Why is Ines nailed to the bench? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why is Ines nailed to the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the same reason he offered DeBerry. He saw potential or his assistants did. But it doesn’t always work out. I had a few bad hires in my day. I think in Ines’s case, she has more potential to contribute than Amari but has several guards in front of her who are plainly better. That’s seems unlikely to change next year.
I guess he should look less at potential and look for better players ! We have too many potentially good players on the bench that have not helped the team !

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I guess he should look less at potential and look for better players ! We have too many potentially good players on the bench that have not helped the team !
Every player is looked at for potential. Do you really think they are ignoring potential stars too? Seriously .? Bueckers, Fudd both rated #1 in their hs classes. Edwards a star in Canadian high school. Ducharme a top 10 high school player. Arnold a MCD AA. Shade a great high school player., Muhl a highly rated European and El Afy highly regarded as were both Brady and DeBerry. Not to mention Griffin who was not quite as highly regarded but a world of “potential” that paid off big time. They are playing with half a deck and have made at least the final 16. You want a whole list of their recruits over the years plus the ones they didn’t land? Honestly, people sometimes just say stuff

Reaction Score
Every player is looked at for potential. Do you really think they are ignoring potential stars too? Seriously .? Bueckers, Fudd both rated #1 in their hs classes. Edwards a star in Canadian high school. Ducharme a top 10 high school player. Arnold a MCD AA. Shade a great high school player., Muhl a highly rated European and El Afy highly regarded as were both Brady and DeBerry. Not to mention Griffin who was not quite as highly regarded but a world of “potential” that paid off big time. They are playing with half a deck and have made at least the final 16. You want a whole list of their recruits over the years plus the ones they didn’t land? Honestly, people sometimes just say stuff
Loved your last line!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ines was recruited at the last second because he was short of guards due to injuries. Ines was literally headed to a JUCO in Florida when she got an offer

Reaction Score
Appreciate people's comments (well most of them). What I was trying to throw out there as the topic was why wasn't Nika taken out after her 4th foul?

Here is the sequence:
5:47 Nika gets her 3rd foul
5:24 Nika gets her 4th foul
5:16 Nika gets her 5th foul

I'm really not trying to nit pick with the Hal of Fame coach, but upon review clearly Nika was "vulnerable(?)". A short rest on the bench and wise words from Geno could have been an alternate reality. She's 21 or 22, an extreme competitor, emotional, bit stubborn and playing in her last game in Gampel. She had a great game, but could have used a wise word from Grandpa.

"Count to 10 before responding."

I mentioned Ines because she is a guard. Agree that it throws her in a very tough position, but all Nika (and thus the team) needed was a 30 second break after her 4th foul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
hoophuskee- - - My thinking is if Geno didn't think Ines had potential why offer and give her a scholarship in the 1st place!
So if he saw potential do anything he can to get her to realize her potential instead of giving up on her!
I think he did/does. He has Practices imo to show it. I'm just offering my opinion that in Pratctices the other Guards are probably better. If she were a center, she would probably play more. The problem is that she is mostly a PG in and there are 3 pg's ahead of her. UCONN has had some other pg's that haven't worked out as well but these particular 3 have worked out very well. .

So, I don't believe he gave up on her at all. He provideed competitions in Practices imo and he awards minutes to the best players he feels gives his team the best chance to win, which imo any championship caliber coach striving for championships in hghly competitive sporting events tries to do.

Reaction Score
Appreciate people's comments (well most of them). What I was trying to throw out there as the topic was why wasn't Nika taken out after her 4th foul?

Here is the sequence:
5:47 Nika gets her 3rd foul
5:24 Nika gets her 4th foul
5:16 Nika gets her 5th foul

I'm really not trying to nit pick with the Hal of Fame coach, but upon review clearly Nika was "vulnerable(?)". A short rest on the bench and wise words from Geno could have been an alternate reality. She's 21 or 22, an extreme competitor, emotional, bit stubborn and playing in her last game in Gampel. She had a great game, but could have used a wise word from Grandpa.

"Count to 10 before responding."

I mentioned Ines because she is a guard. Agree that it throws her in a very tough position, but all Nika (and thus the team) needed was a 30 second break after her 4th foul.

IMO you're not only slamming the coach on something he has no business being slammed over - but secondly you’re treating Nika Muhl like she is a 6 year old. incapable of keeping her cool. That's so wrong. ,

You say "count to 10 . . . "

I say stop acting like a Kindergarten teacher.

Nika just can’t make that dumb foul. Let's stop with the excuses that we give 6 year olds. In sports players are not perfect. We don't get mad. We just have to accept it. She made a mistake and we move on.

Reaction Score
yup. she was 'thickheaded.' she admits it's one of her flaws. but lordy, you gotta weigh that against her pluses -- which are many.

the idea that geno has to clue her in is ridiculous. she knew that she messed up. pushing off so blatantly was stupid -- but remember that she had to be exhausted at that point and her self-control no doubt was overcome by her basic instinct -- aggression, which she has managed to manage (a hard task) in recent years.

she had accumulated just two fouls to that point while playing very tough defense against primarily a superb, shifty scoring threat. then -- boom, boom, she's quickly assessed two more (questionable?) fouls.

seconds later, she blows it. sad -- but it happens.

regarding geno's failure to sub her out after the fourth foul:

1) he hardly had a chance (and you don't squander time outs at this point)

2) he trusted her because she is so vital to the team and she's previously played successfully with four fouls. so he decided the risk was the right course. i would agree. but nika -- like all of us -- made a mistake. sorry, she's not perfect, but she's damn good.
PacoSwede- - -Geno has pulled Paige from the game to explain to her she needs to shoot more then puts her back in at the next available time!
I think he could have done that with Nika after her 3rd foul and avoided the straight arm for the 5th foul!

Reaction Score
IMO you're not only slamming the coach on something he has no business being slammed over - but secondly you’re treating Nika Muhl like she is a 6 year old. incapable of keeping her cool. That's so wrong. ,

You say "count to 10 . . . "

I say stop acting like a Kindergarten teacher.

Nika just can’t make that dumb foul. Let's stop with the excuses that we give 6 year olds. In sports players are not perfect. We don't get mad. We just have to accept it. She made a mistake and we move on.
hoophuskee- - -Instead of attacking NEforceUConn, how about discussing it civil-like and get your point across without the venom!
Over the years since 1991 when I first caught the UConn WBB bug I've been on many, many UConn WBB fan sites such as ESPN (that folded) and the nastiness was beyond belief!
And one or two others were the same, , you are an As-ho--, and language like that!
I would hate to leave the BY because the majority of posters attack first, and treat other posters as if they are the stupid ones and the attacker is the only one with any logical knowledge!
We've got enough HATE in this country without bringing it to this fan message site too!

Reaction Score
hoophuskee- - -Instead of attacking NEforceUConn, how about discussing it civil-like and get your point across without the venom!
Over the years since 1991 when I first caught the UConn WBB bug I've been on many, many UConn WBB fan sites such as ESPN (that folded) and the nastiness was beyond belief!
And one or two others were the same, , you are an As-ho--, and language like that!
I would hate to leave the BY because the majority of posters attack first, and treat other posters as if they are the stupid ones and the attacker is the only one with any logical knowledge!
We've got enough HATE in this country without bringing it to this fan message site too!
I was civil. A kindergarten teacher is civil. What's wrong with that? Those teachers are very concnered over children. It meant being overly protective to Nika. Nika is capable. It's a bit of a slap in the face to her after all these years that she's being categorized in some manner as "Can't control her emotions," that she must be given a break because of her emotions, isn't it? I'm a fan of Nika. It's sort of an attack on her, isn'it?

We're on a UCONN board and a poster is telling me a player that I like "can't handle it." in some manner. I'm going to fight back on that all day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman