Why can't our bush league UCONN reporters do a story similar to this FSU one? | The Boneyard

Why can't our bush league UCONN reporters do a story similar to this FSU one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That is exactly what the WVU was reporting.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Swofford the chess master.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Swofford the chess master.

That wasn't chess, that is called a Commissioner doing his job. But, as a long time fan of a school in the Big East I understand where the confusion comes from.

pj

Reaction Score
There was a pretty good story just last week, I'm having trouble finding a link though.

To answer your question, when sources have good news to spread and want to demonstrate that they've accomplished something valuable, they go to reporters and prepare the story for the reporters. It is easy. But when the subject is failure and difficulty, getting information is like pulling teeth. That's especially true in a situation that is still fluid, where too much talking can poison any future deal. FSU figures their situation is settled and they can talk to reporters. UConn's situation isn't and the less said, the better.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The real story seems to be how FSU and some other of the ACC football-centric contingent outmaneuvered the Tobacco Road contingent, who we know was in favor of UConn. As PJ noted, people who got what they want are likely to talk - that would include DeFillipo, Jurich, other presidents - while people who didn't get what they want are less likely to. Also note that the Jurich's and others who are talking may be taking a few liberties with the truth. History is written by the winners. UConn fans want to know whether (or have already made up their minds that) if Manuel and Herbst had been on the mainland instead of networking at the paradise jam with Wake Forest things would have turned out differently. I don't know if we can get that story, my suspicion is that whether they were on the phone calling from the USVI or if they were on the phone calling from Storrs, the FSU faction would have still prevailed in the ACC political tussle. And as much as we might want to get the story one way or the other in print, Dez Conner, Ed Daingeaut, and John Silver don't have to contacts in the ACC and its schools to do that story.

Reaction Score
UConn fans want to know whether (or have already made up their minds that) if Manuel and Herbst had been on the mainland instead of networking at the paradise jam with Wake Forest things would have turned out differently. I don't know if we can get that story, my suspicion is that whether they were on the phone calling from the USVI or if they were on the phone calling from Storrs, the FSU faction would have still prevailed in the ACC political tussle.

This is why I think its totally wrong to say we are not in the ACC because our AD and Pres were on "vacation" instead of lobbying like Louisville. ACC had to keep the football powers happy and unfortunately the perception of UConn is weak in football and to keep FSU/Clemson/Va Tech etc happt they needed to bring in a percieved football power. This alone is why Ville is in and we are not. Unfortunately reality says we are as good as ville but this all comes down to perception.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Perception, and maybe a little bit of geography (which also influences perception).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Has Louisville ever strung together 5 good seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom