Why did Ollie cut his presser short? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why did Ollie cut his presser short?

Reaction Score
I didn't see anything in the presser to suggest he doesn't care. He just seemed beaten down by all the losing. He's lost control of the program, or doesn't know how to coach, or hasn't recruited well ... whatever. If the presser is any indication, the losing is starting to get to him. It would certainly get to me if I were the coach.

You get half of a like for your post, and another half for your avatar. That's one hell of a kitty.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty pathetic how he gave this presser! Those of you still in his corner should watch his body language and listen to the tone of his voice...this is a man who doesn’t care about the program he gets paid $3.0 million/year to coach. He should have been fired after he walked away!
A little off topic, but if anyone recorded the game, you will see in change in body language in the whole team when the 10 point first half lead disappeared. Shoulders and heads down. Frowny faces. At least they didn't fight with each other. Body language from coach to players is contagious, just like the "flu" that JA had. Just too bad and disappointing.

Reaction Score
Take this for what it's worth.

"Soon" in this business is a matter of days.

If he's jettisoned right after the AACT (which, at this point, it's obvious he's not getting canned beforehand), is that really "soon"?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It’s pretty pathetic how he gave this presser! Those of you still in his corner should watch his body language and listen to the tone of his voice...this is a man who doesn’t care about the program he gets paid $3.0 million/year to coach. He should have been fired after he walked away!
I wouldn't say his body language is of a man who "doesn't care about the program" at all that's a bit insane. To me it simply looks like a man who is nervous and can feel the heat of the spotlight beaming down on him. His demeanor recently has looked like a man who knows what the near future holds.

Reaction Score
As a guy who is an important part of UConn basketball history it was hard to watch Kevin Ollie in that press conference. What needs to happen next will not be pleasant but it has to happen.

Its pretty obvious Coach Ollie can't access talent, develop players and implement a game plan at this level. UConn plays with no heart, discipline or energy and he is unable to motivate them. Selfish play and half effort is more the rule than the exception this season. And the idea of in-game coaching adjustments seem to be just that...an idea in the abstract which is never implemented.

IMO the demeanor and response of Coach Ollie in the press conference showed he knows its over. Coach Ollie does not need to hated or ridiculed but he does need to be dismissed. I will always credit him for his contributions to UConn basketball and the 2014 National Championship. Hopefully his termination can be conducted with class and compassion but it is time to move on.
He shouldnt be hated no matter what. Say what you want about how he coaches the team but people need to remember that this guy suited up in the blue and white for 4 years and is part of the UConn family. For the amount of time he has given to our university he doesnt deserve to be hated at all.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That was a particularly pitiful display by the players. Up 10, then down 20 only to come up 4 short. If they played hard for 4 extra minutes vs another also ran team they'd win. This one is totally on them (still looking at you Larrier). If he only realized that he is hurting his pro prospects every time he shows the world that he can't dribble. If he kept everything to a single bounce jump shot, he'd convince someone to draft him in the first round.

Ollie needs to answer why he keeps recruiting guys who refuse to be coached.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It kinda felt like the press conference was over anyway.

It’s Sunday at 6:30 after a game that meant nothing. Every question possible has already been asked this season and every vaguely applicable answer has been given.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
You get half of a like for your post, and another half for your avatar. That's one hell of a kitty.

Her name is Arabella. I got her from a shelter eight years ago. She's a wonderful cat: affectionate, likes people and doesn't scratch the upholstery of my favorite chair. Here are amusing before-and-after pictures of my chair, destroyed by previous generations of cats. Click below and scroll down to "Another Cat on the Payroll":

Another Cat on the Payroll

Arabella hasn't touched that chair. Maybe she's afraid of red. Nice kitty.

Reaction Score
That was a particularly pitiful display by the players. Up 10, then down 20 only to come up 4 short. If they played hard for 4 extra minutes vs another also ran team they'd win. This one is totally on them (still looking at you Larrier). If he only realized that he is hurting his pro prospects every time he shows the world that he can't dribble. If he kept everything to a single bounce jump shot, he'd convince someone to draft him in the first round.

Ollie needs to answer why he keeps recruiting guys who refuse to be coached.
If anything this! But can’t blame players that half this board hates. The announcers called everyone but vital out until kwintin and mo came in for their guts and pride. Again, not something you see when recruiting. Not something you hear when recruiting. Enter Raphael Chillious known as one of THE premier recruiting and top talent locators in the biz. He just unpacked. Oh, he is repacking. Never mind. Great move, greater patience.

Reaction Score
I don’t take pleasure in watching anyone squander a golden opportunity, especially due to lack of effort but that’s exactly what KO did. I was done with KO the second I read the interview where Calhoun was quoted saying he wishes he was more involved in the program.

Reaction Score
If anything this! But can’t blame players that half this board hates. The announcers called everyone but vital out until kwintin and mo came in for their guts and pride. Again, not something you see when recruiting. Not something you hear when recruiting. Enter Raphael Chillious known as one of THE premier recruiting and top talent locators in the biz. He just unpacked. Oh, he is repacking. Never mind. Great move, greater patience.
how did that work out for Chillious at Washington? And he's tied to Fultz who has come up in the FBI reports. He's not irreplaceable

Reaction Score

Chillious is the Associate Head Coach. I believe he held the same position at Washington.

His team lost their last THIRTEEN games last year and UConn is 13 and 16 this year. That means his team has only won 13 of the last 42 games where he is the Associate head coach.

He may be a real good recruiter, but if the talent doesn't win ballgames that won't cut it. I honestly don't fear losing any of the coaches on this staff. The program needs a clean slate.

Reaction Score
how did that work out for Chillious at Washington? And he's tied to Fultz who has come up in the FBI reports. He's not irreplaceable
Not arguing that, in fact I’ve noted it quite a bit in light of recent events. Point being,last year recruiting was priority number one and we get the best available guy and he may not even get a chance to stock us with talent or start a new pipeline.

Reaction Score
Not arguing that, in fact I’ve noted it quite a bit in light of recent events. Point being,last year recruiting was priority number one and we get the best available guy and he may not even get a chance to stock us with talent or start a new pipeline.

probably for the best. all the top recruiters are under FBI investigation now.

Reaction Score
It’s comical to me that people still defend our 10 million dollar coach. Just open your eyes. This is arguably the most poorly coached team in America and it’s because Kevin Ollie didn’t put in the work to even be competent forget about great.

Reaction Score
It’s comical to me that people still defend our 10 million dollar coach. Just open your eyes. This is arguably the most poorly coached team in America and it’s because Kevin Ollie didn’t put in the work to even be competent forget about great.
KO was my favorite point guard and such a blessing as an assistant and his first two years as head coach. The way he has completely mailed it in after winning the championship and getting the original 5 year extension is beyond disappointing. He's recruited poorly, is repeatedly unprepared and outcoached, his teams routinely come out flat and he has pushed away Calhoun and some great assistants with decades of experience and championship experience in lieu of younger yes men with no track record of successful coaching. I really wish him well in the future but can't wait to see this embarrassment come to and end and a new hopeful rejuvenation of a once outstanding and respected program.

Reaction Score
Chillious is the Associate Head Coach. I believe he held the same position at Washington.

His team lost their last THIRTEEN games last year and UConn is 13 and 16 this year. That means his team has only won 13 of the last 42 games where he is the Associate head coach.

He may be a real good recruiter, but if the talent doesn't win ballgames that won't cut it. I honestly don't fear losing any of the coaches on this staff. The program needs a clean slate.
Ohhhhhh. I don’t want him any where near an erase board. Just on the phone and hitting the trail. Hooking that bait. Blazing that pizza. Throating that b...... you see where I’m going

C

Chief00

He answered every question asked of him but couldn't wait to get out of there. The press took it easy on him with some soft ball open ended questions. He knows it's over, press knows it's over, we know it's over, no need to pile on

I agree it’s over and no need to pile on at this point. The money is available to pay him a negotiated buyout. It’s over but I did like the hustle of the last group. If Kwintin doesn’t play hard in practice, do these other guys who don’t play hard in the game, tear it up in practice and have nothing left for the game?
I think not, this is all BS.

Reaction Score
I agree it’s over and no need to pile on at this point. The money is available to pay him a negotiated buyout. It’s over but I did like the hustle of the last group. If Kwintin doesn’t play hard in practice, do these other guys who don’t play hard in the game, tear it up in practice and have nothing left for the game?
I think not, this is all BS.
If it’s over then we should cut to the chase tomorrow and get ahead of the storm. Prepare for any departures and name killings the interim hc as he isn’t linked to any drama at the moment. It seems we haven’t had a definite coach for over ten years!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom