Why I believe Herbst and Warde do make a HC move | The Boneyard

Why I believe Herbst and Warde do make a HC move

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Before I opened it I figured was for savings. If it was cheaper to move Hartford to West Hartford they would. I have no problem with the woman but canonizing her for cutting expenses...

Reaction Score
I was going to post this earlier. Great move for Hartford as well. UConn is the one organization in the state that can singlehandedly bring life and excitement to downtown. I hope they grow the Hartford presence by 10 fold over the coming years.

Reaction Score
The value of the land in West Hartford should be pretty nice.

Reaction Score
I think its Warde's decision and Warde's ass and I think P gets another year. I P keeps GDL on for next season it will be P's last season. Warde's career will ride with the decision he makes to replace him.

Reaction Score
The value of the land in West Hartford should be pretty nice.
Have you been there? It's not vacant land. It's surrounded by housing on three sides, and St. Joseph's.

Zoning could be an issue for any prospective commercial development due to the surrounding use. Unless St. Josephs is interested in expanding, the expenses of tearing down and disposal of the existing buildings could be cost prohibitive. We're talking about bricks and concrete, and a very large paved parking lot. Not 10-15 stick built homes.

Vacant land there could easily be worth tens of millions. As it exists, it could sit vacant for quite some time depending on what planning/zoning will allow.

I would bet the State buys it and opens up yet another CREC school.

Reaction Score
I think Warde makes a decision this year with Susan's blessing. She's a "no- guy". (Cadillac Man reference)

Reaction Score
Before I opened it I figured was for savings. If it was cheaper to move Hartford to West Hartford they would. I have no problem with the woman but canonizing her for cutting expenses...
Man, you really can be a crank.

1. Not canonizing her, pointing out her decisiveness and focus
2. You think this decision gets made this quickly under previous administrations?
3. Deterioration of WH campus is analogous to deterioration under PP. Don't continue to throw good money after bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Man, you really can be a crank.

1. Not canonizing her, pointing out her decisiveness and focus
2. You think this decision gets made this quickly under previous administrations?
3. Deterioration of WH campus is analogous to deterioration under PP. Don't continue to throw good money after bad.

Do I think that administrators cut costs? Yeah. That's what they do. I don't see any other benefit than that. 90% of the people who actually take classes there would prefer West Hartford I'd guess.

If it was cheaper to close downtown they would do that. This isn't some groundbreaking vision.

Reaction Score
90% of the people who actually take classes there would prefer West Hartford I'd guess.

Having taken summer classes there between semesters, likely depends on whether or not the parking is free in Hartford. Otherwise I'd say 50/50. The buildings and classrooms suck. Think UConn's main campus circa 1985.

Reaction Score
This isn't some groundbreaking vision.

Neither is firing PP.

She's shown that she is proactive and doesn't hesitate to make changes she deems necessary (and not all of them have been cost saving measures).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Eyeore=Whaler

Not quite sure how that is Eyeore. Someone coming into a job and cutting costs? Do you guys have jobs?

Moving the West Hartford campus when it needs $25 million dollars worth of work tells you nothing more than they don't have $25 million to spend.

It isn't focus, it has nothing to do with how she is going to handle the football program. It's expensive and they don't have the money. Anyone can cut costs - literally anyone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Neither is firing PP.

She's shown that she is proactive and doesn't hesitate to make changes she deems necessary (and not all of them have been cost saving measures).

Good and if she does it I'll celebrate her because the easy way out is to not fire him.

Reaction Score
Lighten up a little.

Not quite sure how that is Eyeore. Someone coming into a job and cutting costs? Do you guys have jobs?

Moving the West Hartford campus when it needs $25 million dollars worth of work tells you nothing more than they don't have $25 million to spend.

It isn't focus, it has nothing to do with how she is going to handle the football program. It's expensive and they don't have the money. Anyone can cut costs - literally anyone.

Reaction Score
I probably should. I wish I had the ability to let nonsense slide of my back. Being grounded in reality is tiring.
If you're going to be grounded in reality, you should stop accusing someone of canonizing an individual they called "focused and strategic". I think skiblets called her "above average". You make it seem like he called her a miracle worker.

FWIW, I think I may agree with your take more often than anyone else.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Having taken summer classes there between semesters, likely depends on whether or not the parking is free in Hartford. Otherwise I'd say 50/50. The buildings and classrooms suck. Think UConn's main campus circa 1985.

I'm sure parking won't be free, I'll bet they would want students to park at the park and ride and take the bus. I wonder if they are targeting the building across Main from the Old State House. The place is centrally located and has been mothballed for a while.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Being a glass-half-empty kind of guy myself, I find that I agree with Whaler most times as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Being a glass-half-empty kind of guy myself, I find that I agree with Whaler most times as well.

It's not glass half empty. I have no opinion of the woman or her leadership yet.

A decision to cut costs falls safely under dog bites man.

It's like congratulating Bob Cordani for taking First Five money in the middle of CIGNA layoffs. Visionary.

Reaction Score
Read the article again. This move was made after a Strategic Facility Planning process. The fact that this will reduce expenses makes it win/win.

To call this move traditional cost cutting does the decision a disservice. This was a step taken as part of a larger strategic effort.

Susan has plans and is now executing the hell out of them.

Reaction Score
Since UConn dumped 7+ million into the facility in the past 4 years on repairs, it's also costing them that much to walk away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Read the article again. This move was made after a Strategic Facility Planning process. The fact that this will reduce expenses makes it win/win.

To call this move traditional cost cutting does the decision a disservice. This was a step taken as part of a larger strategic effort.

Susan has plans and is now executing the hell out of them.

Please. What's the advantage to holding classes in Hartford versus West Hartford. Same classes, same student. Held 5 miles away because it's cheaper.

If they moved it the other way they would say the exact same things.

It's expensive to have two campuses next to each other - it isn't a master stroke of genius to consolidate them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since UConn dumped 7+ million into the facility in the past 4 years on repairs, it's also costing them that much to walk away.

Do we really need to define sunk costs? If we do we have a great example. He's the head football coach of the University....

Reaction Score
Skiblets is right. This relocation is a decision, like many others, that was punted down the field by Austin and Hogan. She did the analysis and acted on it. And if she does a tidy cost/benefit on PP, she'll come to a very satisfying conclusion for all of us. Do not discount the fact that Susan was in Tampa to watch that tepid display. Money matters and a failing football program which leads to a disengaged fan base, legislature and donor pool will not be tolerated. Here's my sense. When year end arrives, she might let Warde buy the gun and may let him load the bullets, but, at zero hour, it will be her middle finger squeezing firmly on the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom