Why is Ines nailed to the bench? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is Ines nailed to the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not trying to make a big deal of this, but game ended up being closer than it should have been.
Your comments weren't unreasonable. Ice looked hesitant and didn't play at the level she did during the BET run-in. She worked hard, but I also thought she was a liability on the floor. I don't question Geno for playing Ice after how she did during the BET, but I also won't attack you for asking what seems like a fair question, considering her struggles in this game.

The people who are calling you crazy/ misinformed/ whatever are doing what's called ad hominem attacks -- attacking the person instead of responding in earnest to your thoughts. By belittling you, they avoid the hard process of reflecting on the question, and the obvious conclusion that comes with any honest reflection: this team has a serious dropoff in experience and ability to contribute after the 5 starters. The bench players will have their time and are at UConn for a reason, but they're clearly not ready now.

Reaction Score
I was more surprised that Q didn't come in when Nika fouled out, especially after Ice had 2 quick turnovers. It really seemed like Ice wanted no part of the ball. Just made the game more interesting I guess. Truly shows how Nika is such an important player even if she isn't putting up big numbers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pardon me.

Nika gets her 4th foul in a close game. About 22 seconds later she fouls out.

Is it unreasonable to consider that Geno could have substituted and had a 20 second chat with Nika as to the gravity of the situation? Put Nika back in after that 20 seconds or if the team is still doing OK rest her a bit more.

Y’all are a tough crowd, but the fact remains that UConn turned the ball over and had subpar possessions with Nika on the bench. KK bailed us out and hopefully Nika learned a lesson.

Survive and advance.
Sure, but it wouldn't be reasonable to put Bettencourt in her place. Which is what I was commenting on.

And

3UXQ.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why would you put a sophomore that averaged 5 minutes a game into a late-game, high pressure situation? Even the seniors struggled and people want Ines to go in and provide key minutes? The players aren’t robots, plug-n-play, they’re human beings that feel nerves. I can’t imagine Geno would put her in that situation

Reaction Score
Ice played very tentatively this weekend but UConn will need her to play well to compete against a couple of teams that are ahead. The only way she gets more confidence is to keep her in when she makes a mistake or two. Nika did an outstanding job holding Fair in check and you had to expect when she got tired the fouls would come fast and furious and they sure did.

Paige and Shade played excellent offensive games this weekend but that was basically it. Next weekend I expect AE to be a little bit more comfortable and bring her dominant game back in the mix. UConn is still in great shape even if every player didn't have a perfect weekend.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your comments weren't unreasonable. Ice looked hesitant and didn't play at the level she did during the BET run-in. She worked hard, but I also thought she was a liability on the floor. I don't question Geno for playing Ice after how she did during the BET, but I also won't attack you for asking what seems like a fair question, considering her struggles in this game.

The people who are calling you crazy/ misinformed/ whatever are doing what's called ad hominem attacks -- attacking the person instead of responding in earnest to your thoughts. By belittling you, they avoid the hard process of reflecting on the question, and the obvious conclusion that comes with any honest reflection: this team has a serious dropoff in experience and ability to contribute after the 5 starters. The bench players will have their time and are at UConn for a reason, but they're clearly not ready now.
Yes, exactly. CLEARLY. Clearly, like any "fan" of UCONN WBB would "reasonably" know this. And reasonably not ask such a question. So either it's a clueless question or someone is just trying to stir the pot. Which do you think it is?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We needed mire help keeping them
Away from the boardsssand Kk had foul trouble early, Nika out with 5 left. Ice committed 0
fouls and kept them pretty well off the boards. Q is a bigger question marl than Ined.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that it would be necessary ,for coach, to stop the game & speak to Nika of the importance of her remaining in the game.! You think that Nika, on her own, would assume her necessity. As for the two 'give a-ways', In the last minute, this is beyond comprehension! Thank you 'Above', for the win!

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to win it all playing only 6 players. I understand Ines not playing, but Q can give you some minutes and she is a scoring threat.

Nika should have been pulled with the 4th foul. It was at 5:24. Geno could have put her back in after the 5:00 timeout.

I believe that fatigue is catching up to the players. Outscored Jackson St by only 1 (37-36) in the 2nd half and outscored by Syracuse by 3 (36-33) in the 2nd half. That is not a formula for winning a championship.

Reaction Score
Yes, exactly. CLEARLY. Clearly, like any "fan" of UCONN WBB would "reasonably" know this. And reasonably not ask such a question. So either it's a clueless question or someone is just trying to stir the pot. Which do you think it is?
Honestly, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm pretty sincere in my thoughts/ questions. Honestly forgot the internet is full of the opposite.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Anyone who has watched Ines at the games would tell you, she is not ready for the big time pressure. She's limited offensively as she's not a great shooter, not especially quick to the rim and not an elite ball handler. Last year against Princeton, yes, she had a nice supporting game but to expect her to use that one game and now be consistent is unrealistic just like those who thought Ice with her 2 game stint in the Big East Tournament had turned the corner, she hasn't. Last night we could all see she was in her own head so much that it was painful to watch. At each huddle, the assistant coaches and other players would encourage her. But as far as Ines is concerned. I would prefer Q in the game and let Paige and KK run the point position with Nika taking a breather.

Nice young lady, hard worker but not a core rotation player at this point.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
It is beyond realistic for Geno to do this and imo your entire post shows extreme panic or an extreme micro-manager that trusts no one. First off, Geno is not going to treat Nika like a 6 year old. Some of you UCONN fans only want to look at things in such a negative light. even after wins - there must be clouds.

Your post is highlighted by the comment you make of KK "Bailing us out." I mean c’mon. What kind of UCONN fan with all the success the Program has had is going to twist this that way? KK Arnold was a number 6 All-American recruit coming out of High School. The opposing team deliberately left her wide open. So, she hits a wide open jump shot and as a UCONN fan that has seen so much success and recognizing that’s a H/S A/A that has had a very good year up to this year that was left wide open- and you refer this to "bailing us out?":)
I'll "semi agree" with ur first paragraph, Coach isn't going to treat Nika like a 6 year old kid and she expended a lot of energy keeping Fair in check in tht 1st half, tht being said fatigue sets in and players make Lazy minded decisions, he trusts Nika but sometimes he has to protect her from herself. As far as KK being deliberately being left open it wasn't bcus they didn't think tht she could make it, she had only took 1 3pt shot and had made it, it came down to the numbers, UConns bigs required 2 defenders, they definitely had a defender on Ash, and 2 and possibly 3 most definitely shadowing Paige , so tht left KK wide open and she came through (bailed them out) and doubled the lead with tht shot. If Ash or Paige hits tht shot I kinda believe that you'd say tht said player came through and bailed the team out. Yes? I'll say this tho, 2nd half of the game, Nika, KK, and Paige all got the "Business" from Fair, tht girl's a player, ask Notre Dame.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
maybe Nika got her 5th foul because she did to the Syracuse player what they had been doing to her all night.
True..Fair and her teammates were definitely bringing the contact, it's in all opposing coaches strategies, you gotta be physical with UConn anything just short of an felony is acceptable

Reaction Score
I'll "semi agree" with ur first paragraph, Coach isn't going to treat Nika like a 6 year old kid and she expended a lot of energy keeping Fair in check in tht 1st half, tht being said fatigue sets in and players make Lazy minded decisions, he trusts Nika but sometimes he has to protect her from herself. As far as KK being deliberately being left open it wasn't bcus they didn't think tht she could make it, she had only took 1 3pt shot and had made it, it came down to the numbers, UConns bigs required 2 defenders, they definitely had a defender on Ash, and 2 and possibly 3 most definitely shadowing Paige , so tht left KK wide open and she came through (bailed them out) and doubled the lead with tht shot. If Ash or Paige hits tht shot I kinda believe that you'd say tht said player came through and bailed the team out. Yes? I'll say this tho, 2nd half of the game, Nika, KK, and Paige all got the "Business" from Fair, tht girl's a player, ask Notre Dame.
How can you say "bailed them out" when she hst an open wide open shot? She hit a wide open shot. KK alsohits that shot. She has this year. Lok at teh stats- she has taken quite a few 3's this year.

And yes we can agree to disagree. There were three players around Paige when she had the ball preventing her from gettiing in the lane- trying to. The defender that was supposedly guarding KK left KK deliberately to assist to Paige.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
How can you say "bailed them out" when she hst an open wide open shot? She hit a wide open shot. KK alsohits that shot. She has this year. Lok at teh stats- she has taken quite a few 3's this year.

And yes we can agree to disagree. There were three players around Paige when she had the ball preventing her from gettiing in the lane- trying to. The defender that was supposedly guarding KK left KK deliberately to assist to Paige.
True do it came down to ...numbers

Reaction Score
Why would you put a sophomore that averaged 5 minutes a game into a late-game, high pressure situation? Even the seniors struggled and people want Ines to go in and provide key minutes? The players aren’t robots, plug-n-play, they’re human beings that feel nerves. I can’t imagine Geno would put her in that situation
HuskyNan- To me the question should be with Ines showing improvement in the summer and how she improved as the season went last year why she wasn't used more during the WHOLE season then he could have used her in the Big East and NCAA's!
I can't picture Ines being so lackluster at ALL practices, not showing any improvement, to warrant NO playing time!
She doesn't strike me as that type of player/person!
I love and respect Geno but sometimes he gets an impression of a player and that's set in stone and he never changes his mind!
When Geno was out for that series of games last season and CD took over, she played everyone and the least used players really came forward with good efforts!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Behold, I tell you a mystery
(
Part 3 Handel's Messiah...from somewhere in the Bible).

There are several questions under discussion in this thread.
Joe raised the following:

HOWEVER, given that she hasn't played meaningful minutes all year, you certainly don't put her in an NCAA Tournament game where the outcome has not been decided. That would be completely foolhardy.

Nan reinforced that view:

Why would you put a sophomore that averaged 5 minutes a game into a late-game, high pressure situation?

Let me start with Nan's query...Why? because Ice was completely out of her comfort zone with regard Offense...less so on D and rebounding which was most likely the reason that Geno left her in. But it was pretty scary anytime she had the ball in her hands and putting in another guard might have been appropriate.

Then there is the complex question raised by Joe...
then first part is why, after showing promises and playing important minutes last year, at times, to reasonable success, would she be relegated to the deep, doggy house?

I have no answer, perhaps Nan knows...But I have a hard time believing that she regressed so much over the summer that she is now only suitable for mop-up.
She's quick and athletic...It's true she missed most of her shots this season but I don't think the few minutes she gets is representative.

We all know Geno's predilection for shortening the bench in tight spots and that certain players with some ability have been relegated...And he's mentioned his admiration for Q's potential, which is obvious to all.

But I (and others) thought that Ines might be quite useful this season, especially after the injuries...but apparently, no dice

A great mystery.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to win it all playing only 6 players. I understand Ines not playing, but Q can give you some minutes and she is a scoring threat.

Nika should have been pulled with the 4th foul. It was at 5:24. Geno could have put her back in after the 5:00 timeout.

I believe that fatigue is catching up to the players. Outscored Jackson St by only 1 (37-36) in the 2nd half and outscored by Syracuse by 3 (36-33) in the 2nd half. That is not a formula for winning a championship.
And yet we won, twice!

Reaction Score
HuskyNan- To me the question should be with Ines showing improvement in the summer and how she improved as the season went last year why she wasn't used more during the WHOLE season then he could have used her in the Big East and NCAA's!
I can't picture Ines being so lackluster at ALL practices, not showing any improvement, to warrant NO playing time!
She doesn't strike me as that type of player/person!
I love and respect Geno but sometimes he gets an impression of a player and that's set in stone and he never changes his mind!
When Geno was out for that series of games last season and CD took over, she played everyone and the least used players really came forward with good efforts!
It has nothing to do with her improvement if the other players are better and/or improved more. in which there remains a wide gap.

Reaction Score
As stated above IMHO it is not a inept question to ask considering how the 4th quarter was going why weren't other moves made!
The posters were simply asking why nothing was done when Nika (who I love!) went "brain dead" in the 4th quarter and Ice was having obvious problems herself!
Sometimes thinking "out of the box" is the only way to solve the problem!
Instead of attacking said posters calmly discuss the alternatives to the 4th quarter problems!
It wouldn't hurt to show some compassion instead of insult them as if they were stupid!
There's other choices than being nasty to them!

Reaction Score
Behold, I tell you a mystery
(
Part 3 Handel's Messiah...from somewhere in the Bible).

There are several questions under discussion in this thread.
Joe raised the following:

HOWEVER, given that she hasn't played meaningful minutes all year, you certainly don't put her in an NCAA Tournament game where the outcome has not been decided. That would be completely foolhardy.

Nan reinforced that view:

Why would you put a sophomore that averaged 5 minutes a game into a late-game, high pressure situation?

Let me start with Nan's query...Why? because Ice was completely out of her comfort zone with regard Offense...less so on D and rebounding which was most likely the reason that Geno left her in. But it was pretty scary anytime she had the ball in her hands and putting in another guard might have been appropriate.

Then there is the complex question raised by Joe...
then first part is why, after showing promises and playing important minutes last year, at times, to reasonable success, would she be relegated to the deep, doggy house?

I have no answer, perhaps Nan knows...But I have a hard time believing that she regressed so much over the summer that she is now only suitable for mop-up.
She's quick and athletic...It's true she missed most of her shots this season but I don't think the few minutes she gets is representative.

We all know Geno's predilection for shortening the bench in tight spots and that certain players with some ability have been relegated...And he's mentioned his admiration for Q's potential, which is obvious to all.

But I (and others) thought that Ines might be quite useful this season, especially after the injuries...but apparently, no dice

A great mystery.
msf22b-I wrote my post before having a chance to read yours!
We are thinking along the same lines!
Your post was one of the best I've read this season!
We're brothers of different mothers!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Some people are scratching their heads on what was wrong with Ice. They can't understand why she didn't play like she did in the Big East tournament. In the BE tournament she didn't have a choice, AE was out and she was the only one available so she just did it without thinking. Last night was a very different, it was a very physical game and she seemed to have some hesitation in her play. Maybe it was because AE was playing and she was doing more thinking than doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom