Why aren't we in Big East for all sports -football? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why aren't we in Big East for all sports -football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think UConn would be a great addition and a hedge against the ESPN-led hegemony to declare MSG as its sovereign territory.

However, I think UConn senior administrators were hesitant to walk away from the AAC money while Big East officials were suspicious that UConn would still jump at the next offer that came down the road. How loyal would Storrs be to the Big East if the Big 12 called tomorrow?

As a result, the ESPN/ACC has UConn where they want them so there is no need to add a school right now, and programs will suffer as a result.

As to the post above asking why Georgetown and Villanova have women's rowing, these are the only two Big East schools along or adjacent to a major river where rowing programs typically flourish and there were insufficient BE schools with a program. Georgetown and Villanova have men's rowing but it is not an NCAA sport.

You are right in that ESPN and the ACC are coming after MSG hard. Look for them to secure MSG in 2016 a year before the NBE deal is up. Losing MSG will be problematic for the NBE and take them down a notch in terms of national prominence.

Reaction Score
As to the post above asking why Georgetown and Villanova have women's rowing, these are the only two Big East schools along or adjacent to a major river where rowing programs typically flourish and there were insufficient BE schools with a program. Georgetown and Villanova have men's rowing but it is not an NCAA sport.
I wasn't asking. I was just pointing out there's more to the AAC than some people perceive in relation to the Big East.

In the end, we don't fit in the AAC. But all schools in the AAC share a common goal. To get the duckk out.

Reaction Score
Nelson, I think you just don't get it. UConn is one of the top college basketball schools in the country, arguably top 2-3, certainly top 10. That isn't arguable. We're clearly the top womens program, not even top 2-3, clear #1. And what did that get us? Who knows whether we'll ever get out of the AAC or whether the AAC will ever develop a higher level of football. Clearly better than the MAC now. But if we are to have any hope of going forward, this is the only option we have. The basketball side is eh, but realistically so is the Big East. Probably a little better. I'd put Memphis, UConn, Cincy and Temple against the top 4, I guess Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Villanova/Butler(though who knows what they'll do) any day. Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall DePaul are what they are and while one of them will likely emerge as the best of the rest, they'll never be much more than they are.
What Nelson gets is football has little allure to the average UConn basketball fan. Most of the people on this board are not representative of the average fan. If Nelson made his suggestion to a general Connecticut sports forum it would probably be a popular solution.
UConn will not go to the Big East soon as they have set a model up for their
conference that we simply do not fit.
Rules are made to be broken and if the Big East fears its position weakening they will bend their own rules. That's down the road a bit. That's also real life. Survival is the most powerful instinct.
What Uconns reaction to a Big East invite will also be dependent on our desperation. The landscape will change over the next 5 years.
The onr thing that bothers me about this board is any suggestions for change is met by the chorus of naysayers who offer nothing in return.
I made an observation that adding one more Eastern basketball power as an associate member will make the AAC a top BB. conference. That was quickly compared to the failed Old Big East model. That is pretty much the dumbest analogy ever.
Especially with Navy as a football only. Guess what kids associate membership is present everywhere. Its s practical solution.
Since it looks like we're in this purgatory (Limbo is eternal)for a while creative solutions for the betterment of our situation would seem appropriate for discussion. Simply saying it won't work is for losers.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are right in that ESPN and the ACC are coming after MSG hard. Look for them to secure MSG in 2016 a year before the NBE deal is up. Losing MSG will be problematic for the NBE and take them down a notch in terms of national prominence.

Here's the thing...why would MSG flip for the ACC?

The ACC won't want to do it every year and MSG already has an interest in seeing that the new Big East succeeds. (You'd think MSG would enjoy selling some St. John's tickets during the season...)

Like the oft-talked about, but completely imaginary ACC Network, I think MSG is not about to roll for the ACC. Enjoy Brooklyn, kids.

Reaction Score
How much of the ACC rights are owned by the ACC? Don't ESPN own almost all of the TV right's? Doesn't Raycom (Woffards brother) own what ESPN don't?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Um what Eastern basketball power is available?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You sort that out and I will try to determine the significance of the AAC's women's rowing affiliates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You sort that out and I will try to determine the significance of the AAC's women's rowing affiliates.

Well Coach K is awfully upset about Notre Dame. I think Duke would love a league unencumbered by valuable programs who don't join in all sports. Let me know what rowing synergies exist.

Reaction Score
What Nelson gets is football has little allure to the average UConn basketball fan. Most of the people on this board are not representative of the average fan. If Nelson made his suggestion to a general Connecticut sports forum it would probably be a popular solution.
UConn will not go to the Big East soon as they have set a model up for their
conference that we simply do not fit.
Rules are made to be broken and if the Big East fears its position weakening they will bend their own rules. That's down the road a bit. That's also real life. Survival is the most powerful instinct.

I don't disagree with you, and if you are willing to accept being a mid-major program in perpetuity, and I think most UConn basketball fans actually are in a funny way, just read how they think we can still be comparable to Gonzaga or Butler in the future when 2 years ago we were saying we ought to be viewed as bluebloods like Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky, then it is a perfectly reasonable approach to take. Play football in the MAC with Toledo and Miami of Ohio, and basketball in the new Big East. And at the end of the day, in the AAC we might end up as a permanent member of the mid-major class anyway. But one way is guaranteed to lead there. The NCAA basketball championship for the past 25 years has been the purview of the major conferences. They have too many advantages if they decide they want to play at that level. And the new Big East is based on nostalgia that somehow an upstart league of mostly mid-major level programs can turn back the clock to 1985. Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Anyone in the Atlantic 10 like VCU. Conference USA also has a few historically good BB available.
The A10 conference has 4 or 5 teams that would upgrade AAC basketball. We need a good BB program in 2014-2015 to replace Louisville. Rutgers could be replaced in basketball by Fairfield Prep.
Maybe power was two strong a word but a top 50 team would do the trick.

I wasn't thinking Duke or even Georgetown although if the new big east fails Georgetown and St Johns will jump in a heartbeat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone in the Atlantic 10 like VCU. Conference USA also has a few historically good BB available.
The A10 conference has 4 or 5 teams that would upgrade AAC basketball. We need a good BB program in 2014-2015 to replace Louisville. Rutgers could be replaced in basketball by Fairfield Prep.
Maybe power was two strong a word but a top 50 team would do the trick.

I wasn't thinking Duke or even Georgetown although if the new big east fails Georgetown and St Johns will jump in a heartbeat.

WTF are you taking about? The Big East has a contract more than 2x as rich as the AAC. Please do tell what CUSA historically good basketball teams are available. A-10? VCU?

There is no top 50 program available. None. Zero. Nil.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing...why would MSG flip for the ACC?

The ACC won't want to do it every year and MSG already has an interest in seeing that the new Big East succeeds. (You'd think MSG would enjoy selling some St. John's tickets during the season...)

Like the oft-talked about, but completely imaginary ACC Network, I think MSG is not about to roll for the ACC. Enjoy Brooklyn, kids.

There will be some resistance, but it won't come from tobacco road this time. Let's say the ACC is really after a NYC presence, and they do add UCONN. You don't think MSG would want to host a championship featuring UCONN, Syracuse, UNC, Duke, PITT, Louisville, ND, Miami, (even. . .BC), etc.? Sure, G'Town. Nova and St. Johns have a bit of juice, but Butler and Creighton aren't going to move the needle in NYC. And I've already said this, the gap between *college* basketball and *college* football is a lot narrower in NYC than other parts of the country. I think the NBE is at risk here.

Reaction Score
BTW, I say the above with absolute contempt for the ACC (but it is still probably true). The Big East Championship was an Event, second only to the NCAA's. It had a following beyond the Big East conference. Have you watched the other championships? ACC? B1G? PAC? Absolutely boring. It was a shame to see it come to an end. I think MSG wants to see it move forward by partnering with the NBE, but it won't be the same. Not even close.

Reaction Score
WTF are you taking about? The Big East has a contract more than 2x as rich as the AAC. Please do tell what CUSA historically good basketball teams are available. A-10? VCU?
What's wrong with VCU top 25 last year great coach. Basketball is their identity
add them to UConn Temple Memphis and Cinn and its a step up in basketball

ECU Tulane SMU CFU Houston or even SFU.
Basketball is an afterthought tor these wannabe football schools.
So your trying to say this group is better.
Based on what critia does VCU not improve the basketball league.
even Dayton or St Joe's (they have been down for a couple of years

There is no top 50 program available. None. Zero. Nil.
Define top 50? VCU was top 25 last year. St Joe's and Dayton Also have recent success and basketball is important to them.
teams drift in an out annually.
The Georgetown thing was obviously not serious.
I know the Big East has a good contract but that's a Fox gamble that may or may not payoff. Will that money be there if the conference fails.
My point was any team is available if the money is right.There is no loyality in CR

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Define top 50? VCU was top 25 last year. St Joe's and Dayton Also have recent success and basketball is important to them.
teams drift in an out annually.
The Georgetown thing was obviously not serious.
I know the Big East has a good contract but that's a Fox gamble that may or may not payoff. Will that money be there if the conference fails.
My point was any team is available if the money is right.There is no loyality in CR

Top 50 programs all in. History, fan base, forward expectations. VCU is not even above average in the AAC. UConn, Memphis, Temple and Cincinnati are light years ahead. Houston and UCF have better programs.

So you could argue VCU could be the 7th best program in the AAC. Why exactly would you want them?

The Fox money is guaranteed for years. Even if it doesn't work out unless the AAC explodes they won't have the money to blow them away and those schools just left because of football. Why would any of them want to be an affiliate member in a football league when they all share a religious affiliation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There will be some resistance, but it won't come from tobacco road this time. Let's say the ACC is really after a NYC presence, and they do add UCONN. You don't think MSG would want to host a championship featuring UCONN, Syracuse, UNC, Duke, PITT, Louisville, ND, Miami, (even. . .BC), etc.? Sure, G'Town. Nova and St. Johns have a bit of juice, but Butler and Creighton aren't going to move the needle in NYC. And I've already said this, the gap between *college* basketball and *college* football is a lot narrower in NYC than other parts of the country. I think the NBE is at risk here.

You skid off the road when you throw UConn in the mix.

They're not going to.

Reaction Score
You skid off the road when you throw UConn in the mix.

They're not going to.

There are hurdles, but I don't think the door is completely closed. But, OK, back out UCONN. You still have Syracuse, PITT, Notre Dame, Louisville, North Carolina, Duke, Miami, etc. vs. NBE. I left off Marquette before, which has held its own since joining the BE, but they are not a big draw in NYC. I still think the MSG deal is at risk long term.

Reaction Score
Top 50 programs all in. History, fan base, forward expectations. VCU is not even above average in the AAC. UConn, Memphis, Temple and Cincinnati are light years ahead. Houston and UCF have better programs.

So you could argue VCU could be the 7th best program in the AAC. Why exactly would you want them?

The Fox money is guaranteed for years. Even if it doesn't work out unless the AAC explodes they won't have the money to blow them away and those schools just left because of football. Why would any of them want to be an affiliate member in a football league when they all share a religious affiliation.
Please drop the Georgetown thing.
It was meant as a extreme analogy for the loyality to your peers in conference realignment. Apparently it missed its intended purpose.
Mia Culpa.
UFC Houston and UCF are better than VCU!
Either you meant this as hyperbole or,
The AAC must be some powerhouse basketball conference.
If last years 23 rd ranked team with one of the country's most desired coaches is the 7th best team in the AAC. :Then our new home
Is hands down the best in the country. Recruiting in this world should be easier. The TV rights to this super conference will be out of sight. I vote tor you as AAC's PR director.**
Sorry I'm prone to fits of digression.
back to reality : Houston did make the NIT last year with a losing in conference record. They lost to Tulane (yes the same Tulane whose addition was so scandalous that the Catholics walked) on the road.
Whaler as a former Whaler fan myself I respect your opinion however in your last post you just might have gotten it wrong.
No need to back tract. In our quest to be right we all make errors of enthusiasm.
We are all United in our desire to see our team suceed. (Fishy I'm not sure about as I believe the old Fishy has been abducted by aliens possible from far off planet Syracuse)
Good luck and no hard feelings.
Please don't respond as I have this insatiable need to have the last word. A character flaw which seems to be epedemic on the BY.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Please drop the Georgetown thing.
It was meant as a extreme analogy for the loyality to your peers in conference realignment. Apparently it missed its intended purpose.
Mia Culpa.
UFC Houston and UCF are better than VCU!
Either you meant this as hyperbole or,
The AAC must be some powerhouse basketball conference.
If last years 23 rd ranked team with one of the country's most desired coaches is the 7th best team in the AAC. :Then our new home
Is hands down the best in the country. Recruiting in this world should be easier. The TV rights to this super conference will be out of sight. I vote tor you as AAC's PR director.
Sorry I'm prone to fits of digression.
back to reality : Houston did make the NIT last year with a losing in conference record. They lost to Tulane (yes the same Tulane whose addition was so scandalous that the Catholics walked) on the road.
Whaler as a former Whaler fan myself I respect your opinion however in your last post you just might have gotten it wrong.
No need to back tract. In our quest to be right we all make errors of enthusiasm.
We are all United in our desire to see our team suceed. (Fishy I'm not sure about as I believe the old Fishy has been abducted by aliens possible from far off planet Syracuse)
Good luck and no hard feelings.
Please don't respond as I have this insatiable need to have the last word. A character flaw which seems to be epedemic on the BY.

You are way overrating current performance and ignoring the potential programs have. VCU is a product of one excellent coach. They are ok, but nowhere near good enough to consider as an addition. The Big East didn't even want them and went in much better directions with Butler and Creighton.

Reaction Score
You are way overrating current performance and ignoring the potential programs have. VCU is a product of one excellent coach. They are ok, but nowhere near good enough to consider as an addition. The Big East didn't even want them and went in much better directions with Butler and Creighton.
VCU is a state school with 31,000 students culturally not a fit for the Big East model
Butler has less than 5,000 is private with a Christain based heritage
Creighton is a Jesuit School with less than 8,000
The Big East has a model as they feel they are at a disadvantage against large state schools.

You can make the one coach claim against almost everyone including UConn. Not saying its true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01