Why ND ain't going to the ACC | The Boneyard

Why ND ain't going to the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, the ACC offers some advantages -- better chances to keep revenue, and more East coast destinations that have lots of alums and Catholics.

But ACC has one very huge negative:
Boston College

I don't see ND ever agreeing to being on equal footing with another Catholic. Part of the Irish identity is being the preeminent Catholic university in the country.

Reaction Score
Then go to the Big 12. Who cares. Just open the door for us to go to the ACC! (Or B1G.)

Reaction Score
How does ND entering the ACC as a special member, that will keep its own home TV revenue and not have to play a full football schedule, put it on an equivalent footing with BCU? And, by your logic, why would Georgetown, which also might be the preeminent Catholic university in the country, allow itself to be in the same conference as local schools like St Johns, Providence and Seton Hall.

With all due respect (ruh roh -- no one ever says something good from there), I don't view that fear as meaningful.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame >>>>>> Boston College, not matter what conference BC or ND plays in. That will never change.

Reaction Score
All due respect, but I don't think your hypothesis is even close to being correct. They don't care about "another Catholic institution."

They want to keep their current gig. Bottom line.

Reaction Score
And, by your logic, why would Georgetown, which also might be the preeminent Catholic university in the country, .

Did I say that ALL Catholic schools felt this way? No.

I said Notre Dame does.
ND, more than any other school, identifies itself as "America's Catholic University". I'm skeptical they'd allow anything to infringe on that brand.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy -

I disagree with you. ND was already in a conference with BC and many other Catholic schools. ND dos not view BC as a threat at all. If they did, why play them in football? In addition, ND's hockey team just joined BC's hockey league.

End of the day, ACC makes more sense for ND than Big 12, Big 10, or the future Big East.

Reaction Score
The incestuous nature of the entire Notre Dame community both academic and administrative and the island that they exist upon out in South Bend forbids any type of critical thinking with regards to any decsions regarding the University and its position relative to the expansion split issue. To say that they are Catholic has aleays amused me. More like a cult of Catholicsm. There may not be another university in America whose faculty, top administration and faculty all drink the same cool-aid. Why because a large percentage of the faculty and about 90% of the administration are all ND grads.

When they eventualy wake up to the fact that most of the subway alumni fan base is over 60 and that the genaral failure of the football team over the last 20 years as caused a significant erosion of young fans that they will never see wearing blue and Gold they may begin to deal with reality. Until then they will posture and bully has if frank Leahy was on the sidelines.

The real failure here is that the incompetency of both Tranghese and Marinatto never allowed them to be called on it.

Reaction Score

I said Notre Dame does.
ND, more than any other school, identifies itself as "America's Catholic University". I'm skeptical they'd allow anything to infringe on that brand.
Wouldn't Catholic University be America's Catholic University?? ;)

Reaction Score

I said Notre Dame does.
Sorry Vowel Guy, but I had to laugh at your statement. Totally understand what you are saying, but I actually am an alumni of The Catholic University of America (Washington, DC). Not sure if many people know of this small school.

Reaction Score
How does ND entering the ACC as a special member, that will keep its own home TV revenue and not have to play a full football schedule, put it on an equivalent footing with BCU? And, by your logic, why would Georgetown, which also might be the preeminent Catholic university in the country, allow itself to be in the same conference as local schools like St Johns, Providence and Seton Hall.

With all due respect (ruh roh -- no one ever says something good from there), I don't view that fear as meaningful.

and also currently all in a conference with ND, not to mention Marquette and DePaul.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't being in the same league as BC offer them the opportunity to prove they ARE the preeminent Catholic university? They already play most years, so how does being in a conference all of a sudden change that when it basically doesn't increase the amount of times they play? And as was mentioned, they just moved their hockey team into a league where BC has been the most consistently dominant team for the past 10 years or so.

Reaction Score

I said Notre Dame does.

I disagree that ND has this image, nor do they pursue it. Since you put it in quotes, perhaps you can share where ND positions themselves in this way. You might be suprised to learn that while ND requires two courses in theology to graduate, neither course is required to be in Catholicism

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think the original post is anywhere in the neighborhood of reality.

Reaction Score
and not to stir the pot but if they were truly America's Catholic University, all due respect Marblehead, they would not of had a pro-choice president do their commencement in 2009. just sayin'.

Reaction Score
vowelguy is correct in some regard. ND does consider BC to be inferior. Testament to this is the fact as part of their regular series, ND demanded a "2 and 1" arrangement whereby for every 2 games in South Bend, 1 was played in Chestnut Hill. Drove the BC people nuts.

Reaction Score
vowelguy is correct in some regard. ND does consider BC to be inferior. Testament to this is the fact as part of their regular series, ND demanded a "2 and 1" arrangement whereby for every 2 games in South Bend, 1 was played in Chestnut Hill. Drove the BC people nuts.

Well except they pretty much try to do that to everyone.

Reaction Score

They finish a 12 year deal in 2012, 6 in south bend and 6 in chestnut hill. They signed another 6 year deal that starts in 2014.

Notre Dame and Boston College won't end the "Holy War" just yet.
The schools have agreed to extend their rivalry until at least 2019, the Boston Herald reported on Tuesday.
The matchup was scheduled to end this fall, but six games have been added to the rivalry. Boston College will host the game Oct. 2 and then three new games in 2012, 2015 and 2019.
The game will be played in South Bend, Ind., in 2011, 2016 and 2018.
"[ND athletic director] Jack Swarbrick and I agreed that since Boston College and Notre Dame are the only Catholic institutions that play Division 1-A football, we should continue to play each other over a period of years," BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo said, according to the Herald.

Reaction Score
I don't think the original post is anywhere in the neighborhood of reality.

Reality lives just down the street on the right. I still have his weed-whacker in fact. His neighborhood BBQs usually suck though.

Reaction Score
I don't pay much attention to any scenario that has ND joining a conference in FB. It will never happen. Their FB independence is part of their identity. The alumni - both actual and subway alumni won't have it. I am disgusted though how they use it as leverage to manipulate conferences.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The biggest problem with the theory in the opening post is that is assumes NC St is currently on equal footing with UNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom