Why the American may be perfect for UConn. | The Boneyard

Why the American may be perfect for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's look at the future of college football. Next year the four team playoff begins.

Okay that's where reality ends and speculation begins in this post.

My guess, the ratings are through the roof, they dwarf the bowls. The playoff is expanded to eight teams by 2016. Once again the ratings are huge and the money is in the billions. It becomes sixteen teams by 2018.

The American should have an automatic bid to the expanded tourney (maybe even the eight team version). Or an undefeated or one loss American team will likely be invited.

UConn can compete for a title in the American much easier than in than versus Florida State of Ohio State. Our chances for making the tourney are much better in the American. The American gives us a much easier road to the tourney.

Then win four games and we're national champs. Done

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I hope they do expand it, but if I had to guess I would think it would take longer for the expansion to happen, maybe 2020, and it would only be by two teams at first (top two seeds get a bye). Main reason being, Orrin Hatch and what other handful of power players were implicitly backing legal action against the BCS have been more or less sidelined by the creation of the new system, where they have the contract bowls to placate the MWC, AAC, BYU/ND. That favors the new status quo... for the forseeable future. Still - just my guess.

Reaction Score
It would help with access, but how does it improve can flow? I can see the p5 sending 2-3 teams tho.

Reaction Score
The one thing that makes me chuckle about Syracuse or Rutgers fans talking about UConn being stuck in this conference, without an autobid (and not that I'm happy with it), but neither program will sniff being their conference's representative in the playoff for quite a while. They're not even close to being competitive with the top of those conferences.

Reaction Score
Once the playoffs are expanded to 8 teams, rest assured that the SEC, B1G, & PAC12 will demand 2 slots apiece be reserved for members of their respective conferences.

Reaction Score
Pal presents a plausible scenario but to make it work need to boost OOC strength of schedule. No more Stony Brooks/Villanovas IMO. That means more of the dreaded 1-aways people around here usually shoot down.

Reaction Score
Let's look at the future of college football. Next year the four team playoff begins.

Okay that's where reality ends and speculation begins in this post.

My guess, the ratings are through the roof, they dwarf the bowls. The playoff is expanded to eight teams by 2016. Once again the ratings are huge and the money is in the billions. It becomes sixteen teams by 2018.

The American should have an automatic bid to the expanded tourney (maybe even the eight team version). Or an undefeated or one loss American team will likely be invited.

UConn can compete for a title in the American much easier than in than versus Florida State of Ohio State. Our chances for making the tourney are much better in the American. The American gives us a much easier road to the tourney.

Then win four games and we're national champs. Done

Reaction Score
We would need at least a 16 team tournament. We'd have no chance of a spot at 8, unless there's a clause where the conference winner is undefeated and/or ranked in the top 10.

With only 8 spots, about half would be filled by the SEC/B!G. The rest by the Big 12/Pac 12/ACC/ND.

Reaction Score
Once the playoffs are expanded to 8 teams, rest assured that the SEC, B1G, & PAC12 will demand 2 slots apiece be reserved for members of their respective conferences.

Would they would consider eliminating their conference championship game and sending their divisional champs to the playoffs? That is what I would do, and send a wild card. Then the bowls are dead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Once the exit fee money is gone UConn will be an extreme competitive disadvantage. If we aren't in a P5 conference by 2018, it is unlikely that we be able to sustain a major college football program. Scary thought. In my opinion, particularly after the BD hire, we are doing things we should be to position ourselves for a move. Improved research and academics, better marketing for athletics and the university as a whole, etc. There's no way to tell if will be enough, so I try not to think about it and just enjoy what we've got right now. It will be what it will be.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The AAC's current money situation is not the long-term answer for UConn's long-term success. However, I do believe that it can serve us well in the short term. If our new coach can be successful against our AAC counterparts, and we continue to build excitement, fanbase, and bowl victories, our 5-year outlook is much better.

At that point in time, the conference will be renegotiating the tv contracts, and perhaps we will be negotiating our future elsewhere. But for the next 5 years, we certainly have a much better chance at growing our success in the AAC. It will be interesting to see what happens with if we start going 10-2 or 11-1 while Rutgers goes 2-10 or 1-11...

Reaction Score
The AAC's current money situation is not the long-term answer for UConn's long-term success. However, I do believe that it can serve us well in the short term. If our new coach can be successful against our AAC counterparts, and we continue to build excitement, fanbase, and bowl victories, our 5-year outlook is much better.

At that point in time, the conference will be renegotiating the tv contracts, and perhaps we will be negotiating our future elsewhere. But for the next 5 years, we certainly have a much better chance at growing our success in the AAC. It will be interesting to see what happens with if we start going 10-2 or 11-1 while Rutgers goes 2-10 or 1-11...
Very true. A winning program at a flagship U goes a long way in energizing the state fanbase. In the AAC or anywhere. It's the winning that gets it going. Losing in the B1G or the ACC is the same as losing in the AAC or the MAC. No one cares, no one comes to games, and program flatlines.

Reaction Score
If Bob D fields exciting teams, competitive with all AAC top rung programs, and the fans do their part in support by packing the stadium with loud & vocal enthusiasm, its possible that in a few years everyone's wish may be realized.

Given the opportunity, I think HCBD can fulfill his part of the equation for team building and promotion.......what concerns me is can the fans do their part without whining the first time there's an illegal procedure?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I can't envision any scenario involving 16 - purely based on the logistics of it all. My money would be on 6 or 8 teams being much, much more likely.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Given the consolidation of power in the top five conferences, it's a fantasy to believe that there will be an expansion of opportunity for the American.

2013 is the American's high point. There'll be less opportunity, less money and lesser bowls from this point onwards.

Reaction Score
Pal presents a plausible scenario but to make it work need to boost OOC strength of schedule. No more Stony Brooks/Villanovas IMO. That means more of the dreaded 1-aways people around here usually shoot down.
But Stoney Brook and Nova are better than UMass. UMass isn't the answer

Reaction Score

Going one step further, would like to see success with HCBD and as we near the 4th year of his current contract, moving to the B1G. Agree with you, your last statement, if UNJ goes 2 & 10 while we sit with sell outs at the Rent> Fanbase needs to get energized, including TV ratings in the New York City marketplace. TV sets and an energized fanbase matter.

Reaction Score
It will be virtually impossible to make the playoffs in the American. And if the playoff does expand to 8 teams, you'll see 5 automatic bids (if there are 5) and three at large bids. With the P5 conferences looking to starve the G5 of quality wins, it will still be virtually impossible to be ranked within the top 8.

The only razor-thin silver lining might be that the G5 is guaranteed one spot in an elite bowl. UConn only has to beat out a handful of teams likely to be ranked highest among the G5 conferences at the end of the season. In some respects, this makes our chances for an appearance in an elite bowl on par with Syracuse. Also, in a weird twist of cruel irony, if UCF and Cincinnati get an invite to the Big12 it makes it that much easier. Beating a ranked P5 team in an elite bowl will improve a team's prospects for an invite.

Obviously, the payout and competition of playing in a P5 conference would be the most fruitful option. But, I like the optimism expressed that a winning and exciting program does pay dividends. Just win and have fun and good things will come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be virtually impossible to make the playoffs in the American. And if the playoff does expand to 8 teams, you'll see 5 automatic bids (if there are 5) and three at large bids. With the P5 conference looking to starve the G5 of quality wins, it will still be virtually impossible to be ranked within the top 8.

The only razor-thin silver lining might be that the G5 is guaranteed one spot in an elite bowl. UConn only has to beat out a handful of teams likely to be ranked highest among the G5 conferences at the end of the season. In some respects, this makes our chances for an appearance in an elite bowl on par with Syracuse. Also, in a weird twist of cruel irony, if UCF and Cincinnati get an invite to the Big12 it makes it that much easier. Beating a ranked P5 team in an elite bowl will improve a team's prospects for an invite.

Obviously, the payout and competition of playing in a P5 conference would be the most fruitful option. But, I like the optimism expressed that a winning and exciting program does pay dividends. Just win and have fun and good things will come.

Great Read::: "Death To the BCS" by Weis and he makes great points for 16 team playoff. Would have to get past the current bowl set up and the $$$ and payoffs made. No lawsuits yet so read it. Calls for 10 team by FBS conference and 6 at large. {{{March madness in December....how awesome}}}}!!!!!
First round at the schools with the highest 8 seeds. (Money for the school). Use the remaining bowls thru New Years Day for the quarter and semi's. Also discusses the corruption at the bowls and the money kickbacks at the expense of the participant schools.

BTW....FCS expanded to 24 teams this year. NCAA needs to get the cujones' and administer the NCAA FBS Championship....... Bowls, TV, Conference commissioner stranglehold (Delaney and swofford) and $$$ is the problem.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
It will be virtually impossible to make the playoffs in the American. And if the playoff does expand to 8 teams, you'll see 5 automatic bids (if there are 5) and three at large bids. With the P5 conferences looking to starve the G5 of quality wins, it will still be virtually impossible to be ranked within the top 8.

This is why it is silly to trash Rutgers; because no matter what, they're in a conference that all they need to do is figure out how to win it one year and they're in the playoffs.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
We are beyond f-cked if we are still in the AAC in 2018. It will mean all that we are working on now to get in to a better conference will have failed. We should have AAU by then. We should be somewhat competitive after 3+ seasons with Diaco leading us by then. The campus population will be significantly larger. If this all works out and we can't find our way into a real conference, there's no hope. Considering how much has changed at UConn since I started just in 08, I have a feeling several large developments are going to be announced over the next few years that we haven't heard of yet. I could see a couple new dorms going up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom