Why the AAC is a dumpster fire | The Boneyard

Why the AAC is a dumpster fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
(I apologize in advance if I mess up any of the numbers here, but here's my rough sense...)

The Big10 is in the midst of a signing a media-rights agreement with Fox. In exchange for getting rights to half of the BiG 10 content, Fox will pay an estimated $250 million/year, or about $18 million per school. For half their rights.

The American FULL rights are $18 million PER YEAR or about $1.6 million per school.

There's no way UConn can keep up with schools that are pocketing an extra $35 million per year.

So savor the current run. Once Geno retires, UConn will have a tough time competing for coaches and players. :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
(I apologize in advance if I mess up any of the numbers here, but here's my rough sense...)

The Big10 is in the midst of a signing a media-rights agreement with Fox. In exchange for getting rights to half of the BiG 10 content, Fox will pay an estimated $250 million/year, or about $18 million per school. For half their rights.

The American FULL rights are $18 million PER YEAR or about $1.6 million per school.

There's no way UConn can keep up with schools that are pocketing an extra $35 million per year.

So savor the current run. Once Geno retires, UConn will have a tough time competing for coaches and players. :(

We couldn't bask in the after glow for a couple more weeks? :confused:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yet we continue to spend money on athletics that we don't have, like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

Reaction Score

Oh, I forgot: this doesn't include the revenue the schools get from the Big10 Network.

(Not to mention the revenue conferences get when teams go to bowl games, advance in the men's NCAA BB tourney, etc)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guessed I missed the gun being held to your head forcing you to read this thread.

That is your answer to every contrary opinion. If you don't want a reaction that might not kiss your fanny, don't post. Far as I know the 1st and 2d Amendments are alive and kicking on this board. You do post a lot that I have a favorable opinion of as you well know. Grow a tougher hide and leave that little editorial behind.

Reaction Score
That is your answer to every contrary opinion. If you don't want a reaction that might not kiss your fanny, don't post. Far as I know the 1st and 2d Amendments are alive and kicking on this board. You do post a lot that I have a favorable opinion of as you well know. Grow a tougher hide and leave that little editorial behind.

Horse Puckey. You are not disagreeing with the content of the post but whether or not it's ok to post it.

Reaction Score
Negative beliefs (e.g., "dumpster fire") based on fear help no one ... We do not know just what will happen within the AAC or a future UConn move to a different conference or not ...
Regardless, the work and approach of UConn coaches and teammates will continue unbroken ... This is my joy as a fan ... No matter what money and power plays go on in the background ... It is this new team, this new year, that I prefer to focus on ...

Reaction Score
Far as I know the 1st and 2d Amendments are alive and kicking on this board.

The 1st amendment was never alive on this board.

First, it applies to government intrusion on speech. There is no governmental involvement here.
Second, this is a private board with rules that we all accepted when we signed on. The moderators can and do regulate speech. Always have.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
The 1st amendment was never alive on this board.

First, it applies to government intrusion on speech. There is no governmental involvement here.
Second, this is a private board with rules that we all accepted when we signed on. The moderators can and do regulate speech. Always have.

For a second there I thought I was on the VolNation. Where has all the love gone?

No one likes being brought back to earth with a mighty thud, and how can you tell if you like a thread before you read it?

We need to keep some hope that UCONN can get into either the Big 12 or the B1G
or
hope that the AAC can grow like the old BigEast did
or
hope that at some point the collusion and blatant money grabbing of the NCAA and P5 will lead to some kind of anti-trust issue (or better yet racketeering :)
or
hope that some CT company decides to invest in the school like Nike did in Oregon

Reaction Score

Nothing new there... football is king. Big10 football is HUGE. Houston football is way better than UConn football right now and yet Houston is also stuck in the AAC.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Horse Puckey. You are not disagreeing with the content of the post but whether or not it's ok to post it.

Thanks you for telling me what I meant. And reminding me about Constitutional Rights not apply to a voluntary association that is in interstate commerce. I'm too lazy to research it.

Reaction Score
For a second there I thought I was on the VolNation. Where has all the love gone?

We need to keep some hope that UCONN can get into either the Big 12 or the B1G QUOTE]

Excuse my lack of expertise in this area but wouldn't the ACC be a more natural fit for UConn? I know they went through a recent expansion, does that preclude them from adding additional teams in the future? Is it simply that the other conferences you mentioned offer more long term financial possibilities?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Even if UConn were in the most embarrassingly wealthy conference, I would not allow myself any optimism about success post-Geno. Leadership changes in a basketball program are just way too impactful and unpredictable. No matter what happens, I will forever be grateful for the many, many years of outstanding basketball that I've been able to witness, and I will forever marvel at how UConn raised the sport to unprecedented heights, and redefined what women are capable of accomplishing through the sport.

Reaction Score

Why would someone with such a bitter message apologize for anything? Your keen sense of the obvious to slander the rest of us that YOU think don't get it? :confused::mad:
There are many things one could wish for but that would put one on your level so the kick in the crotch is out! :D Get back soon should you sit on a broken bottle the sympathy will be overwhelming! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do believe the moderators want a robust, communal discussion, just no false shouts of fire in a crowded theater or night club. The latter are not protected speech ... ooops, I slipped into that inappropriate constitutional free speech terminology. :oops:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yet we continue to spend money on athletics that we don't have, like a drunken sailor on shore leave.
UConn gets millions in free advertising from its teams. How often was UConn mentioned on TV in the last six months? Breanna was on Good Morning America and when ol' whatsisname made his tweet, UConn was all over the place in the national press. That's just the women's basketball program. When the men are successful, the effect is even greater and if/when the football team improves on a national scale - and the Huskies did beat a ranked team for the first time in years last season - the improvement in publicity will be exponential.

UConn Can Expect Bottom Line Boost from NCAA Finals, NBC Business News

There's also this:

Mike Enright, a spokesman for UConn, cautioned against comparing UConn's spending against the 234 other public universities with Division 1 sports teams.

"Every school does their budget differently. It's not as neat and clean as comparing one school to another," he said.

He said some schools don't include spending on intramural sports or student scholarships in the athletics budgets

UConn is aware of the widening gulf and is working on it. See this article.

Reaction Score
This is not directed at anyone in this thread.
But some people just can't handle bad news, can't separate the message from the messenger. There are positives and negatives in our future, short term and long term. Many cannot face or debate these without getting personal it seems.

Reaction Score
Plebe has this thing exactly right. We are all privileged to be aboard the train that is UConn WBB right now. When this is over in 5 or 10 years, we are going to look back on this and say "wow". Until then, ROCK AND ROLL.

Reaction Score

What you omit from your post is the rising cost of college sports, and mainly, the rising cost of maintaining a football program. Those costs are rising faster than the revenue increases you mention. At some point the hen will stop laying golden eggs.

Everything has a season. We are in the season of college football. Ten years ago everyone believed that real estate would rise forever. Things changed. I remember when pro boxing was on TV every Friday night. When a heavyweight title match was talked about like the Super Bowl. Things change.

Today we are told that the road to revenue resides in P5 membership, and requires a successful football program. It sure looks that way but there are a lot of things that can rerail that train.

Take a look at all those P5 schools that are chest-deep in football money and see how much of it makes it to the women's basketball program. Not as much as some would have us believe. Most of it is plowed right back into the football program. And like all bubbles at some point it will burst. Eventually, money corrupts. And fans grow tired. All it will take is for someone to get killed on the football field. Or some zealot with a bomb. Or any number of other things.

As long as UConn has a coaching staff that prepares elite players for the pros better than anyone else, high school girls will sign up. No amount of money can do for another school what goes on at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom