Why not UConn to Big XII? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why not UConn to Big XII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You kids are whistling past the graveyard.

An imaginary bidding war isn't going to keep the Big 12 away - it's geography and the perception of our football program that will keep the Big 12 from considering UConn. (Even when we were decent, Oklahoma was officially pissy about having to play us in the Fiesta Bowl.)

The wrong conference might be expanding. The 'right' conferences are not expanding.

We should be used to this by now. And even worse, if the Big 12 selects the right combination of schools, ESPN can whack the television contract way back.
I'm prepared for it, I just don't believe it. People that believe we are going somewhere better based on UConn's body of work are no more delusional than people that don't believe it based on previous rounds of realignment. Our profile, on paper, is very strong. Negativity, is powerful and toxic. You never see the fans of other schools act as negative or resigned to doom as UConn fans. Belief in a positive outcome matters. It trickles into the mainstream media and it helps perception. It shows that the resolve of our fan base is strong and will endure. That adds value.

I like the move we made in hockey, Delany's proclaimed eastern focus and Herbst's relentless pursuit of overall excellence. We deserve better and I think we'll get it. I think it will happen within 2-3 years only because letting us die on the vine isn't good for the Big Ten. If we are left for 5+ years, we are done and I don't want to be believe that is our future. It may be, but I'd rather not expect it. I don't believe we have more than 4 or so years to escape before all of our accomplishments are for naught.
If we know one way or the other it will be clearly evident within 2 to 3 years.
Football will be the key indicator.
We will not be in the AAC the next contract.
You heard it here first.
Does that mean we will be in a P5 conference ?
No
It means we will either be in a P5 conference or give up the Dream that we actually will ever be competitive in that sport.
We may actually have a better chance of being an associate member of the the ACC or B1G without football. We are much more attractive and significantly cheaper without that sport. Especially if you have a network.
We bring blue blood basketball programs
A rising hockey program in a hot recruiting are.
Plus successfull programs in other sports
That's incredible content without the embarrassment and bloated expense of football.
Most B1G fans would welcome us with open arms under those conditions and our expenses would be significantly reduced.

Reaction Score
One scenario that does not get a lot of play but i've heard is that fla. st. has had serious dialog with the Big 10. Some have suggested that the b12 didn't move on Cincy and another school earlier due to the Acc reaching out to expand sooner than anticipated, ie the preventive backfill. Time will tell, but there are many who think the Big 10 is looking down south.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are a long shot in the immediate future. Chances improve slightly in the long term, maybe more significantly if the football team is actually good. Let's be honest, if UConn ever gets to the Big Ten it'll be way longer than 2 years. It's good to have hope but if you believe the BXII wouldn't take UCF over UConn, or that UConn will definitely be in the B1G in 2 years, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The fanbase has to mentally prepare for the long haul.
employee-performance-review-not-listening.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're worried we'll detect your guilt?
There's no detecting about it, we know he's guilty. Just remember to fake it during jury selection.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01