the cut line a team's resume metrics are more important. Check the supporting evidence if you don't believe me.

bubble.png

I've sorted it by resume blend, which has been proven to be the most predictive of bubble selection/inclusion in years past. Quality aka predictive or power ratings do matter, but just not quite as much. Unfortunately KPI is an influential metric for the bubble, and it's relatively down on the Big East this season.
Look at the average resume column. Oklahoma and Indiana St got bumped to FFO as well, but everyone after Michigan St missed the cut.

Reaction Score
It's not obscure. It's been on the teamsheet for years, 1 of the 2 resume metrics alongside SOR. I posted about it a ton leading up to Selection Sunday. Here's what I said on Saturday and why I'm not surprised Big East teams didn't make the cut:

Look at the average resume column. Oklahoma and Indiana St got bumped to FFO as well, but everyone after Michigan St missed the cut.
And Michigan State slaughtered Indiana State head to head, so even thought I don't think MSU should have gotten in, it wouldn't make sense to pick Indiana State without MSU.

Reaction Score

But it seems to disregard wins against top competition. Instead, look at the Q3 column.

You get a huge amount of credit for winning in that zone.

Reaction Score
Our bracket is such an unbelievable screw job that few people even bother to mention that if we don’t play Auburn in the Sweet 16, we’ll instead get to play a San Diego team that will want revenge after we beat them in last year’s national title game.

And even fewer people mention how BYU is really a 4 seed that got demoted to a 6 seed because of their no playing on Sunday rules.
We did get screwed but I'm not at all worried about these matchups. I think we'll have some early upsets and won't even get the matchups people are expecting.

Reaction Score
The committee has changing criteria every year and even often within the same year team by team. They don’t want to have general rules laid out so they won’t have to try and defend the indefensible. The one time they had no defense at all and couldn’t just jabber about some ridiculous reason was when they had BYU scheduled in a Sunday bracket game (if they got there with a win). They can’t make up some justification for that. And There is absolutely bias for certain teams and conferences.
I also think they set UConn up for the Third overall #1 this year and results be damned. If it was a team they favored they may have switched some matchups around.
In their defense it has to be very hard to get it right when surprise tourney winners come in on Sunday but that is their job. I also think they should have a fresh face come and look the brackets over. It takes no time at all for the after reveal show members to poke big holes in the bracket setups. They need someone not doing the brackets to look it over. I can imagine the committee getting into the weeds of the bracket keeping same conference teams from meeting and such and inadvertently making a switch that is plain stupid when looking at the big picture and balance of the brackets.
UConn did get screwed as did the teams that have to face them in the East. Hopefully UConn is ready for each challenge and repeats. No thanks to the committee.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
They did set us up initially as third and got very lazy as things fell out differently from what they expected.

The two play-in winners are facing either the second and fourth one seeds or the third and fourth one seeds.

It doesn't make a bit of difference who we play but this makes it very clear that they competed this far too early.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Our bracket is such an unbelievable screw job that few people even bother to mention that if we don’t play Auburn in the Sweet 16, we’ll instead get to play a San Diego team that will want revenge after we beat them in last year’s national title game.

And even fewer people mention how BYU is really a 4 seed that got demoted to a 6 seed because of their no playing on Sunday rules.
WHINE whine and whine
If UConn is the best team in the country. it's time to go out and prove it.
The only team that scares me is ISU and I said for everyone to look out for them in November 2023. Then people here crucified Houston for losing to a "lousy" ISU team. Houston then became soft to many. Both teams are very very well coached teams and neither one do I wish to see. UConn has the possibility of punching the team to me who is anywhere near UConn level - ISU.
Bring on all challengers - big boys don't cry and whine, they pull up their big boy pants and play whoever is on the opposing bench.
The way things shook out last year, UConn did not play any of the heavy weights due to upsets. Doesn't mean UConn didn't deserve to be NChamps. They played and beat everyone they faced. They have to do the same this year, but I feel it will be a tougher road, Thats why the St Johns and 1st half of the Marquette NBE Tournament games were important because they will be possibly playing tougher games this time around.
BTW - San Diego State is not the same compared to last season.
Auburn and ISU will be the toughest opponents in this bracket by far.

Reaction Score
WHINE whine and whine
If UConn is the best team in the country. it's time to go out and prove it.
The only team that scares me is ISU and I said for everyone to look out for them in November 2023. Then people here crucified Houston for losing to a "lousy" ISU team. Houston then became soft to many. Both teams are very very well coached teams and neither one do I wish to see. UConn has the possibility of punching the team to me who is anywhere near UConn level - ISU.
Bring on all challengers - big boys don't cry and whine, they pull up their big boy pants and play whoever is on the opposing bench.
The way things shook out last year, UConn did not play any of the heavy weights due to upsets. Doesn't mean UConn didn't deserve to be NChamps. They played and beat everyone they faced. They have to do the same this year, but I feel it will be a tougher road, Thats why the St Johns and 1st half of the Marquette NBE Tournament games were important because they will be possibly playing tougher games this time around.
BTW - San Diego State is not the same compared to last season.
Auburn and ISU will be the toughest opponents in this bracket by far.
I'm not scared of Iowa State. Beating the 15 seed would be their 3rd best OOC win.

They got Houston at home and then got a depleted team with no rest. They're good, but they aren't some monstrously good team like everyone is saying.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
St John's vs VA settles the debate

NCAA Net Rankings, their new metric
St John's 32
VA 54
St John's also ahead of most of the 6 bid MWC

KenPom
St John's 25 (the highest rated team omitted)
VA 69 (the lowest rated at large bid)
4 MWC teams rated significantly below St John's

And that's beating nerd talk at their game

Of course the chairman didn't cite anything, because they didn't cite anything. they played spin the bottle

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino suggests adding retired coaches to the selection committee for their expertise. Not a bad idea in theory if you can get the right guys, but then he suggests 3 ACC coaches: Boeheim, K, Williams. As if the UVA debacle wasn't bad enough.

Idiot Facepalm GIF

"On Tuesday, Pitino offered a suggestion that he believes would help enhance the quality of the selection committee. The 71-year-old took to social media to propose that a trio of legendary college basketball coaches join the ranks of the selection committee in order to offer a fresh perspective. Those coaches were none other than former Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, former Duke boss Mike Krzyzewski and ex-UNC coach Roy Williams.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/03/...uggestion-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee

Reaction Score
And what about the committee rep Bubba Cunningham from UNCheat. Sure, let's bring along UVA for a $ bonus and perhaps his fellow B1G portal transfer. That jerk-wad should be held accountable. He knew what a piece of crap UVA was yet he no doubt lobbied for them. What a complete failure.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nothing says the Selection Committee blew it quite like two 11 seeds (Oregon and New Mexico) being favored over their first round opponents.

Reaction Score
Bubba just came on CBS Sports and said that the committee does not have a set standard of metrics to base their selections and rankings on.

Each committee member is allowed to choose their selections for their own, completely biased reasons.

He can’t answer if # of Quad 1 wins vs. bad losses matters more. He said “I wish it was that simple and easy to do.”

Wow.
Yeah why is UConn a #1 seed? Over rated garbage

Reaction Score
so Seton Hall is only 1 of the 5 BE teams that won in the NIT first round
And they did so in OT at home against a team outside the top 100 of KenPom. But it's the NIT. Some of these teams were clearly in Cancun already.

Reaction Score
This. If they had kept Duke in the east half of the excuses are gone.

Doesn't matter, we'll take on anyone they put in front of us.
Call me crazy, but I'd rather play Auburn than Duke. Auburn is 3-7 in Q1 games while Duke is 5-4.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I'd rather play Auburn than Duke. Auburn is 3-7 in Q1 games while Duke is 5-4.
Duke got a lot of Q1 games being in the ACC.

Freakin Virginia finished 3rd in the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom