Who's your list for next HC? | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
I think these are two disparate issues. If we win 4 games Spanos should be given the key to the city and put in the hall of fame immediately. Anyone not see that show last week?? Is he the long term solution; maybe, maybe not.
Honestly, the schedule this year was set up to get 4 or 5 wins this year: Holy Cross, Yale, UMass, Vanderbilt, Middle Tennessee, Army, ... So, I don't think it would be shocking to still get 3 or 4 wins this year, unless the QB play remains poor or the team gives up. I don't think you make a head coaching decision based on what happens the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
Really only one man for the job. He played college ball at the top level, natural charisma, not afraid of the spotlight, well connected in Florida. He would bring instant positive attention to the program.

Coach Johnson

New team motto: "Know Your Damn Role!"
Who is "Coach Johnson"??????

Reaction Score
Honestly, the schedule this year was set up to get 4 or 5 wins this year: Holy Cross, Yale, UMass, Vanderbilt, Middle Tennessee, Army, ... So, I don't think it would be shocking to still get 3 or 4 wins this year, unless the QB play remains poor or the team gives up. I don't think you make a head coaching decision based on what happens the rest of the year.
I do not get this at all. Perhaps in our minds we “assumed” that we were “set up” because we had gotten “bigger and stronger”. We just were easily beaten by an FCS team at home after being embarrassed in a display of epic offensive and defensive futility in week 1. So while hope springs eternal preseason, I just do not understand how anyone still thinks we are in any way set up to win any games

(and before anyone asks, long time season ticket holder who will be at the game Saturday until the final whistle)

Reaction Score
I listened to it. They did not do any homework about UConn Football. It was weak.
Yea i just listened. Any list that includes Kevin Kelly isn't a serious one. Also made some insane conclusions off of a misleading clip that went viral about the entire fanbase and university.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I listened to it. They did not do any homework about UConn Football. It was weak.
Summary of their thoughts (not mine):
  • UConn should probably stay FBS but look for a G5 home for football. Indy w/o a bowl tie-in is an issue.
  • Need an energetic program builder
  • Previous HC experience
  • Ideally from MAC or CAA, good candidates also in FCS. Get someone familiar with the area (Northeast in general)
  • Can work the xfer portal for short term fixes

Candidates specifically mentioned:
  • Larry Porter (!). One of the hosts said he'd received input from other coaches that Porter would have an easy time getting decent coordinators as he has a good rep within the game, despite a crap 3-21 record as HC (Memphis).
  • Harasmyiak
  • Cignetti
  • Danny Rocco (who's 61)
  • Kevin Kelley
  • Derek Dooley, whom the hosts say wants to get back into college

I agree that the podcast was relatively weak regarding background, and made some sweeping generalizations about the program (it's only their third podcast), but they got enough right and offered some names we haven't really discussed here, and at least a little bit of insight on why they should be considered. Which is better than most of the local reporting I've read that's been posted here.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Summary of their thoughts (not mine):
  • UConn should probably stay FBS but look for a G5 home for football. Indy w/o a bowl tie-in is an issue.
  • Need an energetic program builder
  • Previous HC experience
  • Ideally from MAC or CAA, good candidates also in FCS. Get someone familiar with the area (Northeast in general)
  • Can work the xfer portal for short term fixes

Candidates specifically mentioned:
  • Larry Porter (!). One of the hosts said he'd received input from other coaches that Porter would have an easy time getting decent coordinators as he has a good rep within the game, despite a crap 3-21 record as HC (Memphis).
  • Harasmyiak
  • Cignetti
  • Danny Rocco (who's 61)
  • Kevin Kelley
  • Derek Dooley, whom the hosts say wants to get back into college

I agree that the podcast was relatively weak regarding background, and made some sweeping generalizations about the program (it's only their third podcast), but they got enough right and offered some names we haven't really discussed here, and at least a little bit of insight on why they should be considered.
Derek Dooley one or two winning seasons in his head coaching career...Harasmyiak would be a great choice.. Rocco and K.C. Keeler would be solid but are older.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Derek Dooley one or two winning seasons in his head coaching career...Harasmyiak would be a great choice.. Rocco and K.C. Keeler would be solid but are older.
I'm on the Harasmyiak train.

However, I didn't know much about Dooley, but in reading about his career, he was once coach of the year in his conference, and when he went to Tennessee, he was the third coach in three years (following Lane Kiffin) and many scholarship players had bolted. Still, he had better than expected offensive production. Almost all of his losses were within the SEC, and it seems losing to Vandy was the straw that broke the camel's back. But, he was also AD at LaTech and did some impressive things that might help Benedict. And I'd imagine that Benedict knows him well enough to have a conversation. I wouldn't completely rule him out.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
completely agree with this. Sometimes interim coaches can catch lightening in a bottle, but that doesn't mean it will work out over the long term. See Coach O at LSU. And I say this as a Coach O fan. Obviously its important for the players to like and respect the head coach, but a lot more goes into running a program year in year out.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought too .... They're front runners ... They only understand College Football one way only... Although I did like the idea of us getting a coach that can come in and get us excited about winning again and hopefully will be able to bring in impactful players right away ....

Reaction Score
I'm on the Harasmyiak train.

However, I didn't know much about Dooley, but in reading about his career, he was once coach of the year in his conference, and when he went to Tennessee, he was the third coach in three years (following Lane Kiffin) and many scholarship players had bolted. Still, he had better than expected offensive production. Almost all of his losses were within the SEC, and it seems losing to Vandy was the straw that broke the camel's back. But, he was also AD at LaTech and did some impressive things that might help Benedict. And I'd imagine that Benedict knows him well enough to have a conversation. I wouldn't completely rule him out.
Derek Dooley is 53 years old, has a 32-41 record as a head coach, and he hasn't been a head coach in 10 years. He is not a candidate.

Reaction Score
I like Moorhead and Lashlee, with Devanney or Orlando as our defensive coordinator, but how about these NFL candidates:

Joe Brady, OC, Carolina Panthers (32 on September 23)
Panthers Bio
My preferred choice if we can nab him, this is the guy behind the LSU offense in 2019. 2019 Broyles Award winner, and he’s very young. He’s never been a head coach, but he’s going to be an NFL one very soon. From Florida, but played at William & Mary. Coached at Penn State under James Franklin and Joe Moorhead, so there’s his small UConn connection.

Eric Bieniemy, Kansas City Chiefs OC (52)
Chiefs Bio
He has interviewed for multiple NFL head coaching jobs, and is hungry to be a head coach, but no team has hired him. A little bit older than I’d like, but he has experience coaching in High School, FBS, and the NFL. The mastermind behind one of the greatest offenses of all time.

I’ve seen Jets fans and Giants fans here, so I’ll include some Patriots coaches:

Josh McDaniels, OC/QB (45)
Patriots Bio
He seems happy in Foxboro, but oh boy if we got him we’d be good on the recruiting trails in New England. He’s young and energetic, and is seen as the Patriots’ coach-in-waiting. Has NFL head coaching experience, and was relatively successful. Bill Belichick doesn’t seem like he’s retiring until he breaks Don Shula’s record or he dies, hopefully the former. McDaniels’ offense could be too complex, though.

Steve Belichick, OLB/de facto co-DC (34)
Patriots Bio
Young with a rich daddy, Steve could be our choice if we want defense cheap. Also seen as a coach-in-waiting for the Patriots.

Matt Patricia, Senior Football Advisor (47 on September 13)
Patriots Bio
As close to a literal rocket scientist as you can get (he’s an aeronautical engineer). NFL head coaching was a little over his head, but maybe he can handle college. Plus, he’s flush with buyout money, so he could be cheap.

Jerod Mayo, ILB/de facto co-DC (35)
Patriots Bio
A fast riser, going to de facto co-DC in only his second year as a coach.

And finally: Troy Brown, WR/KR (50)
Patriots Bio
Mr. Patriot, the consummate team member. Played on both sides of the ball in 2004, but mostly as a receiver from 1993-2007. Only in his second year of coaching, but he was a TV analyst beforehand. Every Patriots fan knows who he is, so he should be a good recruiter in New England.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Derek Dooley is 53 years old, has a 32-41 record as a head coach, and he hasn't been a head coach in 10 years. He is not a candidate.
You're probably right. I just checked when ADDave was at Auburn and he didn't start there until a year after Dooley left so there's likely no personal connection, which is why I thought it possible.

I also wouldn't count out anyone in their early 50s, as much as most of us want someone younger. We've also got at least 12 weeks of silly speculation ahead of us before we get a good hint of who the candidates are.

Reaction Score
I like Moorhead and Lashlee, with Devanney or Orlando as our defensive coordinator, but how about these NFL candidates:

Panthers Bio
My preferred choice if we can nab him, this is the guy behind the LSU offense in 2019. 2019 Broyles Award winner, and he’s very young. He’s never been a head coach, but he’s going to be an NFL one very soon. From Florida, but played at William & Mary. Coached at Penn State under James Franklin and Joe Moorhead, so there’s his small UConn connection.

Chiefs Bio
He has interviewed for multiple NFL head coaching jobs, and is hungry to be a head coach, but no team has hired him. A little bit older than I’d like, but he has experience coaching in High School, FBS, and the NFL. The mastermind behind one of the greatest offenses of all time.

I’ve seen Jets fans and Giants fans here, so I’ll include some Patriots coaches:

Patriots Bio
He seems happy in Foxboro, but oh boy if we got him we’d be good on the recruiting trails in New England. He’s young and energetic, and is seen as the Patriots’ coach-in-waiting. Has NFL head coaching experience, and was relatively successful. Bill Belichick doesn’t seem like he’s retiring until he breaks Don Shula’s record or he dies, hopefully the former. McDaniels’ offense could be too complex, though.

Patriots Bio
Young with a rich daddy, Steve could be our choice if we want defense cheap. Also seen as a coach-in-waiting for the Patriots.

Patriots Bio
As close to a literal rocket scientist as you can get (he’s an aeronautical engineer). NFL head coaching was a little over his head, but maybe he can handle college. Plus, he’s flush with buyout money, so he could be cheap.

Patriots Bio

Patriots Bio
Mr. Patriot, the consummate team member. Played on both sides of the ball in 2004, but mostly as a receiver from 1993-2007. Only in his second year of coaching, but he was a TV analyst beforehand. Every Patriots fan knows who he is, so he should be a good recruiter in New England.
go away

Reaction Score
This search just feels different.

1. Neither Hathaway nor Warde are in charge.
2. We’re out from under Fiascos buyout so there should be money to spend. Somebody wrote that the four coaches for men’s BB make more than the staff combined for football. That ain’t right
3. We have time
4. We have a vision and plan we can sell. Independence. No CR bull Shiite going on
5. We have a good schedule.
6. Chair of Board of Trustees seems all in
7. No real President in place to f this up.
8. It’s a great school.
9. Really good recruiting class if it can be held together.

Reaction Score

Panthers Bio

Chiefs Bio

Patriots Bio

Patriots Bio

Patriots Bio

Patriots Bio

Patriots Bio

No one on the path to becoming a head coach in the NFL is coming here. You can get NFL assistants, but not ones who think they're on track to grab the brass ring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom