Why can't | The Boneyard

Why can't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The athletic department go to work 2moro at 9am and make a 20 second commercial for football tickets that is above a high school level production. Pump our schedule and the bleachers expanding the rent to make it seem like a big event is going on. Then take that and put it on news12, msgv and a few other tv stations. Showing it on the Hartford news channel doesn't help. They know about it. I want it on sny reach type channels. NYC burbs. There are a ton of md and mich alums in the area. I think we are selling ourselves extremely short with md this year. The focus is on the mich game because that ad made a big stink about it. In all honesty if some one in our ad could evaluate things correctly, he would then notice that the md game could sell 50k in expanded bleachers with the right marketing. But hey, we don't want to make money so 2moro warde will be at dunkin at 915 and by 11am we will have a new red tint on something supposed to be blue. I think we should call the government up and see if we can officially have rainbows changed to a solid blue streak but with a red outline. Because red is the best. Weeeeeeeeeee giggle dildo up some guys butt

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have lived in CT for almost 40 years. I have never met or worked with a Maryland alum here.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The athletic department go to work 2moro at 9am and make a 20 second commercial for football tickets that is above a high school level production. Pump our schedule and the bleachers expanding the rent to make it seem like a big event is going on. Then take that and put it on news12, msgv and a few other tv stations. Showing it on the Hartford news channel doesn't help. They know about it. I want it on sny reach type channels. NYC burbs. There are a ton of md and mich alums in the area. I think we are selling ourselves extremely short with md this year. The focus is on the mich game because that ad made a big stink about it. In all honesty if some one in our ad could evaluate things correctly, he would then notice that the md game could sell 50k in expanded bleachers with the right marketing. But hey, we don't want to make money so 2moro warde will be at dunkin at 915 and by 11am we will have a new red tint on something supposed to be blue. I think we should call the government up and see if we can officially have rainbows changed to a solid blue streak but with a red outline. Because red is the best. Weeeeeeeeeee giggle dildo up some guys butt

I think the biggest reason they won't take your suggestion is that they aren't morons.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
For comedy relief, I really wish they would put HFD in charge of UConn Athletics for one year.

Yeah. Why have him run the whole university. He might not have gotten the $1.5 billion susan did but you know he would always have the right color tie on.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think the biggest reason they won't take your suggestion is that they aren't morons.
More cowbell

Morons hang out on a island with the following acc teams. Duke, gtech, bc and Miami. We hung out with wake Forrest. We're not morons. We're what ever is below morons.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Is it just knee-jerk reaction to HFD posts at this point? Why would marketing ourselves decisively and strongly in NYC and New England be a bad thing? A commercial on SNY and NESN would make all the sense in the world. If we don't fight for ourselves who the hell else will? We don't become NYC's and New England's team just because we say so on the Boneyard. Go out and grab those territories.

Reaction Score
Maybe we sold 25,000 ST already. I'm thinking that we are there and will be at 30,000 this year. Just surmising.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is it just knee-jerk reaction to HFD posts at this point? Why would marketing ourselves decisively and strongly in NYC and New England be a bad thing? A commercial on SNY and NESN would make all the sense in the world. If we don't fight for ourselves who the hell else will? We don't become NYC's and New England's team just because we say so on the Boneyard. Go out and grab those territories.

Yeah somewhat. He's a about it and ignores the fact advertising on those networks isn't free and can someone guarantee an ROI. It's not as though the budget is limitless like he acts it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe we sold 25,000 ST already. I'm thinking that we are there and will be at 30,000 this year. Just surmising.

Based on my purchase today and the options I ran through. Not close yet.

Reaction Score
It's a good question about using the extra seats for Maryland as well. Why sell ourselves short?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For comedy relief, I really wish they would put HFD in charge of UConn Athletics for one year.
atomic-bomb-o.gif

Reaction Score

Thought it was coherent, constructive and of course imaginative. I need a drink. But guess what? I anticipate coming to the board more than I have in months. Don't know if that says more about Dan or me.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing that has me quite irritated at the moment is that I have yet to see any advertisement for UConn football tickets down hers (Stamford). On occasion there is a short blurb about UConn athletics on SNY and I did see one ESPN2 commercial around the time of the spring game (at ~ 5:00 FWIW) but all in all there really hasn't been anything to reach out to potential ticket buyers down here.

As an aside (and in my eyes, merely coincidental) a new hire started today at my company. His arrival makes four Maryland grads in our office (they now outnumber the three UConn grads).

Reaction Score
What's up with the Dunkin Donuts iced coffee cups? I get one in Newington and there is the new Husky...it looks great on the cup and it's growing on me and then I go to buy one in Fairfield and there's no Husky. What's up with that? I guess this marketing theme is not sinking in...typical and annoying...missing out big time down there...maybe UConn should take some hints from their future commissioner JD, grow a set and try to penetrate some new markets.

Reaction Score
What's up with the Dunkin Donuts iced coffee cups? I get one in Newington and there is the new Husky...it looks great on the cup and it's growing on me and then I go to buy one in Fairfield and there's no Husky. What's up with that? I guess this marketing theme is not sinking in...typical and annoying...missing out big time down there...maybe UConn should take some hints from their future commissioner JD, grow a set and try to penetrate some new markets.

Making a huge mistake if they ignore ANY part of the state or NYC.

Reaction Score
Getting ads on YES and NESN would be awesome, if not highly unlikely. Think about how many sports bars have TVs tuned into those two channels 24/7. Someone gets really drunk, sees an ad and buys two rows of chairback seats for everyone at the bar.

Reaction Score
Is that a DD thing or a UConn thing?

I was going to say earlier that is a DD thing. Uconn probably wouldn't have any say in what store gets what inventory.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
HFD. Are you really proposing that UConn market one game to Maryland 'fans'. So spend a bunch of money so that Maryland fans come to one UConn game?

That's an easy sell: Hey Maryland fans, your team has been 6-16 the past 2 years. They are in a league with Boston College, but you better drive from Boston to Hartford for this rare opportunity to see greatness.

Seriously do you think television advertising makes Maryland's record the last two years go away? If you sold another 5,000 tickets to Maryland fans you grossed maybe $175,000. Why would anyone invest resources in that - maybe if you spend a ton you can gross a small amount.

All in the end to have more visiting fans in you stadium? Yeah that will make things better.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I guess I have gotten used to not taking HFD literally word for word. Usually there's a real solid nugget or idea buried under the froth and foam and I focus on that.

(no offense, HFD... Haha )

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
HFD. Are you really proposing that UConn market one game to Maryland 'fans'. So spend a bunch of money so that Maryland fans come to one UConn game?

That's an easy sell: Hey Maryland fans, your team has been 6-16 the past 2 years. They are in a league with Boston College, but you better drive from Boston to Hartford for this rare opportunity to see greatness.

Seriously do you think television advertising makes Maryland's record the last two years go away? If you sold another 5,000 tickets to Maryland fans you grossed maybe $175,000. Why would anyone invest resources in that - maybe if you spend a ton you can gross a small amount.

All in the end to have more visiting fans in you stadium? Yeah that will make things better.
Unless I glossed over it, I don't see where he's saying market to MD fans exclusively.

My "translation" : We know enough to market Michigan, and that's fine. Could do more but ok. But why not pump up other games too? Get the word out in Fairfield county, NYC, New England, act B1G, create the demand that would necessitate adding more seats for MD, too - that's a positive impression on a league we aspire to be in. It's not easy, but we aren't even trying right now. Without advertising more, we might not even sell out MD, and that would be a much worse spot to be in.

Reaction Score
Unless I glossed over it, I don't see where he's saying market to MD fans exclusively.

My "translation" : We know enough to market Michigan, and that's fine. Could do more but ok. But why not pump up other games too? Get the word out in Fairfield county, NYC, New England, act B1G, create the demand that would necessitate adding more seats for MD, too - that's a positive impression on a league we aspire to be in. It's not easy, but we aren't even trying right now. Without advertising more, we might not even sell out MD, and that would be a much worse spot to be in.

"There are a ton of md and mich alums in the area. I think we are selling ourselves extremely short with md this year. The focus is on the mich game because that ad made a big stink about it. In all honesty if some one in our ad could evaluate things correctly, he would then notice that the md game could sell 50k in expanded bleachers with the right marketing."

Sounds like he's at a minimum implying that we market to MD alums in the area.

For the record, I think it's a good idea to add the additional seats to the MD game and market the return of Edsall as much as you can. But the idea that there's enough MD fans in the area to fill the extra demand.........yeah I don't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom