• Offensive Line

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 112 49.6%

• Total voters

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
More critical, his refusal to pull the ball and call his own number on the zone reads is further evidence he isn't all in for the team.
This. Slooooooow. RPO minus the R

Reaction Score
Fagnano stunk and so does Roberson.

Roberson looks decent once the game is decided and defense slacks off. In baseball terms he is a AAAA level minor leaguer. Looks good at AAA but never can play at MLB.

His fefusal to dive hard at the fumble in the first half directly led to a Duke TD. I would have benched him right there. Announcers correctly called him out for mailing it in.

More critical, his refusal to pull the ball and call his own number on the zone reads is further evidence he isn't all in for the team.

Meanwhile the only QB to win six games in a season at any time over the past decade is a year older and healthy and hasn't played a snap all year.
I turned it off when Roberson quit on that fumble… that he caused.

Reaction Score
We have to give Turner his shot next game right? I can’t see them sticking with Roberson from now on. This is embarrassing
I have a feeling that Mora & Co. want to give Zion back his redshirt season at all costs. Unless my suspicion is totally off base, Z.T. will only appear in game action this season if Roberson again goes down with an injury.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not that attendance would exactly be huge (29,033 today, lmfao ok, not even buying that as a distributed number), but it'd be way better for the program to be losing 55-28 every week versus 41-7.

They're always just so damn boring. 20 years of boring.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Mora & Co. want to give Zion back his redshirt season at all costs. Unless my suspicion is totally off base, Z.T. will only appear in game action this season if Roberson again goes down with an injury.
I don't think so. They have McDonald and hopefully the Texas recruit coming in next year. Turner isn't playing because they thought Fagnano and Roberson were better. And...they may have been wrong.

Reaction Score
If this is true, then whoever is 3rd/4th string should start next week. His performance is embarrassing.

Reaction Score
At halftime we had 11 yards rushing and 13 yards passing. Everybody wanted a balanced offense. Unfortunately we've done it by bringing the running game down to the passing games level.
A gem of a description... to say the least ;)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
WR are a mess and Kashif isn't above criticism for their collective performance.
If Joly plays another down or Buckman goes out to field another punt, it destroys locker rooms or culture about accountability or next man up.
I was going to post about Kashif getting a pass... I think he goes out with the bathwater. Sadly, because he gave us one of our best moments as a player.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Conservative coaches (or insecure ones), tend to value ball security over play making. We're back to thinking a punt is a positive offensive outcome.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This. Slooooooow. RPO minus the R

Not just RPO's.

On zone read runs plays, the QB has to read the end player and decide whether to hand off to the RB or pull the ball back and run himself. Almost every team does this play.
In order for this to work, the QB has to call his own number.
Roberson never does and the D sells out keying on the RB. UConn gets so many negative yardage plays running the ball due to Roberson not being able to make a timely read or not willing to run the ball and take the hit.

Reaction Score
Not just RPO's.

On zone read runs plays, the QB has to read the end player and decide whether to hand off to the RB or pull the ball back and run himself. Almost every team does this play.
In order for this to work, the QB has to call his own number.
Roberson never does and the D sells out keying on the RB. UConn gets so many negative yardage plays running the ball due to Roberson not being able to make a timely read or not willing to run the ball and take the hit.
Makes no sense to keep calling something he doesn’t do well. The best coaches find what players do well and build around that. Change the system for the player. Unless they are not seeing anything else that he does well, then we have bigger problems. I still think he throws a nice ball. As others have said more slants, TE and play action would help

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
In hindsight, letting Charlton pull Fagnano from the portal was like drafting Jamarcus Russell. There were a few posters in pre-season telling us "he wasn't great at Maine", but most of us were high on Mora coming off last season. Probably a lazy choice by Charlton and the one we couldn't afford to miss on.

Reaction Score
In hindsight, letting Charlton pull Fagnano from the portal was like drafting Jamarcus Russell. There were a few posters in pre-season telling us "he wasn't great at Maine", but most of us were high on Mora coming off last season. Probably a lazy choice by Charlton and the one we couldn't afford to miss on.

You can’t blame the players for this. I’m pretty sure they’d all be better with a professional OC. They can’t overcome this kind of ineptitude.

Reaction Score
In

Makes no sense to keep calling something he doesn’t do well. The best coaches find what players do well and build around that. Change the system for the player. Unless they are not seeing anything else that he does well, then we have bigger problems. I still think he throws a nice ball. As others have said more slants, TE and play action would help
He looked totally different in the last drive. Where were those calls all day?

Reaction Score
We have to give Turner his shot next game right? I can’t see them sticking with Roberson from now on. This is embarrassing
Turner has had his shot. He played 13 games last year and averaged just 112 yds passing / game. Pretty bad. Would things suddenly get better if we just back to him? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Granted, Fagnano & Roberson have been no better. I thought they would be, which is why I was optimistic going into this year.

But the common denominator in both seasons is Charlton. Our playing calling has been predictable and ineffective. Maybe it just feels this way (I don’t have the stats) but it seems like we rush 90% on second and long and get stuffed more times than not. It’s not working & yet out approach never seems to change.

Reaction Score
In the Spring, the QB battle was between Fagnano and Turner as Roberson was still recovering from injury. This summer it was a 3 way battle between Fagnano, Turner, and Roberson. I think Turner was ruled out pretty quickly as he was performing about the same as the other 2 and I think they wanted to redshirt him.

It appears that they picked Fagnano because he was more experienced, participated in the Spring, and it now looks like Roberson is not fully recovered from injury. And, Roberson had not played an entire game since high school in 2018. Supposedly, Roberson ran a 4.5 40 when he went to Penn St. Does it look to anyone that he could run a 4.5 40 right now? I know that 40s are exaggerated all the time, but Pindell ran a 4.54 40 at UConn's Pro Day and Roberson does not look to have close to the same speed as Pindell. Maybe Roberson is not processing the game fast enough and it is slowing down his decision making.

All that said, Charlton's schemes are not working for this team against good competition.

Reaction Score
You're a tool with the worst record on QB selection but Whitmer (who barely scrapes acceptable) was light year's ahead of Fagnano or Roberson.
Whitmer once went 10 consecutive quarters without leading a scoring drive.

Reaction Score
How come FCS schools in the Northeast can pass the ball and have found decent QBs?

Four FCS QBs from the Northeast:

URI: Kasim Hill, from DC transfer from Tennessee, 6-2, 234 lbs, 1,116 yards, 8 TDs, 4 Ints.

UNH: Max Brosmer, from Georgia HS, 6-2, 221 lbs., 1,231 yards, 12 TDs, 1 Int.

Fordham: C.J. Montes, from Cailf., transfer from New Mexico, 6-2, 205 bs., 1,046 yards, 13 TDs, 0 Int.

Hoy Cross: Matthew Sluka, NY HS, 6-2, 216 lbs., 781 yards, 10 TDs, 1 Int. 364 yards rushing, 4 TDs.

Reaction Score
All are problems.

I would rank issues of offense here.

1. WR
2. Charlton
3. QB .

All are contributing factors. RBs are good. OL isnt great, but it has some good players on it.

They need to play Rosa and Houston at the same time.
Charlton because an OC should know how to make the best of what he has.. It's like playing poker, you have to know when hold em and when to fold em.--his creativity is pathetic.

Reaction Score
I would give Roberson and Turner one half each for the next 2 games. Maybe give Tucker some burn too. If after the Rice game there is no improvement, I would fire Charlton on Sunday Oct 8 and turn the offense over to Marinelli. Let John pick the QB. Then start the search for the next OC In advance of signing season, giving John a chance for the job.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Combine Mora with a Rhett Lashlee like OC and this program will have success
The weird thing is that Mora talked about Charlton like he was a Lashlee. Quotes from the players last year talked about Charlton being an offensive genius.

I get it when the offense struggled under Edsall because he promoted the OL coach to OC. I don't get why Charlton is so bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom