Why is USF in our bracket? | The Boneyard

Why is USF in our bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USF gave us the closest game (other than Stanford) this year. Does the committee want to make sure one of us doesn't get to the FF?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Um, even the most paranoid committee-hating weirdomaniac has to absolutely love USF's position. They were given a gift, as a 6-seed hosting with booted-from-home Louisville in the place where the FF is going to be played. Bulls' fans should be pumped, and the Cards fans have a lot to be disgruntled about, but hey, now that they have run off to the ACC they can see that the committee has as little love for them as ever.

If the Bulls take homecourt advantage and then kock off KY (definite possibility) then we can start talking about the AAC getting the Cards treatment. But all in all, very nice.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Why is Chatanooga not only in the LV's bracket but gets them in the second game? :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Zorro said:
Why is Chatanooga not only in the LV's bracket but gets them in the second game? :rolleyes:

Or Syracuse and South Carolina

Just don't get it

Reaction Score
Um, even the most paranoid committee-hating weirdomaniac has to absolutely love USF's position. They were given a gift, as a 6-seed hosting with booted-from-home Louisville in the place where the FF is going to be played. Bulls' fans should be pumped, and the Cards fans have a lot to be disgruntled about, but hey, now that they have run off to the ACC they can see that the committee has as little love for them as ever.

If the Bulls take homecourt advantage and then kock off KY (definite possibility) then we can start talking about the AAC getting the Cards treatment. But all in all, very nice.
But USF would have a great chance at FF in any other bracket.

Reaction Score
The reason USF is in our part of the bracket is to ensure no more than one AAC team can participate in the final 4. If by some chance USF made it to the final 4, from another region, the Power 5 and NCAA would have looked very stupid. As it stands now, they are just plain old stupid.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
USF is in that spot where the losses don't look bad but the wins don't look great. Their good wins are Oklahoma and Chattanooga. Then 3 over a bubble team in Tulane. Not enough to get you the top 4 seed that guarantees UCONN avoidance.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The reason USF is in our part of the bracket is to ensure no more than one AAC team can participate in the final 4. If by some chance USF made it to the final 4, from another region, the Power 5 and NCAA would have looked very stupid. As it stands now, they are just plain old stupid.

USF wasnt getting to the final 4 no matter what bracket they were placed in. They get to host as a #6 seed.... they should be happy about that.

Reaction Score

The Power 5 conferences are on a mission to take over all of college sports. Any momentum the AAC is trying to get to survive is going to be attempted to be stifled. 2 sure fire men's teams from the league were denied the chance to even compete, SMU last year and Temple this year. All of the men's teams were under seeded and stacked in the same region last season.

And I'm sure USF, if they beat Louisville, are thrilled with the task of facing UConn again as opposed to say South Carolina or Maryland. Just thrilled. USF earned the right to host the second their bid was approved. To act like they were given a favor by hosting is disengenuous.

I have no idea if USF loses to LSU or makes it to the Elite 8. If a league is fighting for survival and your putting it's 2 top teams in the same region after meeting 3 times it's either very lazy or deliberate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Someone get its.

Reaction Score
USF is in that spot where the losses don't look bad but the wins don't look great. Their good wins are Oklahoma and Chattanooga. Then 3 over a bubble team in Tulane. Not enough to get you the top 4 seed that guarantees UCONN avoidance.
Your answer isn't particularly responsive to the question. Guaranteed UConn avoidance has nothing to do with why two teams from the same conference end up in the same region. USF didn't need guaranteed avoidance to be placed in a different region than a conference mate they've already faced 3 times when only 3 conference teams made the tourney. Pretty easy to send them to different regions or put then second and third best teams in the same region away from the best, or the first and third best together but away from the second best. Why put the two best in the same region. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy to eliminate AAC teams earlier than necessary but if there were, this is the way to do it.

Reaction Score
The Power 5 conferences are on a mission to take over all of college sports. Any momentum the AAC is trying to get to survive is going to be attempted to be stifled. 2 sure fire men's teams from the league were denied the chance to even compete, SMU last year and Temple this year. All of the men's teams were under seeded and stacked in the same region last season.

And I'm sure USF, if they beat Louisville, are thrilled with the task of facing UConn again as opposed to say South Carolina or Maryland. Just thrilled. USF earned the right to host the second their bid was approved. To act like they were given a favor by hosting is disengenuous.

I have no idea if USF loses to LSU or makes it to the Elite 8. If a league is fighting for survival and your putting it's 2 top teams in the same region after meeting 3 times it's either very lazy or deliberate.
If this conference's hope to survive rests on women's basketball we're in trouble.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If this conference's hope to survive rests on women's basketball we're in trouble.
Right, but you obviously mean that any chance of survival depends on field hockey, and we (UConn and the AAC) have got that nailed down too.

Reaction Score
Really? This is just paranoia. No, USF does not have a "great chance" to get to the FF. #6 seeds get to the FF once in a pink and blue moon. It does allow them a solid chance of getting to the S16, maybe even the E8, which would be really cool.

Yeah where they would have to face their conference foe they faced 3 times already and happens to be a dynasty that has made the Final 4 7 straight years.

Geno disagrees with you not surprisingly.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah where they would have to face their conference foe they faced 3 times already and happens to be a dynasty that has made the Final 4 7 straight years.

Geno disagrees with you not surprisingly.
Um, so when does Geno play against #6 seeds in the E8? Shall we say never? But do grumple on because I'm sure someone needs to counteract the pure joy that Jose is feeling with his lot.

Geno spouts off about many things including how Stewie doesn't have a clue about how to play defense, and you are free to believe them if you are in that state of metal impairment.

Reaction Score
Um, so when does Geno play against #6 seeds in the E8? Shall we say never? But do grumple on because I'm sure someone needs to counteract the pure joy that Jose is feeling with his lot.

Geno spouts off about many things including how Stewie doesn't have a clue about how to play defense, and you are free to believe them if you are in that state of metal impairment.

Wow. You seem really sure of yourself on that.

They faced #6 seed Arizona State in the Elite 8 in Trenton in 2009. Not that long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Women's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Geno is in a state of mental impairment because he thinks it's silly to have the 2 best teams from the conference in the same region? Ok.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Your answer isn't particularly responsive to the question. Guaranteed UConn avoidance has nothing to do with why two teams from the same conference end up in the same region. USF didn't need guaranteed avoidance to be placed in a different region than a conference mate they've already faced 3 times when only 3 conference teams made the tourney. Pretty easy to send them to different regions or put then second and third best teams in the same region away from the best, or the first and third best together but away from the second best. Why put the two best in the same region. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy to eliminate AAC teams earlier than necessary but if there were, this is the way to do it.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that the committee doesn't place top four seeds from the same conference in the same region. Hence, the way to make sure to avoid the big bully from your conference is to get a top-4 seed.

There are so many things to consider in bracketing and I just don't know that keeping a 6-seed away from a 1-seed they share a conference with is a priority or if it even registers. 6-seeds have played 1-seeds 6 times since 1993. By my math, that's about 7% of the time.

If USF works well in Albany for other reasons (and I'm not sure if does or doesn't), I wouldn't worry about a 7% chance if I'm on the committee. Now, I like USF and think they're more likely than the average 6 seed to make the elite 8. Just saying that 1-6 matchups likely aren't high on the list of the committee's concerns.

Besides, they were busy botching bigger things...like Princeton's seed.

Reaction Score

We have a lot of paranoid committee hating weirdomaniac's that are trolling the board tonight. I can't fathom why you think this is some good thing. USF had a chance to help the AAC show that there are some pretty darn good teams here other than UConn and make some noise in another bracket. They didn't necessarily need some home court advantage to get through the first two rounds. Instead, assuming the world doesn't end and UConn dispatches them for the 3rd time when they meet again, USF will have gotten little or no respect and people will poo poo the first two rounds as simply a mediocre team having home court advantage. Everyone loses with that. How you can construe that as a good thing is totally beyond me.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the EXTREMELY unlikely event that UConn and USF meet in the Elite 8 game, that will be a huge coup for the AAC. It would mean that two of the last eight teams in the tournament are from that minor, disrespected conference. The 6-seed from that conference would have had to beat two teams from the SEC including the 3rd best team in that conference, and also the 3rd best team in the ACC, to get there. After that feat, no reasonable person could disrespect the AAC, at least in women's basketball.

But of course there is only a tiny chance (1% or less) that a fourth Huskies - Bulls meeting will occur. That is why this whole subject is a tempest in a teapot.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In the EXTREMELY unlikely event that UConn and USF meet in the Elite 8 game, that will be a huge coup for the AAC. It would mean that two of the last eight teams in the tournament are from that minor, disrespected conference. The 6-seed from that conference would have had to beat two teams from the SEC including the 3rd best team in that conference, and also the 3rd best team in the ACC, to get there. After that feat, no reasonable person could disrespect the AAC, at least in women's basketball.

But of course there is only a tiny chance (1% or less) that a fourth Huskies - Bulls meeting will occur. That is why this whole subject is a tempest in a teapot.

A reasonable person could disrespect the rest of the AAC... just not the top two teams ;)

Now if Tulane makes the sweet 16 or beyond..... well then we will have to revisit this discussion.

Reaction Score
In the EXTREMELY unlikely event that UConn and USF meet in the Elite 8 game, that will be a huge coup for the AAC.
But less of a coup than the also unlikely event of having them meet in the FF or championship.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow. You seem really sure of yourself on that.

They faced #6 seed Arizona State in the Elite 8 in Trenton in 2009. Not that long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Women's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Geno is in a state of mental impairment because he thinks it's silly to have the 2 best teams from the conference in the same region? Ok.
Totally corrected, once every six years then, when the other times it's been #2 seeds with an occasional #3.

The fact still is, once Louisville got placed in the Albany bracket, there was one team that was going to be paired with them and that would host, and that lucky team turned out to be USF. As a fan of other AAC teams, I'm happy that USF got that chance, though it's still not an easy road. I can understand that you feel differently, but as Jose exclaimed happily, "There’s no place like home,” and he's just loving it along with USF's greater chances to advance.

If you have your undergarments all knotted up about the prospects of UConn going down to USF in an Elite 8 game in Albany down the road, that's fine, but maybe some worry beads and the fact that there's many games to be played before that doomsday scenario happens can make you a little less fretful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom