Why don't we pass in the middle of the field? | The Boneyard

Why don't we pass in the middle of the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A friend mentioned this during the Army game. We rarely pass in between the numbers let alone in the middle of the field. It's a steady diet of down and outs, swing passes and an occasional down field fade to the sideline.

My guess is that Diaco feels it is too dangerous and may result in a TO. But there is a lot of room of room in their and other teams seem to exploit it quite often.

Anyone else notice this tendency? Any guesses why we seem to avoid it?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Higher probability of an interception.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
None of our plays have patterns across the middle - why? Because we coach with love and care and you cant ask someone to go across the middle like they are Anquan Boldin when you love and care for them...

Reaction Score
Watch the WRs create separation and watch our TEs create gaps in the D. You'll likely have your answer. The primary reason we don't throw across the middle is not because there are no receivers there, it's because there are no open receivers. The question you and your friend might want to ask is why not have Bloom run short routes in the middle of the field and just stick his frigging 6'7" arm up.

Reaction Score
Agree. When TE is used down seams or set down in coverage we get first downs or something manageable Then we stop Buddies around me say same

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing while watching the game but then after watching the film Sunday night you just don't have athletes that can create much seperation right now. Cincinnati played man coverage the entire night and there just weren't windows to throw the ball into. That and Cincinnati was able to get pressure on the QB so it's not like the UConn receivers had 5 and 6 seconds to get open. I promise you coach Diaco is more than aware off this and is getting stronger, faster and better receivers along with better lineman. He's going to get it done and coach Diaco will win at UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our typical series...

First down is a run for little or no yardage.

Second down is pass or run for little or no yardage. Maybe we get cute and have a glacially-slow QB keep it on an option.

Third and long is an incomplete pass across the field to a receiver equally penned in by the sideline and a defender.

Fourth, a punt.

We have a horizontal passing game - we routinely complete passes for no gain and we're always having our (inaccurate) quarterbacks attempt tough passes across the field to the sidelines. In all facets of our offense, we seem to have a phobia against moving directly towards the end zone - everything tries to go east-west.

Reaction Score
When your routes run three yards out, even when you're perfect you are forced to punt. . .

Reaction Score
NONE of our current active QBs have the ability to go thru their progressions quick enough to even think about throwing up the middle... (TRUTH)

Reaction Score
Because our QB's can't consistently make the sideline throws: Whitmer's arm isn't strong enough and Boyle is too inaccurate. Therefore Uconn is going to keep doing it to prove to the college football world that they can't throw and then revert back to a 1950s ground attack that will chase away the remaining 8,000 fans in the seats.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Because our QB's can't consistently make the sideline throws: Whitmer's arm isn't strong enough and Boyle is too inaccurate. Therefore Uconn is going to keep doing it to prove to the college football world that they can't throw and then revert back to a 1950s ground attack that will chase away the remaining 8,000 fans in the seats.

Seriously - I would celebrate a triple option offense if it got us back to the 8-4 days; probably just me and my 5 would be in the stands but you dont need to throw the ball to keep my interest; play hard, with an urgerncy, complete and win, win by any means.

Reaction Score
Seriously - I would celebrate a triple option offense if it got us back to the 8-4 days; probably just me and my 5 would be in the stands but you dont need to throw the ball to keep my interest; play hard, with an urgerncy, complete and win, win by any means.
But that's not how college football is played anymore. Just watch PAC12, big 12 and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom