Why i bought a big screen | The Boneyard

Why i bought a big screen

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
i bought a big screen TV; not so ESPN CAN SHOW MULTIPLE SCREENS AND WHAT I DESIRE TO WATCH IS SMALLER...just saying...
That bothers me too......also, on Directv, there are so many channels which are not in HD.

Reaction Score
That bothers me too.also, on Directv, there are so many channels which are not in HD.

Are you referring to the sd duplicates of each channel? Because I would say at least 95% of Directv channels are available in HD. Honestly, the only channel I can think of that is not HD is CPTV.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to the sd duplicates of each channel? Because I would say at least 95% of Directv channels are available in HD. Honestly, the only channel I can think of that is not HD is CPTV.

You can eliminate this by going to the menu and settings. Then you can either have SD or HD or both.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I am watching CPTV right now("Mercy Street"), and it is in HD. There are many more channels which are NOT in HD. I just checked 162 channels,and 84 of them were not in HD. There are several more, but I got tired of checking them.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Same here. Plus there was a nice steal right at mid court and taken the other way for points and the announcers completely ignored it.

They ignored much of the game after the first quarter. I have defended TV broadcasts that give us less than a full-on radio narrative. But this ongoing 90-minute digression was, methinks, rather excessive. The Pat tributes were nice, but the other extraneous stuff was annoying.

Antonelli seems to like hearing the sound of her voice.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't understand why the tv producers think fans want to hear interviews while the game is going on as if the game is not interesting enough. Also, isolating on a single player after that player makes a good play while the ball is being inbounded just ticks me off. Sometimes a steal occurs and the audience misses it. Just saying.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I don't understand why the tv producers think fans want to hear interviews while the game is going on as if the game is not interesting enough. Also, isolating on a single player after that player makes a good play while the ball is being inbounded just ticks me off. Sometimes a steal occurs and the audience misses it. Just saying.

I could never understand that either. Similarly, the cut-away to the bench reaction, ignoring the game in the process.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I am watching CPTV right now("Mercy Street"), and it is in HD. There are many more channels which are NOT in HD. I just checked 162 channels,and 84 of them were not in HD. There are several more, but I got tired of checking them.
I know there are channels not in HD - but
- all the broadcast channels, the movie channels, all the ESPN's that I get, all the other sports networks, including all the individual Fox stations, Food Network, HGTV, etc. are all in HD
- ESPN used to sell a Full Court basketball package (probably no more since the net is so prevalent) that were in SD. Yuck. Why I didn't subscribe. But during the NCAA's, the extra channels are HD. And NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB extra innings were all HD.

Another place where SD rears it ugly head is when ESPN splits Football coverage. Often, the out-of-market game is available only in SD (on the SD version of ESPN2, the HD is blacked out).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I turn to SD channels and my cable provider automatically changes it to HD.... ESPN is ch 29 (SD) and 1029 (or something like that) on HD.

Im not interested in remembering 4 digits when I only have to remember the 2 old ones and let my system do the rest of the work for me

Reaction Score
My SNY channel is not in HD. Watching on iPad is crystal clear but on TV they are stumpy looking.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Since we're already OT. Anyone have an OLED TV? I was looking at the 65" LG @ Best Buy last night and its pretty amazing looking with the sample set. Are they worth the extra cost?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
i bought a big screen TV; not so ESPN CAN SHOW MULTIPLE SCREENS AND WHAT I DESIRE TO WATCH IS SMALLER...just saying...

So you are saying that size does matter?

Reaction Score
Same here. Plus there was a nice steal right at mid court and taken the other way for points and the announcers completely ignored it.

I do not keep track of the announcers names. This is a common occurrence, they bloviate about something, and ignore the game.- - not sure which announcer . . . she rambles on about everything but the game 75% of the time

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Since we're already OT. Anyone have an OLED TV? I was looking at the 65" LG @ Best Buy last night and its pretty amazing looking with the sample set. Are they worth the extra cost?
I own last years LG OLED. The 4K version. OLED's have (as do any TV) their strengths and weaknesses.

The strengths of an OLED are the black levels are so dramatically better than almost any other TV on the market. Because of this the colors and details pop out of the screen like no other. Also last years and this coming years LG OLED's are thin. This years are almost paper thin, making them easy to mount. If that's your kind of thing. Not mine.

The weaknesses are small and relatively easy to handle. First is burn in. I babied the TV for the first 200 hours. And yes, I kept track. No lingering on channels with scrolling or channel numbers emplaced on the bottom. Sorry, this means no watching ESPN or CNN for long periods. However, even if you get some burn in there is an easy solution. LG uses an algorithm to "clean" the screen which resets the OLED's output. All you need do is turn it off, then turn it back on. If that fails, wait one hour and repeat. In other words, during normal usage the OLED output will reset. It happened to me and I can attest it works a treat.

The other weakness is the LG's 4K upconversion technology isn't as good as Sony's, which is the best ever, or Samsung's. This means in dark scenes on broadcast 1080p TV and movies there will be more noticeable artifacts. These artifacts are nearly eliminated on Sony's sets, less so on Samsung's. Artifacts are not noticeable on HDR, blu-ray, or 4K material.

Now for a caveat emptor. Samsung TV are very bright. Abnormally bright. OLED's have a lesser lumins, or brightness output than the over bright Samsung's or Sony's. Let me however be clear. ALL MODERN TV'S ONCE PURCHASED NEED TO BE CALIBRATED. I cannot repeat this enough. TV's in store are set to "store" or "display" mode which is usually Vivid. At home this mode will fry your eyeballs with extended viewing. This means TV's in store are running very hot. That's like having your foot on your car's accelerator 24/7. Not good for the lifespan of the TV. Sony has a Cinema Pro mode and Samsung's Movie with Warm 2 modes are the closest to the proper temperatures. LG has an ISF expert 1 and 2 modes which are best. However, if you go online and look up your TV's model number about calibration many sites will post theirs and they are pretty much all the same, but they do involve going into the menu and getting your hands dirty.

Lastly what is ISF? The Imaging Science Foundation members specialize in adjusting the levels of a projector or television to its environment by balancing the color, contrast and brightness setting both against the room lighting and against each other. These guys cost money. If you buy through Best Buy or another brick and mortar they may be able to point you toward a member near you, if you have the inclination or the pocket. If you have any more questions please feel free to hit my inbox.

Reaction Score
BEST picture quality ever. But even with 1K off still 3 K.

Reaction Score
Funny, I was at best buy the other day drooling over that LG 65inch OLED too! Your right, 3 K is a tidy sum to spend on a
TV. I asked it ever went on sale and the sales guy said it was "on sale" but then he went on to say it was $2100 on black Friday. If it was $2100 the other day it would have been in my car! Awesome picture.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The weaknesses are small and relatively easy to handle. First is burn in. I babied the TV for the first 200 hours. And yes, I kept track.
Wow, thanks for your honesty. I was always curious as to "how long are these TV's suppose to last these days. Remember the old "floor model" or 13" tjat last 20-30 yrs. He havent gotten to the point of figuring out life expectancy of these new flat screens.
I have a 5yr old 47" Vizio Smart TV and a 4yr old 60" Vizio Smart TV... and just sitting here waiting for them to crash and burn for some strange reason (knock on wood that they dont). I think cause they're so easy to replace (money-wise) and the options are there to replace. I do know a few people (older/elderly) that refuse to purchase a new TV because their old tube-tv is "getting the job done". I feel bad for these people cause they're missing out on some wonder pictures. Lets not talk about having a DVR to replace that old VCR an all of those VHS tapes piled up on top of the floor model TV. smh

Reaction Score
BEST picture quality ever. But even with 1K off still 3 K.

I'm still amazed at how much and how fast TV technology has changed. I can remember buying a 42 inch Fujitsu plasma screen TV in 2000 "on sale" for $10.500.

Reaction Score
But I miss being able to record on VCR! You just bought the machine and tapes and you could record, save, share, play on another machine without another purchase. Now if I want to record on DVR, I have to pay a monthly fee and it is not portable!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom