Why football might actually be the biggest winner. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why football might actually be the biggest winner.

Is this realistic (at least in 2-3 years when we get our feet under us)?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
As a purely academic exercise, this is all well and good. But we need to attract good quality recruits and start winning games. That has to be our No. 1 priority. Without that, this is all just an academic exercise.

My biggest fear is that this will be the toughest task we face. Without good quality talent, all the imaginative schduling in the world won't solve our problems. We need good quality recruits and enough wins. It can be done, but will it be?

If going independent allows us to schedule roughly the equivalent of a P5 schedule we may be able to attract better recruits and get this turned around. Not many quality HS players want to come to UConn to play an AAC schedule.

Regarding non-P5 opponents I think Temple will also be on the schedule every other year or so.

Reaction Score
Time will tell. I’m sure we will get our share of crappy opponents but we will get a couple nice suitors to balance us out. If we don’t generate any profit, which seems to come from wins in CT, so long. Randy had a tough climb but I am optimistic.

Reaction Score
7 P5 games, most with 1 for 1s, plus Notre Dame, BYU, and Army? For an independent.. yeah sure that's remotely plausible. Realistically BYU's schedule with 4 P5s is the best case and BYU has the advantage of a P5 rivalry game with Utah to provide one of those, as well as a more robust football history.

You'll note no P5 games even for BYU after September. That's also a highly likely outcome. BYU's schedule is a much better potential outcome than the UMass outcome, which is two mid-low P5s both on the road (which as their AD describes is their model, two P5 buy games, a 1AA game and then fill in with Group of 5 games the rest of the way).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Would totally take a 2 for 1 with Florida State. Sign us up now!

Yes, that's a potential 3+ million dollar haul for the two away games. Let's give them a nice late Nov game at PAWS-ARF. Wind chill expected to be 25 degrees, with gale force gusts from the northeast. Snow accumulation 4-8 inches. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
7 P5 games, most with 1 for 1s, plus Notre Dame, BYU, and Army? For an independent.. yeah sure that's remotely plausible. Realistically BYU's schedule with 4 P5s is the best case and BYU has the advantage of a P5 rivalry game with Utah to provide one of those, as well as a more robust football history.

You'll note no P5 games even for BYU after September. That's also a highly likely outcome. BYU's schedule is a much better potential outcome than the UMass outcome, which is two mid-low P5s both on the road (which as their AD describes is their model, two P5 buy games, a 1AA game and then fill in with Group of 5 games the rest of the way).

You schedule as many p5 schools up front and hopefully work with other independents for the rest of the year. I’m not sure I’d schedule FCS in august/sept unless I could not schedule P5.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think that:

BYU
Army
Liberty
UMass
NMSU

Are givens every year. Throw in an FCS, sometimes two, and we're looking at 5-6 P5 games a year at best. And I'd be happy with that

We won’t play two FCS teams except maybe 2020 out of necessity

Reaction Score
Let’s give Free Shoes a nice late Nov game at PAWS-ARF. Wind chill expected to be 25 degrees, with gale force gusts from the northeast.
Rarely would most men wish to observe billybud in his typical speedo, but exceptions may infrequently exist ...

Reaction Score
The assumption is that Uconn will remain a qualifying P5 opponent for the B1G, ACC, etc. that is a very big assumption when most independents are not. RighT now, independent Uconn is no different than UMass of New Mexico. If Uconn is not a qualified game, then the chances for 2 and 1 series seems very remote.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The assumption is that Uconn will remain a qualifying P5 opponent for the B1G, ACC, etc. that is a very big assumption when most independents are not. RighT now, independent Uconn is no different than UMass of New Mexico. If Uconn is not a qualified game, then the chances for 2 and 1 series seems very remote.

Yes, it's nice to dream about all these teams that will be dying to play us, but the harsh reality of Independent football is unless you're ND or BYU, it's a ticket to nowhere. No bowl games, no money from conference bowl payouts, and in UCONN's case, no support from the AS. It's a slow descent toward total irrelevancy, and then death.

Reaction Score
One other possible positive for UConn -- schools that like to play in New York City region may want to play UConn at venues like Yankee Stadium or Citifield. So if UConn returns to being in top 50 I think Duke, UVA, Texas, SMU or even Stanford. They may have large NYC alumni presence. But if UConn remains at the bottom of the pool it may be New Mexico State and Central CT.
You do what you have to do
If Texas wants to play you at Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands , or even Foxboro. You ask what time is good for you.
Randy’s got to recruit like we’re a player to make this respectable though..

Reaction Score
Ash adjusted the OOC schedule to focus on more regional teams and Rutgers scheduled series with Temple, BC, Syracuse and VaTech. As far as I know UCONN was never part of the conversation.

Reaction Score
What does this mean?

Attachments

• 9D9F5FB8-BB1B-4373-A4C7-FE0B099BDAAC.png
    9D9F5FB8-BB1B-4373-A4C7-FE0B099BDAAC.png
    342.9 KB · Views: 226
Reaction Score
You do what you have to do
If Texas wants to play you at Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands , or even Foxboro. You ask what time is good for you.
Randy’s got to recruit like we’re a player to make this respectable though..
I assume it is less expensive to play at Citifield and then would come more costly Yankee Stadium. Are pro football venues the most expensive to play at? If Texas wanted to play we would say anyplace you want. But for schools like UVA or Duke or SMU if they do not want East Hartford Citifield may be an economical option.

Reaction Score
I assume it is less expensive to play at Citifield and then would come more costly Yankee Stadium. Are pro football venues the most expensive to play at? If Texas wanted to play we would say anyplace you want. But for schools like UVA or Duke or SMU if they do not want East Hartford Citifield may be an economical option.

UVA, Duke, and especially SMU can play at the Rent.

Reaction Score
OP is not close to realistic.

I expect one or 2 big payday games a year. 7-9 mid level FBS (2-3 P5) & 6-7 MAC, SunBelt, UMASS/Army, CUSA & then maybe a Reach to MWC. The announcement that the add Central & Lafayette seems like a Beacon; are they gonna do 2 FCS a lot of years

I think the Paul Doyle article is right on

Reaction Score
Just wondering if SNY could help us get venues such as Citifield and Yankee Stadium when needed and help reduce costs. They broadcast the pro baseball games from there. And say they want to broadcast UConn football in the future.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if SNY could help us get venues such as Citifield and Yankee Stadium when needed and help reduce costs. They broadcast the pro baseball games from there. And say they want to broadcast UConn football in the future.
Has Citifield ever hosted a football game?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Because we played in the AAC, the max number of P5 schools we could play on a yearly basis was 4. Some of you think we will have a hard time scheduling big good programs but I don't think so.

Almost every year, we will play UMass and Army H/H and one FCS school at home, which means that leaves 9 games (3 or 4 home games) to make a great schedule. I fully believe we will continue to be able to schedule low-level P5 schools on a H/H basis, mid-level P5 schools on a 2 for 1 basis, and juggernauts as pay games.

I can legitimately see this being a schedule once we get going as an independent:

1. Indiana (A) H/H
2. Rutgers (H) H/H
3. Purdue (A) H/H
4. Illinois (H) H/H
5. Maryland (A) H/H
6. Florida State (A) 2 for 1
7. Notre Dame (A) pay game
8. BYU (H) H/H
9. Army (A) H/H
10. Holy Cross (H) FCS
11. Auburn (A) pay game
12. UMass (H) H/H

This is realistic. The first six weeks of the season are fairly easy to schedule. I truly believe the Big 10 will continue to consider us a P5 "opponent" and we can get home and homes with 5 teams I mentioned. Florida State would be a 2 for 1. You would take a bye most years in Week 7. It wouldn't have to be Notre Dame but in any given year, a few big schools have an open date about half way through the year (enter Notre Dame in my example) for a body bag game. BYU and Army both admit they have issues scheduling so that is pretty realistic. Auburn being a pay game makes sense because SEC schools take the 2nd to last week of the season as a tune up game, and UMass would be our "rivalry" game at the end of the year. We won't be able to get this the first year, but it meets all of the requirements: 5 home games (some years 6 in our case). Oh, and by the way, we'll play 8 P5 in this scenario.

I'm just pissed we didn't do this 5 years ago.

I would like to have what you are drinking... FSU scheduling us? If DB called FSU, the laughter from FSU will be heard in Tampa...why not schedule Alabama, Texas or UCLA? I mean if you are going crazy, go really crazy...

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Because we played in the AAC, the max number of P5 schools we could play on a yearly basis was 4. Some of you think we will have a hard time scheduling big good programs but I don't think so.

Almost every year, we will play UMass and Army H/H and one FCS school at home, which means that leaves 9 games (3 or 4 home games) to make a great schedule. I fully believe we will continue to be able to schedule low-level P5 schools on a H/H basis, mid-level P5 schools on a 2 for 1 basis, and juggernauts as pay games.

I can legitimately see this being a schedule once we get going as an independent:

1. Indiana (A) H/H
2. Rutgers (H) H/H
3. Purdue (A) H/H
4. Illinois (H) H/H
5. Maryland (A) H/H
6. Florida State (A) 2 for 1
7. Notre Dame (A) pay game
8. BYU (H) H/H
9. Army (A) H/H
10. Holy Cross (H) FCS
11. Auburn (A) pay game
12. UMass (H) H/H

This is realistic. The first six weeks of the season are fairly easy to schedule. I truly believe the Big 10 will continue to consider us a P5 "opponent" and we can get home and homes with 5 teams I mentioned. Florida State would be a 2 for 1. You would take a bye most years in Week 7. It wouldn't have to be Notre Dame but in any given year, a few big schools have an open date about half way through the year (enter Notre Dame in my example) for a body bag game. BYU and Army both admit they have issues scheduling so that is pretty realistic. Auburn being a pay game makes sense because SEC schools take the 2nd to last week of the season as a tune up game, and UMass would be our "rivalry" game at the end of the year. We won't be able to get this the first year, but it meets all of the requirements: 5 home games (some years 6 in our case). Oh, and by the way, we'll play 8 P5 in this scenario.

I'm just pissed we didn't do this 5 years ago.
I'd throw Iowa in there with a possible H&H. Kirk Ferentz has deep roots at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom