Why are there no more dominant big east scorers? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why are there no more dominant big east scorers?

Reaction Score
Combination of a lot of things. Balanced 3-point open shooters as mentioned above I think is a factor.

And frankly the conference is lacking in players with high-end self creation this season. It's why there are very few NBA prospects in the league. The conference was not recruiting all that well a few years ago and so we're in an individual talent upperclassmen dearth. A lot of the best players from teams other than us in the conference are transfers (Kolek, Hopkins, Boum, Scheierman, Nunge, Soriano, Carter, Croswell, Daniels, Bates, etc. etc.). But you don't tend to transfer if you're a high quality self-creator, unless you're up-transferring. And generally those guys were at that level they were for a reason, and though they might be really good players, it's tough to up-transfer and then dominate with a high usage rate.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Compared to other leagues, seems to be a trend. ACC leader Appleby-Wake 18.5, B12 Wilson 19.9, SEC B. Miller-Alabama 19.5 only the B10 has multiple 20 ppg scores.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hear you but I don't think Bouknight scoring 40 in a loss is a good example. That was Cole's 4th career game at UConn and he wasn't ready yet, he shot 2-13 and missed the ft's to ice the win. Tyrese also was awful and had only 2 points. We needed the 40 from Bouk and it took a major fluke for it not to be a win.
Yeah, but that's kind of the point. When one guy is taking that many shots it's because the offense isn't working. When the offense isn't working, you don't often win. Wilson was shooting so often in the KS Ls in part because Harris was doing absolutely nothing. I'm not saying the guy taking the shots is the cause of the issues, he's a symptom. It's usually going to be the one guy that can attempt to carry a dysfunctional offense, like Bouk did.

Sometimes it's the only way to win. Like Tedy whatever at NM State last year. If he doesn't have an insane game there is no way his team beats UConn.

Reaction Score
Splitting hairs but in conference games the numbers are a little higher. Hopkins at 18.1 and Hawkins is actually 2nd at 17.6.
ED842D9A-4415-45D9-8FFF-25911DF18DAA.jpeg

Reaction Score
Currently Adama leads all big east scorers at 16.8 a game tied with Hopkins this include non conference games. In the last 20 years the top scorer has been below 19 twice and never below 18. Often times there a multiple players in the 20s. Do we think this is just an odd year or is this indicative of a pattern with NIL, new transfer rules, etc?
Hawkins 20+ points a game if he returns next year. Easy. Sanogo scores 20+ plus this year if the BE wasn't a nightly Royal Rumble.

Reaction Score
I’m answering your thread title “Why are there no more dominant Big East scorers”?
……….and the reason is there are no more dominant Big East coaches. Plain and simple. No more Rollie, Jim Calhoun, Rick Pitino, big John Thompson, Rick Barnes, Nose Picker before his nose picker years, Carnasecca, PJ Carlisemo, George Blaney and Raff. Imagine three Big East teams at the Final Four like in 1985.

Doesn't even make sense. The leading scorer in the country plays for Mike Davis.

But the quality of coaching in the Big East as a general rule would be pretty far down the list of things to complaint about.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
no game changing talent in the conference compared to other power leagues.

big east is just made up of a bunch of hard working, three and four year low skill players.

the last big east player to be drafted in the top 3 was Otto Porter in 2013.

Reaction Score

big east is just made up of a bunch of hard working, three and four year low skill players.

And the last Big East player to be drafted anywhere was Tyrese Martin :D

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m answering your thread title “Why are there no more dominant Big East scorers”?
……….and the reason is there are no more dominant Big East coaches. Plain and simple. No more Rollie, Jim Calhoun, Rick Pitino, big John Thompson, Rick Barnes, Nose Picker before his nose picker years, Carnasecca, PJ Carlisemo, George Blaney and Raff. Imagine three Big East teams at the Final Four like in 1985.
Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A big “what if” for me this season, is if Hawkins never had his concussion, would he be averaging 20 points already? Cause I think it’s pretty obvious it took him some time to get back at 100%. I truly believe he’d be leading the conference in scoring, and be a no doubt late lottery pick. Jmo.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The entire premise of this thread, that a single player scoring 20+ ppg is a positive, is wrong. Concentrated scoring is a sign of weak talent on a team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Give me depth and defense for the max Alex

And averages are averages, stuck somewhere between the lows and the highs. Weird how that happens with everything in life :)

Lastly, "it happens"

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If Hawk plays a junior year and remains healthy, he challenges Ray's 23.5 points per game, also as a Junior

A Patrick Ewing playing 4 years will never happen again

Reaction Score
The entire premise of this thread, that a single player scoring 20+ ppg is a positive, is wrong. Concentrated scoring is a sign of weak talent on a team.
Like with Magic in his freshman and sophomore years at Michigan or Larry Bird at Indiana State? Or Maya Moore in her years at UConn?

Reaction Score

Why did you just pick the top 3? Why didn't you point out the number of lottery picks from the Big East in the last 10 years? Is it because it would trash the point you're trying to make?

2013: Otto Porter, Georgetown #3
Steve Adams, Pitt #12
2014: Doug McDermott, Creighton #11
2016: Kris Dunn, Providence #5
2018: Mikal Bridges, Villanova #10
2021: James Bouknight, UConn #11

kobe

Reaction Score
Why did you just pick the top 3? Why didn't you point out the number of lottery picks from the Big East in the last 10 years? Is it because it would trash the point you're trying to make?

2013: Otto Porter, Georgetown #3
Steve Adams, Pitt #12
2014: Doug McDermott, Creighton #11
2016: Kris Dunn, Providence #5
2018: Mikal Bridges, Villanova #10
2021: James Bouknight, UConn #11
that's absolutely why.

also 6 lottery picks over an 8 year period for an entire conference is pretty bad.

the real, actual conferences have multiple each season.

in disputing my obviously cherry picked numbers, you somehow made the little east look worse.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
that's absolutely why.

also 6 lottery picks over an 8 year period for an entire conference is pretty bad.

in disputing my obviously cherry picked numbers, you somehow made the little east look worse.
You used to be semi tolerant now you are becoming a total DB
And Cinci is going anywhere in their new conference when the coach they need is at UCLA. Cinci will be the BC of that conference

kobe

Reaction Score
Does Cincinnati still have a basketball team?

Well, other than Xavier?
cincinnati has won an ncaa tournament game more recently than both xavier and uconn. #littleeast

(dont ask me who the coach was for that win)

Reaction Score
that's absolutely why.

Congrats to you for also leaving the American for a real conference. I see it hasn’t gone to your head.

Also, congratulations on your 9-19 record in a very deep, tough & talented American

Reaction Score
I’m just kidding @kobe. Lottery picks for major conferences & programs should be something done frequently. Like the 2 Cincinnati lotto picks since 1970. Most recent being 2000.

kobe

Reaction Score
Congrats to you for also leaving the American for a real conference. I see it hasn’t gone to your head.

Also, congratulations on your 9-19 record in a very deep, tough & talented American
7ch6ia.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom