Why Tenn is having problems recruiting and rebuilding. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why Tenn is having problems recruiting and rebuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kibby, the closet TN fan. Tony, yu have me laughing with that one.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tony what are your thoughts about this years class? The players about to play their first game for Tennessee.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kibby, the closet TN fan. Tony, yu have me laughing with that one.
I think he was talking to Justavisitor, though that might be the only thing that made any sense. I think Tony might be riding the storm out with a nice bottle of Chianti. :cool:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The TN "system" was PHS. Now that she's gone, what do they have?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think he was talking to Justavisitor, though that might be the only thing that made any sense. I think Tony might be riding the storm out with a nice bottle of Chianti. :cool:

I know but the juxtaposition made it funny.

Reaction Score
After exhaustive analysis, I've determined that Tennessee's main problem is recruiting - the tendency to recruit players prone to injury. If not injured on the court, they find some other means to accomplish the task.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
After exhaustive analysis, I've determined that Tennessee's main problem is recruiting - the tendency to recruit players prone to injury. If not injured on the court, they find some other means to accomplish the task.
Tell me about it. TN players don't just get injured on the court but car accidents and even candle accidents. Hope both teams and women's basketball in general have far less accidents!

Reaction Score
Tell me about it. TN players don't just get injured on the court but car accidents and even candle accidents. Hope both teams and women's basketball in general have far less accidents!

It all starts with their "clumsy" coach (Holly Warlick) who suffered an injury requiring surgery while exiting a plane! It's hard to do the "Tenn Two-Step" when you have two left feet!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Meyers Ole Grand Dad and Makers Mark. Also have some Peroni Beer. The storm is pretty bad, and I cant play golf so Im home.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I posted about a week ago that this obsession with Tennessee is just ridiculous. We don't play them (their choice), they are not in our league (literally and figuratively), they are going through a difficult transition at both the AD and wcbb levels.
Kib, we are just going to have to agree to agree on this point ;-)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It all starts with their "clumsy" coach (Holly Warlick) who suffered an injury requiring surgery while exiting a plane! It's hard to do the "Tenn Two-Step" when you have two left feet!
That's Tennessee Waltz.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... juxtaposition... funny.

??? Guess I’m not the only one studying the Kama Sutra during this storm – unfortunately, my Classics Illustrated Comics version seems to omit any good stuff.:(

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony what are your thoughts about this years class? The players about to play their first game for Tennessee.

Swainfan Tenn has picked up some talented players in this years class. Andraya Carter is a pg, and Bashaara Graves plays F/C. Both have talent and potential to be very good. Just like most freshman we will know about them in the second half of the season. Nia Moore a 6-3 post and Jasmine Jones a 6-2 forward I dont know alot about. This season is all about next season for Tenn. What I mean by that is Holly must establish herself as the coach in charge and get out from under Pats shaddow. She needs to instill disipline and confidence in her team. This is Her Team.

Tenn is a very young team with only 2 seniors in Taber and Kamiko. Holly will have to get the freshman minutes to get them ready to step in next season. IMO this season is all about building a team, getting them Hollys Identity and a team that can grow beginning next season. If I were coaching Tenn I would start rebuilding this season. Do I want to win this season yes. But its more important to lay the I groundwork for the future of this club.

What I would do is get the freshman time and with all the talented guards at Tenn I would start building chemistry by identifing floor leaders. Ariel and Andraya would be my future guards. Graves could be the star of the team in the near future. If I were coaching I would have a run and gun offense trying to outscore my opponets while putting alot of pressure on the ball. Disipline is something that will be second to attitude. Holly must show she is in charge and will show no mercy when getting her club to do what she wants them to do. My lineup would be

Massingale
Simmons
Spani
Harrison
Burdick

That lineup has underclassman experience and is what I would build with. Carter and Graves would get alot of playtime. They are the future. Jones Moore Phillips and Williams would get playtime as the coaches see them develop. This season is all about preparing for the next season and future seasons.

The keys for the future would be to get a good post player. Tenn has talent at the guards and wings. They also have good depth at those positions. Harrison can play the post but needs experience and backup help.

Now its about allowing the guards to control the game and see which guards can control the game and build the chemistry. When Tenn needs a basket its not give the ball and let her shoot it, its about executing a play that will get someone open by getting everybody involved. Its not about one on one scoring for Tenn its about decision making which should be made by the guards who are respondsible for setting up and running plays. When a play breaks down its about the guards making something happen.

This season should also be about pressure defense. With the lack of depth in post play, Tenn will have to pressure the ball and has the roster to be able to do that. Where they fall short is when they play a team with big players. I dont think Tenn has the experience yet to play againest big players, that will come in another season or two.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think with this class has a lot of potential. This team will have a up tempo style. Key for this year is staying healthy.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think with this class has a lot of potential. This team will have a up tempo style. Key for this year is staying healthy.

Graves looked every bit the explosive rebounder she's supposed to be when I watched her in the Team USA games. Very strong around the basket. She had as advantage there against anybody her size that I have seen. Tuck is more polished with a lot of moves and a crafty way of finding gaps that makes up for what she probably lost with the knee. Also I have consistently seen a lot of natural leadership qualities with Tuck. I think the LVs will need to lean pretty heavily on Graves to battle on the boards considering the talent that's been lost. Burdick seems more like an in/out player who can score but not the pure force that Graves is.

The Maryland and UK games will both be interesting for the Orange this season....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers Ole Grand Dad and Makers Mark. Also have some Peroni Beer. The storm is pretty bad, and I cant play golf so Im home.
:)
May I recommend:

mirrored_c7f15217dd054b87db1fa78567d90faa.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

P.S. Where is Catchings playing this winter? Lots of changes with the economic situation over there. Tina is in the Polish league this year. Maya's over in China. Looks like UMMC will be loaded with CP3, Bird and DT.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
P.S. Where is Catchings playing this winter? Lots of changes with the economic situation over there. Tina is in the Polish league this year. Maya's over in China. Looks like UMMC will be loaded with CP3, Bird and DT.
I haven't heard yet about Catchings.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Graves looked every bit the explosive rebounder she's supposed to be when I watched her in the Team USA games. Very strong around the basket. She had as advantage there against anybody her size that I have seen. Tuck is more polished with a lot of moves and a crafty way of finding gaps that makes up for what she probably lost with the knee. Also I have consistently seen a lot of natural leadership qualities with Tuck. I think the LVs will need to lean pretty heavily on Graves to battle on the boards considering the talent that's been lost. Burdick seems more like an in/out player who can score but not the pure force that Graves is.

The Maryland and UK games will both be interesting for the Orange this season....
Don't forget about Jones. I heard she has been impressive.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Potential takes time to develop. With such an inexperienced roster, they will need to grow up quickly to have a good year.

They HAVE to have an uptempo style. They can't play the shoot and rebound style of the past. Yet, that is much of what Warlick said and pretty much only knows. It's been the mainstay of Summitt's teams forever.

The key for every team is to stay healthy. But Tennessee has lots of other keys.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Potential takes time to develop. With such an inexperienced roster, they will need to grow up quickly to have a good year.

They HAVE to have an uptempo style. They can't play the shoot and rebound style of the past. Yet, that is much of what Warlick said and pretty much only knows. It's been the mainstay of Summitt's teams forever.
This maybe one of the fastest teams Tenn has had. Go back to when Cain was there. Unless she was feeling good she had trouble at fast pace. We know Simmons is fast. These new players add to overall speed.

The key for every team is to stay healthy. But Tennessee has lots of other keys.

U

UCONNfan1

Don't forget about Jones. I heard she has been impressive.
Yeah, and Heather Buck's been a beast all pre-season. Not for nuthin', but I'll believe all that when I see it. :) Tennessee's problem the last few years (well they had many) was that in crunch time, they had no real identity or consistent lineup.

Geno's always keen on saying "I know what i'm going to get from ______ (insert name)". He loves being able to rely on players and know exactly what he can expect from them in most any situation or circumstance. But preseason practices are generally filled with lots of praise for the players. We will see when push comes to shove who gets to play on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom