Why Aidan Mahaney could replace Cam Spencer as fan favorite | The Boneyard

Why Aidan Mahaney could replace Cam Spencer as fan favorite

Reaction Score
Article from Borges.

Mahaney's got more than a little of that same fire.

"Definitely fair to say," he told CT Insider on Wednesday. "And I think there will be a lot more this year. (Dan) Hurley encourages it a lot more than we do at Saint Mary's. And I like that. I like that a lot. I've seen the way Cam plays, and I really, really like that."

Alternate access:

Why transfer Aidan Mahaney could replace Cam Spencer as UConn men's basketball fan favorite

Reaction Score
I just hope he doesn't force it. He doesn't have to try and make himself act and be a clone of Cam. Be himself and if that comes with a some similar attitude, then great. But trying to be or exactly replace someone never works out.

Nor should we hold that expectation of him.

Reaction Score
I fully expect him to replace Cam in being the focus of animosity for opposing fans.

Reaction Score
I love that he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder, not only about getting to win at a high level, but about his individual performance not living up to what it could have this past season.

Reaction Score
Because they have crafty games that reminds every every unathletic fan of their own game?
I am not the quickest off the dribble. I thought I'd try Larry Bird's jab step on dudes in pick up games...didn't work. Actually, it was enormously ineffective. Ah, they make it look so easy to be unathletic.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Recruiting character first is going to be the new trend in college sports. Not to get too preachy but kinda nice that character and values is winning championships over giant bags.
I agree that it is proven to be the key to success, especially in a team sport like basketball.

Not to sound too philosophical, but in order to identify other people of high character, one has to be of high character themselves.

And most college big time coaches are scumbags so they won’t be able to successfully replicate the character recruiting Hurley is building his dynasty on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A TON of great quotes, and he says all the right things. He seems to know what he's "signed up for", and has embraced the challenges. Really excited to see how he plays and meshes.

I love that the staff talks a lot about this - the culture, character, etc. Of course the goal is to win, and win NC's, but HOW you do it matters, and everyone involved with the team has embraced that.

Obviously a completely different situation his coming in - we have lost at least 4, and possibly 5, of our starters from last season depending on Karaban. Last season we had starters Newton and Karaban on board coming back. It will be great to see how this "newer" team meshes, who starts and who becomes a core bench player, and how they all work together.

As a few have said, I hope he just focuses on being himself, having that "sophomore leap" he feels he didn't see at St. Mary's, and let the rest take care of itself...

Reaction Score
I love that he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder, not only about getting to win at a high level, but about his individual performance not living up to what it could have this past season.
I think that is great as well. But we don't want him trying to over compensate for his performance from last year. Why? Because then he will start forcing the issue to the detriment of the team. UConn has the best coaching staff in the country and I am sure they will let Aidan know that he shouldn't overdo anything.

Reaction Score
I think that is great as well. But we don't want him trying to over compensate for his performance from last year. Why? Because then he will start forcing the issue to the detriment of the team. UConn has the best coaching staff in the country and I am sure they will let Aidan know that he shouldn't overdo anything.
Yeah I'm not worried about that at all -- he's a team guy who knows he's coming here to be part of something bigger. But he's motivated to up his own game and show what he can do within that team concept.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not worried about that at all -- he's a team guy who knows he's coming here to be part of something bigger. But he's motivated to up his own game and show what he can do within that team concept.

Me neither. No evidence exists that would indicate that’s in the top 1,000 things to worry about.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
A TON of great quotes, and he says all the right things. He seems to know what he's "signed up for", and has embraced the challenges. Really excited to see how he plays and meshes.

I love that the staff talks a lot about this - the culture, character, etc. Of course the goal is to win, and win NC's, but HOW you do it matters, and everyone involved with the team has embraced that.

Obviously a completely different situation his coming in - we have lost at least 4, and possibly 5, of our starters from last season depending on Karaban. Last season we had starters Newton and Karaban on board coming back. It will be great to see how this "newer" team meshes, who starts and who becomes a core bench player, and how they all work together.

As a few have said, I hope he just focuses on being himself, having that "sophomore leap" he feels he didn't see at St. Mary's, and let the rest take care of itself...
You need to update your sig!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Paraphrasing, you cant hope to replace Cam Spencer, you can only hope to emulate him.

;)

Reaction Score
He was the most important get of the summer (unless we also get AK back)

Reaction Score
Watch Cam’s tapes and copy. Not simple, not easy but 80% Cam would be great.

Reaction Score
He's going to be very good here; like we said when Cam came here, Aiden is just a perfect fit.

Reaction Score
Fall Running GIF by UltimateTagAU

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom